Barracuda Snap Skid with 2-1 Shootout Win
San Jose, Ca - The San Jose Barracuda (27-11-2-4) returned back to SAP Center on Tuesday to take on the Tucson Roadrunners (24-15-4-2) (Arizona Coyotes) and found a way to edge out the visitors, 2-1, in a shootout, snapping a season-long three-game skid.
Antoine Bibeau (11-6-5) collected the win by making 23 saves on 24 shots in 65 minutes of work while Adin Hill (6-6-0) took the hard-luck loss after giving up a goal on 40 attempts.
In the first, San Jose and Tucson combined for just 10 shots and despite the Roadrunners going on a pair of power-plays, the game remained 0-0 through 20 minutes.
In the second, the Barracuda outshot the Roadrunners 22-to-nine but Hill made a plethora point-blank saves to preserve the scoreless game. In the second, each team had a man-advantage but the defensive duel continued.
With 1:19 left in the third, Jeremy Gregoire (7) collected a Robbie Russo pass-shot that trickled through traffic into the low-slot and lifted the go-ahead goal over Bibeau's left pad as Gregoire moved from left-to-right. Down late and with their net pulled, Barracuda captain John McCarthy drew a slashing penalty and on the man-advantage, with the extra attacker, Nick DeSimone (9) knifed in a shot from the mid-point to even the score at 19:45, forcing OT.
In the extra session, San Jose outshot Tucson five-to-one but the game needed a shootout to decide it. Entering Tuesday, the Barracuda were just 1-4 in shootouts this season but in the bottom of the third round, Francis Perron beat Hill with a forehand-backhand move to seal the victory after Jordan Gross had answered Alex True's shootout goal in the top of the third round.
The Barracuda are back in action at 1:15 PM on Saturday when they take on the San Diego Gulls (Anaheim Ducks). Catch all the exciting broadcast action on the Sharks + SAP Center App and watch on AHL TV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2019
- Wolves Frozen by Manitoba - Chicago Wolves
- RECAP: Penguins Battle Bears to Shootout, Lose 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Rally Twice in Third Period to Beat Pens - Hershey Bears
- Hogberg Blanks Syracuse in Senators Win - Belleville Senators
- Gettinger's Late Goal Lifts Wolf Pack over Marlies - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Blanked by Senators, 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Balanced Attack Helps Comets Top Rocket - Utica Comets
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Jones, Assign Holzer to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Toninato Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Super Hero Night, Discovery Night Cap Six-Game Homestand - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Kick off Three Game Road Trip in Hartford - Toronto Marlies
- Fox Sports 1450 AM Ticket Takeover Happening this Friday - Tucson Roadrunners
- Binghamton Devils, STHA to Host Try Hockey Free Day February 23 - Binghamton Devils
- CAA Arena to Host 2019 Rookie Showcase - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Mathieu Joseph from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Heat Look to Tame Condors Wednesday in Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Vinni Lettieri Returned by Rangers; Ty Ronning Reassigned from Maine and Matt Petgrave Released from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Division-Leading Griffins Continue Extended Stay at Home against Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Condors Can Make It 13 Straight Wins Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Crunch, February 13 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Hogs Hang Around Late Before Coming up Just Short against Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Shorthanded Roadrunners Grind for a Point Tuesday Night in San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Snap Skid with 2-1 Shootout Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Glass Backstops Gulls to Road Win at Colorado - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.