Shorthanded Roadrunners Grind for a Point Tuesday Night in San Jose
Icing only 17 skaters Tuesday night, the Roadrunners put together a highly respectable performance in their 2-1 shootout loss to the San Jose Barracuda at the SAP Center, grinding to earn valuable standings point.
"I thought our guys competed hard all night; it wasn't from a lack of effort tonight," said head coach Jay Varady. "I think it was a situation where we got up a goal, took a penalty late in the game, and [the Barracuda] were six-on-four."
Adin Hill matched his season-high single game save total with 39, including 22 in the second period alone, turning away all but one of the 40 shots he faced.
"I thought [Hill] was outstanding tonight, especially in the second period," Varady noted of the 22-year-old goaltender's performance. "He held us in there and did a great job for us all night long."
The game remained scoreless throughout the first 58:41 minutes of play until Jeremy Gregoire, with 1:19 remaining in regulation, buried his second goal in as many games to give the Roadrunners a 1-0 lead.
Gregoire, driving to San Jose's net, got the final touch on a Robbie Russo point shot after Emil Pettersson changed the direction of the puck in the slot, beating Antoine Bibeau to the glove side.
Gregoire (2G) and Pettersson (4A) now have a combined six points registered in the team's last two games.
"Those two guys have been on the score sheet for us a lot since they've come over," Varady added. "They've done great things for our team and for our locker room."
A mere 15 seconds after Gregoire's goal, the Roadrunners went to the penalty kill when Russo was called for a slashing infraction.
With Bibeau pulled for an extra attacker, the Barracuda executed to tie the game, 1-1, with 14.8 seconds left on the clock when Nicholas DeSimone's wrist shot found its way through traffic from the top of the Roadrunners' zone.
Tucson extended to its 10th overtime game of the season; neither team would score during the five-minute sudden death period.
San Jose converted on two of its three shootout attempts, the Roadrunners just once - that coming in the top of the third round off the stick of Jordan Gross, who is now two-for-two in shootout attempts this season.
The Roadrunners will continue their road trip Friday night when they take on the Texas Stars at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park, where the puck is scheduled to drop just after 6:00 PM MST.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2019
- Wolves Frozen by Manitoba - Chicago Wolves
- RECAP: Penguins Battle Bears to Shootout, Lose 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Bears Rally Twice in Third Period to Beat Pens - Hershey Bears
- Hogberg Blanks Syracuse in Senators Win - Belleville Senators
- Gettinger's Late Goal Lifts Wolf Pack over Marlies - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Crunch Blanked by Senators, 3-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Balanced Attack Helps Comets Top Rocket - Utica Comets
- Anaheim Ducks Recall Jones, Assign Holzer to San Diego - San Diego Gulls
- Toninato Recalled by Colorado Avalanche - Colorado Eagles
- Super Hero Night, Discovery Night Cap Six-Game Homestand - Rockford IceHogs
- Marlies Kick off Three Game Road Trip in Hartford - Toronto Marlies
- Fox Sports 1450 AM Ticket Takeover Happening this Friday - Tucson Roadrunners
- Binghamton Devils, STHA to Host Try Hockey Free Day February 23 - Binghamton Devils
- CAA Arena to Host 2019 Rookie Showcase - Belleville Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Mathieu Joseph from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Heat Look to Tame Condors Wednesday in Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Vinni Lettieri Returned by Rangers; Ty Ronning Reassigned from Maine and Matt Petgrave Released from PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Division-Leading Griffins Continue Extended Stay at Home against Rampage - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Condors Can Make It 13 Straight Wins Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Crunch, February 13 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Penguins at Bears, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Hogs Hang Around Late Before Coming up Just Short against Stars - Rockford IceHogs
- Shorthanded Roadrunners Grind for a Point Tuesday Night in San Jose - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Snap Skid with 2-1 Shootout Win - San Jose Barracuda
- Glass Backstops Gulls to Road Win at Colorado - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.