Mud Hens Bats Explode for 10-5 Victory
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Toledo Mud Hens defeated the Columbus Clippers by a score of 10-5.
The Mud Hens nearly scored to open the game, but Jacob Robson was thrown out at home. Columbus got off to a quick start in the bottom of the first inning. Bobby Bradley doubled off of Toledo starter Matt Hall to drive in Oscar Mercado and Adam Rosales.
A couple innings later the Mud Hens struck back with a solo shot from Robson. That was just the tip of the iceberg for the offense. Daz Cameron and Willi Castro both drove in a pair of runs to give Toledo a lead.
The Toledo bats exploded again in the fifth inning. Harold Castro and Jarrod Saltalamacchia each singled home runs, followed by a sacrifice fly by Christin Stewart. Jason Krizan provided the big blow by singling two runs across the plate.
Hall gave up another run in the bottom half of the fifth as Mercado doubled to bring home Drew Maggi. Josh Smoker would come out of the Hen Pen in the seventh inning and surrendered a pair of runs. Following him was Kevin Comer in the eighth inning and set the Clippers down in order.
Comer remained in the game for the ninth inning. He recorded three more straight outs to secure the win and continue the Mud Hens quest for postseason play.
In search of their first postseason berth since 2007, the Mud Hens will conclude the regular season tomorrow. First pitch from Huntington Park will be thrown at 2:05 pm.
#RoadToDetroit Report (rankings according to MLB.com 2018 Prospect Watch):
6. OF Christin Stewart: 1-for-3, single, RBI, run, walk
8. OF Daz Cameron: 1-for-4, double, 2 runs, 2 RBI
9. RHP Kyle Funkhouser: DNP (DL)
10. IF Willi Castro: 1-for-5, single, 2 RBI
16. OF Jacob Robson: 3-for-5, homerun, 2 runs, RBI
20. RHP Bryan Garcia: DNP (DL)
21. LHP Matt Hall: DNP
22. LHP Tyler Alexander: DNP
26. OF Mike Gerber: DNP
- The Detroit Tigers on Thursday optioned LHP Josh Smoker to the Mud Hens. Prior to Saturday's game, IF Edwin Espinal was assigned from Toledo to Double-A Erie.
- With a single in the top of the third inning, Christin Stewart extended his hitting streak to 11 consecutive games.
-.With the early game, the fate of the Mud Hens falls to the later games. A loss by Scranton Wilkes/Barre would secure a wild card, and a loss from Indianapolis secures the division.
- This is the fifth time this season that the Mud Hens have scored 10 or more runs, the last time it happened was May 30 at Syracuse.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 2, 2018
- Guerrero, Fields Homer in 4-3 Herd Loss - Buffalo Bisons
- Voth Stellar, Chiefs Hold on Late for 4-3 Win over the Bisons - Syracuse Mets
- Bats Top Tribe as Indy Eliminated from Playoff Contention - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Walk off against Lehigh Valley - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Pigs to Face RailRiders in Opening Playoff Series - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- RailRiders Punch Ticket to Postseason on Season's Penultimate Day - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Mashers Record Three Homers in 10-2 Win - Louisville Bats
- Devers, Phillips Combine for Four Hits in 3-2 Loss - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Wiel Homer Wins It for Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Rochester Walks off against IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- We're in: Mud Hens Make Playoffs - Toledo Mud Hens
- Durham Drops Sunday Tilt to Tides - Durham Bulls
- Mud Hens Bats Explode for 10-5 Victory - Toledo Mud Hens
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Knights Drop Sunday's Game to Stripers 2-0 - Charlotte Knights
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (72-66) at Louisville Bats (60-75) - Indianapolis Indians
- Walker Wows in Triple-A Debut as Stripers Win 2-0 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Syracuse (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- The Setup: Lehigh Valley in Pursuit of Record Win Total - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Sunday, September 2, 2018 - Durham Bulls
- Louisville Bats Notes: September 2 - Louisville Bats
- LHV Game Notes 9-2 - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Louisville Mashers/Bats Homestand Highlights: September 2-3 - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.