Belleville Riding Nine-Game Point Streak into Homestand
It's been a franchise defining nine games for the Belleville Senators who return home this week on a nine-game point streak.
The Senators, who have gone 6-0-0-3 over the streak, sit just five points behind Utica and Toronto in the North Division playoff race.
"It's just consistency from us," Sens captain Erik Burgdoerfer said. "Obviously, our first line is really clicking, as has our power play, but up and down the line-up we've been clicking and haven't been giving up a ton against and our goaltenders have been playing well.
"It's going to take the same effort every night and we have to be consistent in our effort and I think things will continue to happen."
Part of the Sens' spark over the past nine games has been the play of the team's first line of Drake Batherson, Logan Brown and Nick Paul who have combined for 28 points over their last four games, all of which were wins. Batherson is currently riding a nine-game point streak while Brown has points in his last eight.
"I think Drake and I were playing pretty good hockey and then we got put together and it seemed like it started clicking," Brown said. "As soon as Nick came down that's a huge addition for our team and especially our line as he opens up so much space. It's three big guys who can all move the puck and score goals so it's been a lot of fun."
The stakes continue to climb for Belleville over the homestand with four divisional contests starting with Syracuse Wednesday, a back-to-back with Cleveland and a Family Day matinee with the Laval Rocket Monday.
Belleville is 14-8-0-1 at CAA Arena this season and with four games in six days at home, it presents another opportunity to build on their recent successes.
"This homestand is huge for us," Burgdoerfer said. "It'll be a good test for us. We've got to keep our foot down on the gas here because there's still some work to do and we've got to keep digging out of our hole."
With 24 games left in the regular season, the Senators still have to make a push. But one thing's for certain, they've put themselves in a position to make the playoffs for the first time in franchise history.
"We've said all along we need to go on a bit of a heater," Brown said. "We were a few points back and we've closed the gap the last couple of weeks.
"We're confident in our group and if we keep playing our game and doing the things we've been doing, things will continue to turn around for us."
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 12, 2019
- Eagles Come up Short in 2-1 Loss to San Diego - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Finish Road Trip with Solid Win in Rockford - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop 5-2 Decision to Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Week 19 Report: Season-Long Winning Streak Capped at 6 - Rockford IceHogs
- Abramov and Sherwood Tally Two Goals Each for Monsters in 5-2 Win over Rochester - Cleveland Monsters
- Samuelsson Loaned to ECHL's Idaho Steelheads - Rockford IceHogs
- 'Canes Reassign Brown to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Jan Rutta from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Barracuda Sign Veteran Forward T.J. Hensick - San Jose Barracuda
- Game #45 Preview: Tucson at San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flyers Recall G Mike McKenna from Conditioning Loan - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Reassign Brown and Spinozzi to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Barracuda Recall Forward Colby McAuley from Orlando - San Jose Barracuda
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Jonne Tammela to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Recall Reid Gardiner from Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Weekly: Penguins Return Home for Military Appreciation Night on Saturday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rangers Acquire Seventh-Round Pick in 2020 NHL Entry Draft for Marek Mazanec - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly â?? February 12, 2019 - Syracuse Crunch
- Belleville Riding Nine-Game Point Streak into Homestand - Belleville Senators
- Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Remains One of the AHL's Hottest Teams - Hershey Bears
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 19 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Sign Nikita Popugaev to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Ottawa Recalls Archibald, Gustavsson - Belleville Senators
- Flyers Loan Brian Elliott to Phantoms for Conditioning - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Xavier Ouellet Named Captain of the Laval Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Sami Niku to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.