Glass Backstops Gulls to Road Win at Colorado
The Gulls defeated the Colorado Eagles 2-1 at Budweiser Events Center. San Diego now has wins in 15 of their last 19 games (15-4-1-0) and points in 21 of 25 (18-4-1-2), in addition to points in 13 of their last 15 road games (10-1-1-2).
Jeff Glass stopped 29-of-30 shots en route to his seventh win of the season and fourth his past six games.
Chase De Leo tied a career high with points in six straight games (5-3=8) with his 14th goal of the season. The goal tied his prior six-game point streak set earlier this season from Dec. 19-30 (2-5=7). Kiefer Sherwood earned his fourth assist of the season and Ben Thomson picked up his first point (assist) in 19 games on the De Leo goal.
Corey Tropp scored for the third straight game, his 14th of the season on the power play at 12:03 of the first period. Tropp has scored four goals the last three games (4-1=5). The goal streak marks the longest since he recorded a career high five-game goal streak from Feb. 28-Mar. 10, 2017 (5-3=8).
Kalle Kossila and Trevor Murphy added assists on the Tropp goal. Kossila has now picked up 3-8=11 points his last 10 games.
San Diego and Colorado will conclude the back-to-back matchup tomorrow night at Budweiser Events Center (6:05 p.m. PT) before concluding a six-game road trip at San Jose at SAP Center on Saturday, Feb. 16 (1:15 p.m. PT) and Monday, Feb. 18 (1:15 p.m. PT).
San Diego Gulls
On the game
That feels good after the Bakersfield game. Credit to the guys tonight, they came out hard. Any time you can get up 2-0 in the first period, it makes my job a whole lot easier. It was a lot of fun to play tonight.
On facing Colorado tomorrow
It's a division game, too. We realize how close it is right now. Every game counts. These games are a lot of fun. That was a close, hard-fought game and I think if we play that way night in, night out we have a good chance winning down the stretch here.
Chase De Leo
On the game
It was definitely a special teams battle there. Kind of a boring game back-and-forth. I thought both goalies did a good job. It was one of those games where you find a way to get the two points and that's all that matters.
On his six-game point streak
Hard work is paying off and our line is doing a good job chipping in when we get out there and do our job. It's definitely nice to get rewarded with some points, but at the end of the day, all that matters is the two points for the team and that was a big one for us.
On Jeff Glass
He had a huge game. He's done a really good job for us and definitely a couple big breakaway saves and crucial times of the game where he stands up for us and stands on his head. He did a really good job for us and we expect him to keep doing the same.
Head Coach Dallas Eakins
On taking short shifts
The guys were excellent, they understood it. Being at this altitude kind of makes you get off the ice a little bit earlier. As a group, I thought we really took that to heart
On the power play
We were able to enter with control which is what we want to do and we execute the five-on-three which is good. We had some other chances as well so definitely a step in the right direction.
On the penalty kill
We were good. I liked our aggression on it, we tried to be more aggressive there and we kind of changed our systematic play on it. We're still a work in progress, but it definitely got us out of some trouble tonight.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2019
- Wolves Frozen by Manitoba - Chicago Wolves
- RECAP: Penguins Battle Bears to Shootout, Lose 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Rally Twice in Third Period to Beat Pens - Hershey Bears
- Hogberg Blanks Syracuse in Senators Win - Belleville Senators
- Gettinger's Late Goal Lifts Wolf Pack over Marlies - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Blanked by Senators, 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Balanced Attack Helps Comets Top Rocket - Utica Comets
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Jones, Assign Holzer to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Toninato Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Super Hero Night, Discovery Night Cap Six-Game Homestand - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Kick off Three Game Road Trip in Hartford - Toronto Marlies
- Fox Sports 1450 AM Ticket Takeover Happening this Friday - Tucson Roadrunners
- Binghamton Devils, STHA to Host Try Hockey Free Day February 23 - Binghamton Devils
- CAA Arena to Host 2019 Rookie Showcase - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Mathieu Joseph from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Heat Look to Tame Condors Wednesday in Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Vinni Lettieri Returned by Rangers; Ty Ronning Reassigned from Maine and Matt Petgrave Released from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Division-Leading Griffins Continue Extended Stay at Home against Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Condors Can Make It 13 Straight Wins Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Crunch, February 13 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Hogs Hang Around Late Before Coming up Just Short against Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Shorthanded Roadrunners Grind for a Point Tuesday Night in San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Snap Skid with 2-1 Shootout Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Glass Backstops Gulls to Road Win at Colorado - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Gulls Stories
- San Diego Gulls to Host Inaugural Season of Giving Events
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Jamie Drysdale to Three-Year Entry-Level Contract
- Anaheim Ducks Sign Jacob Perreault to Three-Year Entry-Level Contract
- Gulls to Host Halloween Trick Or Treat Drive-Thru at THE RINKS - Poway Ice October 31
- Irvine Ice Foundation Adds San Diego Jr. Gulls and Lady Gulls Hockey Programs