Abramov and Sherwood Tally Two Goals Each for Monsters in 5-2 Win over Rochester
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters defeated the Rochester Americans, 5-2, on Tuesday night at The Q. With the win, the Monsters improve to 23-21-5-1 overall this season and with 52 points, sit alone in sixth place in the AHL's North Division standings.
The Monsters got the scoring started in the first period when Kole Sherwood poked home a loose puck in front of the net from Sam Vigneault at 15:53 to give Cleveland a 1-0 edge. In the middle frame, Remi Elie netted an even-strength goal at 2:46 to even the score, 1-1.
In the final period, Vitaly Abramov tallied an even-strength goal at 4:22, courtesy of Nikita Korostelev, to give the Monsters a 2-1 lead. Abramov picked up his second goal of the night at 11:28 thanks to assists from Ryan MacInnis and Korostelev, to give Cleveland a 3-1 advantage. The Monsters piled on moments later when Sherwood lit the lamp for his second goal of the night, this one from Adam Clendening at 13:08 to push Cleveland's lead to 4-1. The Amerks got one back at 13:59 when Wayne Simpson scored an even-strength marker to pull Rochester to a 4-2 score. Paul Bittner finished the scoring for the evening at 17:48 of the third frame, netting an empty-net goal with an assist from Dan DeSalvo to seal a Monsters 5-2 victory.
Cleveland goaltender Jean-Francois Berube stopped 26 of the 28 shots he faced to improve to 15-15-4 on the season, while Rochester netminder Scott Wedgewood stopped 29 of the 33 shots he faced to drop to 17-8-2 on the year.
Next up for the Monsters, it's a Friday road matchup versus the Belleville Senators with full coverage, live from CAA Arena, underway at 7:00 pm on Alt 99.1, AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Cleveland Monsters tickets for the hottest games of the year on sale now and start at only $10 per seat! Additionally, 2019-20 Monsters Hockey Club memberships, including the best seats for each game, the lowest ticket prices, exclusive year-round benefits and free gear are also on sale now. Visit www.clevelandmonsters.com/holiday or by calling the Monsters sales and service team at 216-420-0000. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
Images from this story
Cleveland Monsters react after a goal against the Rochester Americans
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 12, 2019
- Eagles Come up Short in 2-1 Loss to San Diego - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Finish Road Trip with Solid Win in Rockford - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop 5-2 Decision to Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Week 19 Report: Season-Long Winning Streak Capped at 6 - Rockford IceHogs
- Abramov and Sherwood Tally Two Goals Each for Monsters in 5-2 Win over Rochester - Cleveland Monsters
- Samuelsson Loaned to ECHL's Idaho Steelheads - Rockford IceHogs
- 'Canes Reassign Brown to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Jan Rutta from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Barracuda Sign Veteran Forward T.J. Hensick - San Jose Barracuda
- Game #45 Preview: Tucson at San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flyers Recall G Mike McKenna from Conditioning Loan - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Reassign Brown and Spinozzi to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Barracuda Recall Forward Colby McAuley from Orlando - San Jose Barracuda
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Jonne Tammela to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Recall Reid Gardiner from Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Weekly: Penguins Return Home for Military Appreciation Night on Saturday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rangers Acquire Seventh-Round Pick in 2020 NHL Entry Draft for Marek Mazanec - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly â?? February 12, 2019 - Syracuse Crunch
- Belleville Riding Nine-Game Point Streak into Homestand - Belleville Senators
- Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Remains One of the AHL's Hottest Teams - Hershey Bears
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 19 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Sign Nikita Popugaev to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Ottawa Recalls Archibald, Gustavsson - Belleville Senators
- Flyers Loan Brian Elliott to Phantoms for Conditioning - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Xavier Ouellet Named Captain of the Laval Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Sami Niku to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Derek Barach Inks AHL Contract with Monsters for 2019-20 Season
- Monsters Top Crunch 5-3, Grab 1-0 Lead in North Division Semi-Final
- Blue Jackets Reassign Liam Foudy to Monsters from OHL's London Knights
- Blue Jackets Assign Center Zac Dalpe to Monsters
- Monsters Sign Goaltender Jeff Smith to Professional Tryout Contract