Bears Open Road Trip With Split
The Hershey Bears Hockey Club opened its four-game swing away from Chocolatetown with one win and one loss this past weekend. On Friday, the Bears took on the Binghamton Senators for the first time this season in the Southern Tier, and came away with a 4-2 victory. The Bears spotted the B-Sens a 2-0 lead by the time the game was 7:05 old. Jim O'Brien and Buddy Robinson tallied goals for the Senators, but David Leggio would settle into a groove and turn aside the rest of the 39 total shots he faced to earn second-star honors. Tyson Strachan recorded a goal and two assists for the game's third star, while Nicolas Deschamps stole the show by scoring the go-ahead marker and the insurance tally. Josh Brittain registered the tying goal, his second strike of the season.
On Saturday, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers used strong special teams to defeat the Bears by a 4-2 count. David Kolomatis scored on the Bears' second of six first-period power plays to give the visitors the lead, but Jon Sim tied the game on a two-man advantage late in the first. Anders Lee then scored a pair of second-period power play goals, and Ryan Strome - who assisted on all three Bridgeport tallies - hit the empty net with tenths of a second remaining on the clock to punctuate the win.
The Bears return to Binghamton to face the Senators on Wednesday. The club wraps up the four-game swing on Friday with a visit to the Wilkes- Barre/Scranton Penguins. Binghamton travels to Chocolatetown on Saturday to face the Bears at 7:00 PM.
HERSHEY BEARS NEWS AND NOTES
SUCCESS UP TOP: Rookie D Nate Schmidt, who tallied a goal in his only appearance of the season with the Bears (opening night October 5 vs. Adirondack), struck for goals in back-to-back games this past weekend with the Washington Capitals. After scoring his first NHL goal on Saturday vs. Nashville at Verizon Center, Schmidt added the Capitals' fourth goal in Sunday's win over the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden.
Also on Sunday, goaltender Philipp Grubauer picked up his first NHL victory with a 30-save performance over the Rangers. Grubauer, on recall due to an injury to Michal Neuvirth, became the second German-born netminder to pick up a victory in the NHL. Grubauer is 4-4-1 with a goals- against average of 2.60 and save percentage of .910 in nine appearances with the Bears.
DOUBLE DIP FOR DESCHAMPS: L W Nicolas Deschamps became the fourth Bears player to record a multiple-goal game this season with his two-tally performance on Friday night at Binghamton. All three of the other players (Peter LeBlanc 2-1-3, Nathan Walker 2-0-2 and Casey Wellman 3-0-3) registered theirs on the same date (November 14 at Charlotte, 8-1 victory).
STRACHAN STRIKES: D Tyson Strachan became the 22nd different Bears player to record a goal with his first-period goal on Friday night at Binghamton. He also added two assists for a three-point night and third- star honors in his first game back from a three-week recall to Washington.
JOHNSON JUMPS ON BOARD: The Bears now have an AHL-best 23 different players who have lit the lamp this season, following Jamie Johnson's first goal in a Hershey sweater on Saturday night at Bridgeport.
KOLOMATIS LEADS THE D: D David Kolomatis' power play goal on Saturday puts him in the lead among Bears defensemen and fourth among his Bears teammates in scoring. He shows 11 points (three goals, eight assists) in 17 games played.
TWO FOR THE MONEY: The Bears are 5-0-0-0 when allowing two goals in a game this season.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 9, 2013
- Minnesota Wild Assigns Forward Erik Haula to Iowa - Iowa Wild
- December 13 Is Clinton Comets Night - Utica Comets
- Comets Corner with Pascal Pelletier - Utica Comets
- Surging Sharks Riding a Six Game Point Streak - Worcester Sharks
- Rangers Recall Arron Asham from Hartford - Hartford Wolf Pack
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Weekly, December 9-15 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Rampage Host 9th Annual Teddy Bear Toss on Saturday - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers to Hold Pink Rink Night this Saturday - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rock Report - St. John's IceCaps
- Blackhawks Recall Simpson - Rockford IceHogs
- Falcons Weekly Notes - Springfield Falcons
- Rockford Takes Three of Four Points in Week 10 - Rockford IceHogs
- Christmas Reminders for IceCaps Fans - St. John's IceCaps
- Strome Named AHL/CCM Player of the Week - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bridgeport's Ryan Strome Repeats as CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Hardball Cafe Opened up for Individual Ticket Sales for Outdoor Game - Rochester Americans
- Flames Assign Derek Smith to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Dallas Stars Recall Colton Sceviour from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- McGinn Recalled by Flyers - Adirondack Phantoms
- Toy Toss Highlights Back-To-Back Bulldogs Home Games This Weekend - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Bears Open Road Trip With Split - Hershey Bears
- Tim Erixon Recalled by Columbus Blue Jackets - Springfield Falcons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.