Xavier Ouellet Named Captain of the Laval Rocket
LAVAL - The Laval Rocket announced today that Xavier Ouellet has been appointed captain of the club, after being chosen by the coaching staff and Montreal Canadiens' management. Ouellet becomes the second player in franchise history to assume team's captaincy.
The native of Bayonne, France, had an immediate impact upon his arrival with the club, posting 17 points (3 goals, 14 assists) in 21 contests. The 25-year old defenseman suited up for 19 games with the Montreal Canadiens at the start of the season, collecting three helpers.
Ouellet entered his sixth year in professional hockey in 2018-19, his first with the Montreal Canadiens organization. A second-round selection of the Detroit Red Wings (48th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, the 6-foot-1, 185-pound left-handed blue liner played a total of 160 NHL games since the start of his career, posting 26 points (5 goals and 21 assists) with the Red Wings and the Canadiens.
Over the course of his AHL career, Ouellet has tallied 12 times and added 67 assists for 79 points in 204 regular season games with the Grand Rapids Griffins and the Rocket. He also collected three goals and seven helpers in 33 AHL playoff contests. He was named an AHL All-Star in 2014-15 and 2015-16.
Ouellet played his Junior hockey with the QMJHL's Montreal Junior and the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada between the 2009-10 and 2012-13 seasons. Ouellet wore the ''C'' on his jersey for two seasons in Blainville-Boisbriand, while under head coach Joël Bouchard. He finished his four-year Junior career with 41 goals and 119 assists, good for 160 points, served 177 penalty minutes, and recorded a plus-61 differential in 223 regular season games. In 43 QMJHL playoff contests, Ouellet recorded 10 tallies and 27 helpers.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 12, 2019
- Eagles Come up Short in 2-1 Loss to San Diego - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Finish Road Trip with Solid Win in Rockford - Texas Stars
- Amerks Drop 5-2 Decision to Monsters - Rochester Americans
- Week 19 Report: Season-Long Winning Streak Capped at 6 - Rockford IceHogs
- Abramov and Sherwood Tally Two Goals Each for Monsters in 5-2 Win over Rochester - Cleveland Monsters
- Samuelsson Loaned to ECHL's Idaho Steelheads - Rockford IceHogs
- 'Canes Reassign Brown to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Defenseman Jan Rutta from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Barracuda Sign Veteran Forward T.J. Hensick - San Jose Barracuda
- Game #45 Preview: Tucson at San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Flyers Recall G Mike McKenna from Conditioning Loan - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Reassign Brown and Spinozzi to Wheeling - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Barracuda Recall Forward Colby McAuley from Orlando - San Jose Barracuda
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Jonne Tammela to Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Comets Recall Reid Gardiner from Kalamazoo - Utica Comets
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Weekly: Penguins Return Home for Military Appreciation Night on Saturday - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Rangers Acquire Seventh-Round Pick in 2020 NHL Entry Draft for Marek Mazanec - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly â?? February 12, 2019 - Syracuse Crunch
- Belleville Riding Nine-Game Point Streak into Homestand - Belleville Senators
- Moose Announce Roster Moves - Manitoba Moose
- Bears Weekly: Hershey Remains One of the AHL's Hottest Teams - Hershey Bears
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 19 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Sign Nikita Popugaev to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Ottawa Recalls Archibald, Gustavsson - Belleville Senators
- Flyers Loan Brian Elliott to Phantoms for Conditioning - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Xavier Ouellet Named Captain of the Laval Rocket - Laval Rocket
- Jets Reassign Sami Niku to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Jevpalovs Scores Highlight Reel Goal in Dramatic Overtime Victory to End Season
- Struthers Gets First Pro Goal in 5-1 Loss to Syracuse
- Bridgeport Sound Tigers Defeat Rocket 2-1
- Rocket Score Four Goals in the Third Period to Defeat Hershey 5-2 in Front of 8,643 Fans
- Cleveland Defeats Laval 3-2 with Late Third Period Goal