Hogs Hang Around Late Before Coming up Just Short against Stars
ROCKFORD, Ill. - Victor Ejdsell netted a goal with just over three minutes remaining in the third, but the Rockford IceHogs' late comeback fell just short in a 3-2 loss to the Texas Stars Tuesday night at the BMO Harris Bank Center.
With the Hogs trailing 3-1, Jacob Nilsson skated through the left circle and sent a centering feed to Ejdsell. The rookie forward one-timed the puck past Philippe Desrosiers to bring the IceHogs within one goal.
However, Desrosiers stood tall the remainder of the way to finish with 28 saves on 30 shots and snap a personal three-game losing streak. His counterpart, Kevin Lankinen, made 28 stops of his own while snapping a three-game winning streak with the defeat.
The two teams initially swapped blows in the early goings Tuesday. Michael Mersh began his three-point night with a goal at 17:10 in the first period. Rockford then matched the marker early in the second period on Jacob Nilsson's team high-tying 13th goal of the season. The forward found the puck on a rebound on the power play and deposited it behind Desrosiers to draw the IceHogs even with Texas at 1-1.
Travis Morin cashed in on a rebound in front of Lankinen in the second period for his fourth point of the series (2g, 2a) to give the Stars a 2-1 lead.
Joel L'Esperance then potted the game-winner for Texas with a power-play marker just over three minutes into the third period. His decisive blow was set up with a fortunate bounce off a shot from Mersch.
Next Home Game: Saturday, Feb. 16 vs. Iowa | 6 p.m.
The IceHogs' six-game homestand rolls on with a Saturday showdown against the Iowa Wild. Saturday is Super Hero Night, and fans are invited to dress as their favorite super/comic book hero for the contest. The first 2,500 fans in attendance will receive a free Super Hammy bobblehead, courtesy of Rock Valley Culligan.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2019
- Wolves Frozen by Manitoba - Chicago Wolves
- RECAP: Penguins Battle Bears to Shootout, Lose 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Rally Twice in Third Period to Beat Pens - Hershey Bears
- Hogberg Blanks Syracuse in Senators Win - Belleville Senators
- Gettinger's Late Goal Lifts Wolf Pack over Marlies - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Blanked by Senators, 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Balanced Attack Helps Comets Top Rocket - Utica Comets
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Jones, Assign Holzer to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Toninato Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Super Hero Night, Discovery Night Cap Six-Game Homestand - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Kick off Three Game Road Trip in Hartford - Toronto Marlies
- Fox Sports 1450 AM Ticket Takeover Happening this Friday - Tucson Roadrunners
- Binghamton Devils, STHA to Host Try Hockey Free Day February 23 - Binghamton Devils
- CAA Arena to Host 2019 Rookie Showcase - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Mathieu Joseph from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Heat Look to Tame Condors Wednesday in Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Vinni Lettieri Returned by Rangers; Ty Ronning Reassigned from Maine and Matt Petgrave Released from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Division-Leading Griffins Continue Extended Stay at Home against Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Condors Can Make It 13 Straight Wins Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Crunch, February 13 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Hogs Hang Around Late Before Coming up Just Short against Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Shorthanded Roadrunners Grind for a Point Tuesday Night in San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Snap Skid with 2-1 Shootout Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Glass Backstops Gulls to Road Win at Colorado - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.