Red Wings Walk off against Lehigh Valley
The IronPigs built a 2-0 lead in the top of the first against Omar Bencomo. Collin Cowgill got the scoring going with an RBI double, his 16th two-bagger of the year. Two hitters later, Joey Meneses singled to make it 2-0 IronPigs.
The Red Wings went on to score four unanswered runs against Tom Eshelman in the second and third. Eshelman went six-innings and allowed seven hits and four runs while striking out seven. It is the third time in 2018 that Eshelman has stuck out seven or more batters.
Trailing 4-2 in the top of the seventh inning, Danny Ortiz provided another go-ahead hit for the Pigs. Ortiz blasted a three-run home run to center field to give the IronPigs a 5-4 lead.
Ben Lively was first out of the pen in relief of Eshelman, who left in line for the win. Lively and Jeff Singer each provided an inning of relief to hold the Pigs' lead at one.
Edgar Garcia (0-1) came on to shut the door but was unable to record an out in the bottom of the ninth. Jon Kramer led off the inning with a double and Wiel, the very next batter for Rochester, homered to left field to walk-off the game.
The IronPigs wrap up the regular season Monday at 1:05 p.m. in Rochester. The Pigs will send Ranger Suarez to hill to regular season finale.
The IronPigs will return to Coca-Cola Park on Friday, September 7 for Game 3 of the IL-Divisional Round against the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders. Don't forget to wear red to support the Pigs throughout the playoffs, which are presented by Provident Bank. Before the game, 5,000 guests will receive an IronPigs rally towel presented by Service Electric Cable TV & Communications. Following the game, enjoy a special postgame fireworks display. Get tickets at here.
The 2018 Season is the IronPigs' 11th season at Coca-Cola Park and 11th as the top affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies. Fans can get closer to the team than ever before with a Bacon, USA membership -- a year-round IronPigs experience pass featuring numerous amenities such as savings on parking at games and at the Majestic Clubhouse Store at Coca-Cola Park, on-field VIP access to watch batting practice, access to the annual holiday party, and more. For more information, go to click here or call (610) 841-PIGS (7447).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 2, 2018
- Guerrero, Fields Homer in 4-3 Herd Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Voth Stellar, Chiefs Hold on Late for 4-3 Win over the Bisons - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Top Tribe as Indy Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Walk off against Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pigs to Face RailRiders in Opening Playoff Series - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Punch Ticket to Postseason on Season's Penultimate Day - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mashers Record Three Homers in 10-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Devers, Phillips Combine for Four Hits in 3-2 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wiel Homer Wins It for Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Rochester Walks off against IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- We're in: Mud Hens Make Playoffs - Toledo Mud Hens
- Durham Drops Sunday Tilt to Tides - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Bats Explode for 10-5 Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Drop Sunday's Game to Stripers 2-0 - Charlotte Knights
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (72-66) at Louisville Bats (60-75) - Indianapolis Indians
- Walker Wows in Triple-A Debut as Stripers Win 2-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- The Setup: Lehigh Valley in Pursuit of Record Win Total - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Sunday, September 2, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: September 2 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes 9-2 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Mashers/Bats Homestand Highlights: September 2-3 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.