Bats Top Tribe as Indy Eliminated from Playoff Contention
LOUISVILLE, KY. - The Louisville Bats topped the Indianapolis Indians on Sunday night, 10-2. With the defeat and a pair of results around the International League, the Indians were eliminated from playoff contention. The Toledo Mud Hens secured the West Division crown after beating the Columbus Clippers.
The Indians (72-67) were looking to repeat as champions of the West Division but needed a victory and Toledo loss for it to be possible on the final day of the season on Labor Day. The Mud Hens had topped Columbus earlier, and the victory by Scranton/Wilkes-Barre shortly after the Tribe's loss cemented Indy's fate by eliminating them from the wild card.
Louisville (61-75) jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Hernan Iribarren recorded a one-out double, then moved to third on an infield hit by Gabriel Guerrero. Following a walk to Brian O'Grady, Tim Fedorowicz singled to left to plate a pair of runs.
The Bats added two more runs in the second, but Indianapolis cut the lead in half with two in the fourth. Jordan Luplow led off with a double into the left-field corner. He scored on Ryan Lavarnway's single to right field. Eric Wood would drive home Lavarnway, and it trimmed Louisville's advantage to 4-2.
A pair of homers by Guerrero and Steve Selsky pushed the Bats' lead back to four runs, and they would go on to score four more in the 10-2 victory.
J.T. Brubaker (8-4) allowed six runs, but just four were earned over his six innings. Justin Nicolino (6-6) worked six frames and earned the victory.
The Indians will now conclude the 2018 season on Monday afternoon in Louisville at 1 p.m. For more on the Tribe, visit IndyIndians.com.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 2, 2018
- Guerrero, Fields Homer in 4-3 Herd Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Voth Stellar, Chiefs Hold on Late for 4-3 Win over the Bisons - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Top Tribe as Indy Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Walk off against Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pigs to Face RailRiders in Opening Playoff Series - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Punch Ticket to Postseason on Season's Penultimate Day - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mashers Record Three Homers in 10-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Devers, Phillips Combine for Four Hits in 3-2 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wiel Homer Wins It for Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Rochester Walks off against IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- We're in: Mud Hens Make Playoffs - Toledo Mud Hens
- Durham Drops Sunday Tilt to Tides - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Bats Explode for 10-5 Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Drop Sunday's Game to Stripers 2-0 - Charlotte Knights
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (72-66) at Louisville Bats (60-75) - Indianapolis Indians
- Walker Wows in Triple-A Debut as Stripers Win 2-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- The Setup: Lehigh Valley in Pursuit of Record Win Total - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Sunday, September 2, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: September 2 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes 9-2 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Mashers/Bats Homestand Highlights: September 2-3 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Former Tribe Third Baseman Ke'Bryan Hayes Named to Baseball America's MLB All-Rookie Team
- Indianapolis Indians Charities Golf Outing Recap
- This Date in Indians History - September
- Special Olympics Indiana 2020 State Softball Championship Games Coming to Victory Field
- Five MLB Playoff Teams Feature Former Indianapolis Indians