Bakersfield Claims First-Ever Division Title With 2-1 Win Over Idaho
BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - The Bakersfield Condors (37-29-4-1, 79pts) edged the Idaho Steelheads (48-17-1-5, 102pts) 2-1 to capture the 2009-10 Pacific Division title. It's the first time in their 12-year history, Bakersfield claimed a division title. With the win, the Condors are guaranteed the second seed in the National Conference and home ice advantage in the first two rounds of the playoffs. Rookie F Jean-Marc Beadoin tallied the game-winner in the third period to lift the Condors to victory.
Scoring chances were few and far between in the opening frame, as the two clubs combined for just 13 shots on goal. Both Condors G Timo Pielmeier and Idaho G Rejean Beauchemin were perfect in the period.
The Condors controlled the tempo in the middle frame, out-shooting the Steelheads 12-3 in the period and getting the game's first tally. RW Ryan Menei banged in his 18th of the season at 7:24 on the power play to make it 1-0. Bakersfield had four power plays in the period, to Idaho's one, but they held the advantage. Just 19 into the third period LW Mark Derlago evened the score at one, deflecting home a floating shot from the point. Play stayed tight as just one shot on goal was recorded in the first 6:30 of play. The next shot proved monumental for the Condors. RW Jason Dale and RW Nick Kemp push a puck to the low slot, where Beadoin was waiting. He neatly deposited the puck into the open side to put the Condors up 2-1, 6:45 into the third period. Backed by solid goaltending from Pielmeier, the Condors hung on to claim victory and the division title. Shots were an even 18-18 at the completion.
Notes from the Nest: D Eric Regan became just the third d-man in Condors history to crack the 50-point barrier with his assist in the second period... The Condors tied a team record with their 24th home win of the season... LW Dan Kissel had his goal-scoring streak snapped at four games... F Jason Weeks made his Condors/pro debut tonight after finishing his senior year at Canisius College. He became the 52nd player to suit up for the Condors this season... F Jean-Marc Beaudoin recorded a goal in his second straight game... Power plays: BAK - 1-for-5, IDH - 0-for-1... Three Stars: 1. Jean-Marc Beaudoin (BAK); 2. Sasha Pokulok (BAK); 3. Timo Pielmeier (BAK). ON THE DOCKET: The Condors conclude the regular season against the Steelheads Saturday night. That marks the return of Nickelodeon's SpongeBob Squarepants, sponsored by Bright House Networks and 101.5 KGFM. SpongeBob will greet fans and pose for pictures in the Condors photo booth throughout the night.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2010
- Royals To Face K-Wings in American Conference Quarters - Reading Royals
- Checkers announce playoff schedule - Charlotte Checkers
- Jackals victorious in Chiefs' final game - Elmira Jackals
- Grizzlies Complete Regular Season With 5-2 Win In Victoria - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads fall in Bakersfield - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Complete Regular Season with Offensive Explosion, 8-4 - Reading Royals
- Playoff Dates - Kalamazoo Wings
- Devils Continue Domination of Elmira, 5-3 - Trenton Devils
- K-Wings Announce 2009-10 Team Awards During Fan Appreciation Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo Scores Three Unanswered to Defeat Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Hang on to Beat Checkers, 4-3 - Florida Everblades
- Carroll Scores Late Goal To Secure Top Spot For First Time In Franchise History - Charlotte Checkers
- Stingrays Blank Gladiators in Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Chiefs fall in finale - Johnstown Chiefs
- Robin Bouchard, Jeff Pyle and Don Money on This Week's Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Stingrays Finish Regular Season with 3-0 Win over Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones To Play South Carolina In Kelly Cup Playoffs - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cyclones Bid For Division Title Falls Short, 4-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Salmon Kings sign forward Jason Bast - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Nailers Top Cyclones 4-1 In Season Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Devergilio Recalled To AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- Condors Vs. Idaho - Regular Season Finale Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Everblades Sign Lampe, Duffy Recalled - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Return For 19th Season In Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Individual Playoff Tickets On Sale Monday - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines And Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Heidinger And Will Ortiz Sign With Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira At Johnstown - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown To Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Linglet Becomes 440th ECHL Player To Reach NHL - ECHL
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays Close Regular Season Against Gladiators Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bates Assist Ties Thunder Single Season Scoring Record - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Wrap Up #3 Seed - Alaska Aces
- Salmon Kings Clinch Playoff Berth - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Bakersfield Claims First-Ever Division Title With 2-1 Win Over Idaho - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Overpower Reign, 2-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.