Joe Hicketts Recalled by Detroit
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Detroit Red Wings on Thursday recalled defenseman Joe Hicketts from the Grand Rapids Griffins.
The 23-year-old Hicketts has split his fourth pro season between the AHL and NHL. Hicketts ties for 12th among AHL defensemen in scoring with nine points (0-9-9) and ties for fifth in assists while adding a plus-one rating and eight penalty minutes in 11 games for Grand Rapids. He made his NHL season debut with Detroit on Oct. 29 against Edmonton and has played in four games, recording one assist and averaging 18:01 of ice time.
Since becoming the 168th Griffins alumnus to play in the NHL when he made his debut on Jan. 22, 2018, Hicketts has appeared in 20 games for the Red Wings and picked up four assists and two PIM.
A 5-foot-8, 180-pound defenseman, Hicketts has suited up in 215 regular season games with the Griffins since 2016-17, posting 82 points (13-69-82), a plus-eight rating and 147 PIM. He helped Grand Rapids claim the 2017 Calder Cup as a rookie and in total has made 29 Calder Cup Playoff appearances, showing 11 points (1-10-11), a plus-seven rating and 18 PIM.
A native of Kamloops, British Columbia, Hicketts represented Canada on two occasions at the World Junior Championship, winning gold in 2015 and serving as an alternate captain in 2016.
The Griffins (7-6-1-1) host the Rockford IceHogs on Friday at 7 p.m.
Single-game tickets are currently on sale. Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2 or visit griffinshockey.com for more information.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 14, 2019
- Blue Jackets Recall Forward Markus Hannikainen from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Barracuda to Celebrate the City They Call Home on Sunday for "408 Night" - San Jose Barracuda
- Bears Set to Host Hockey Fights Cancer Night Saturday - Hershey Bears
- Warm up with the IceHogs During Stroll on State - Rockford IceHogs
- Griffins Sign Blake Hillman to Professional Tryout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Recall Forward Derek Barach from ECHL's Jacksonville IceMen - Cleveland Monsters
- Joe Hicketts Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Center Rhett Gardner Recalled by Dallas Stars - Texas Stars
- T-Birds Visit Penguins & Devils in 2-Game Weekend - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Ontario Reign Recall Forward Mason Bergh - Ontario Reign
- Beaudin and Davidsson Reassigned to Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Barracuda Allow Five in the Third, Fall 9-3 at San Diego - San Jose Barracuda
- Carrick Scores Hat Trick, Gulls Crush San Jose, 9-3 - San Diego Gulls
- Berdin and Moose Take down Stars - Manitoba Moose
- Hudon Records Hat Trick But Rocket Fall 5-4 in OT to the Belleville Senators - Laval Rocket
- Admirals Overpower Wolves - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Griffins Stories
- Chris Terry Named Griffins' 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Join the Griffins in Helping Kids' Food Basket's COVID-19 Emergency Response
- Griffins Ink Patrick Curry to Two-Year Deal
- Max Humitz, Tory Dello Signed to One-Year Contracts
- Puempel and Pickard Power Griffins to Win