Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (72-66) at Louisville Bats (60-75)
The Indians continue their Labor Day Weekend series with Louisville tonight in Kentucky. Game notes are attached.
Location: Louisville Slugger Field
First Pitch: 6:00 p.m. EDT
Game #139 / Road #69: Indianapolis Indians (72-66) @ Louisville Bats (60-75)
Probables: RHP J.T. Brubaker (8-3, 2.95) @ LHP Justin Nicolino (5-6, 4.77)
Radio: Fox Sports 97.5 / AM 1260 / iHeart app
TV: MiLB TV
ABOUT LAST NIGHT: The Indians scored four runs in the second inning and never looked back en route to a 5-2 win over the Bats last night, giving Indy its 40th home win of the season. The Tribe loaded the bases with no outs in the second but almost came up empty. Jason Martin tied the game with a two-out infield single to second, and Max Moroff followed with a two-run single up the middle. Another run eventually crossed home thanks to an error and passed ball by the Bats. Brandon Waddell (W, 5-8) tossed 6.0 innings and surrendered just four hits and one run, walking one and fanning two. The victory was his first since July 13 vs. Toledo. Indy had lost in seven of Waddell's previous eight starts prior to winning last night's game. Juan Martinez (L, 0-1) took the loss for Louisville. Eric Wood finished with a game-high three hits, his fourth three-hit performance of 2018.
KEEP SCRATCHING: The Indians are in tight races in both the IL West and IL Wild Card races. The Tribe enter tonight's game in Louisville in a tie for second place in the IL West with Columbus, as both the Indians and Clippers sit a half-game back of Toledo. Columbus and Indy are both tied for the lead with Scranton/Wilkes-Barre in the IL Wild Card, as well, but the RailRiders have a slightly better winning percentage because they have played two fewer games. If the Indians win tonight, they'll head into Labor Day and the season finale with a chance to win the IL West, no matter the outcome in Columbus between the Clippers and Mud Hens this afternoon.
THERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE: The Tribe can still reach the playoffs by splitting the next two games in Louisville, but that would require the PawSox going 2-0 against Scranton/W-B AND either Columbus going 2-0 or 0-2 against Toledo. If Indy goes 1-1, SWB goes 0-2 and Columbus goes 2-0, the Indians would be the IL Wild Card winner by a half-game over Toledo and one game over SWB. If Indy goes 1-1, SWB goes 0-2 and Toledo goes 2-0, the Indians would be the IL Wild Card winner by 1.0 game over both SWB and Columbus.
CLOSE OUTCOMES IN LOUISVILLE: Indy has lost three consecutive games at Louisville Slugger Field and five in eight matchups there this season. All five of Indy's losses at Louisville have been by two runs or less: 3-1, 4-3, 3-2, 5-4, 4-2. The season series is tied 9-9 as Indy looks to win the head-to-head series with Louisville for a second straight season; the last time Indy won the season series over the Bats in back-to-back years was a three-year stretch from 1998-2000 (11-5, 9-7, 13-3).
WHAT A YEAR: Victory Field welcomed 14,624 fans through its gates for the Indians' home finale last night, the second-largest crowd of the season and fifth sellout in 2018. Indy finished with an overall attendance of 619,122, second to only Charlotte in all of Minor League Baseball. The Indians have exceeded 600,000 fans in 12 of Victory Field's 22 full seasons. Ballpark Digest recently announced the Indianapolis Indians as its 2018 Team of the Year.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 2, 2018
- Guerrero, Fields Homer in 4-3 Herd Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Voth Stellar, Chiefs Hold on Late for 4-3 Win over the Bisons - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Top Tribe as Indy Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Walk off against Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pigs to Face RailRiders in Opening Playoff Series - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Punch Ticket to Postseason on Season's Penultimate Day - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mashers Record Three Homers in 10-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Devers, Phillips Combine for Four Hits in 3-2 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wiel Homer Wins It for Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Rochester Walks off against IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- We're in: Mud Hens Make Playoffs - Toledo Mud Hens
- Durham Drops Sunday Tilt to Tides - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Bats Explode for 10-5 Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Drop Sunday's Game to Stripers 2-0 - Charlotte Knights
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (72-66) at Louisville Bats (60-75) - Indianapolis Indians
- Walker Wows in Triple-A Debut as Stripers Win 2-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- The Setup: Lehigh Valley in Pursuit of Record Win Total - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Sunday, September 2, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: September 2 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes 9-2 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Mashers/Bats Homestand Highlights: September 2-3 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Indians Clipped by Bats in 10 Innings, 3-1
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (9-5) vs. Louisville Bats (7-9)
- Tucker Recalled, Reynolds' Contract Selected by Pirates
- Bats Best Tribe Behind Three-Run First
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (9-4) vs. Louisville Bats (6-9)