Salmon Kings Clinch Playoff Berth
Victoria, BC - In a Friday night matchup the Victoria Salmon Kings and Utah Grizzlies met in the second of a three-game set at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Victoria's Glenn Fisher got the start in net while Utah countered with Mike Morrison.
Utah opened the scoring at the 2:55 mark while on the power play. A.J. Perry fed a cross-crease pass to Dylan Hunter who fired a shot from the right side of the net past the glove of Fisher. For Hunter it was his 17th goal of the year. Victoria knotted the game 1-1 at the 9:01 mark on Wes Goldie's 42nd goal of the season. Goldie and Olivier Filion worked their way into the offensive zone on a two-on-one with Goldie firing a Filion feed past the glove of Morrison. The Salmon Kings took the lead while on the power play with just 13 seconds remaining in the period. Goldie rushed down the right wing and released a slapshot past Morrison's glove and into the back of the net. Goldie's second goal of the evening and 43rd of the season gave Victoria a 2-1 advantage heading into the first intermission.
The Salmon Kings' extended their lead to 3-1 at the 7:44 mark while on the power play. Matt Siddall fired a pass from the left side of the net to Chad Painchaud who released a wrist shot from the top of the right face-off circle over the left shoulder of Morrison. The goal was Painchaud's 30th of the campaign. Victoria scored their fourth goal of the game just 18 seconds later on Andy Brandt's 13th of the season. The Salmon Kings' fifth goal of the game came at the 13:42 mark when Goldie, Siddall and Jimmy Sharrow broke into the offensive zone on a three-on-one advantage. Goldie and Siddall completed a give-and-go passing play with Goldie firing his hat-trick and team-leading 44th goal of the season over the right pad of Morrison. Victoria added a sixth goal at the 15:33 mark when Dirk Southern went down the left-wing and fired a shot from the left face-off circle past the left pad of the Grizzlies' netminder. The goal was Southern's ninth of the year. The Salmon Kings took a 7-1 lead at the 18:06 mark when Southern fired a wrist shot from the left face-off off the crossbar and into the net for his second of the game and 10th of the campaign. Utah scored their second goal of the evening on Ryan Kinasewich's 47th marker of the season. Victoria skated into the break with a 7-2 advantage.
Victoria' s Siddall and Filion recorded their 20th and 11th goals of the season at the 3:40 and 9:55 marks of the third period to round out the scoring for the game. Salmon Kings 9 Grizzlies 2. With the win, Victoria clinched the final 2010 Kelly Cup Playoff berth in the ECHL's National Conference. Tickets are now available for the first two home dates of the opening round, with dates and times to be determined. For tickets, call 250-220-7777 or visit www.selectyourtickets.com.
Victoria went 2/7 28.6% on the power play while Utah was 1/2 50.0%. The Salmon Kings outshot the Grizzlies 32-18.
The Salmon Kings wrap-up their three-game set against Utah tomorrow night. Puck drop for the game is at 7:05 p.m. at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Tomorrow night's contest is Fan Appreciation night where one lucky fan is guaranteed to win a 2009 Cadillac SRX courtesy of Dave Wheaton Chevrolet Buick Cadillac GMC and the Times Colonist. Tomorrow is also "Sellout Saturday". Nearly sold out, limited Club Seats and singles in the bowl are still available.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2010
- Royals To Face K-Wings in American Conference Quarters - Reading Royals
- Checkers announce playoff schedule - Charlotte Checkers
- Jackals victorious in Chiefs' final game - Elmira Jackals
- Grizzlies Complete Regular Season With 5-2 Win In Victoria - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads fall in Bakersfield - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Complete Regular Season with Offensive Explosion, 8-4 - Reading Royals
- Playoff Dates - Kalamazoo Wings
- Devils Continue Domination of Elmira, 5-3 - Trenton Devils
- K-Wings Announce 2009-10 Team Awards During Fan Appreciation Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo Scores Three Unanswered to Defeat Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Hang on to Beat Checkers, 4-3 - Florida Everblades
- Carroll Scores Late Goal To Secure Top Spot For First Time In Franchise History - Charlotte Checkers
- Stingrays Blank Gladiators in Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Chiefs fall in finale - Johnstown Chiefs
- Robin Bouchard, Jeff Pyle and Don Money on This Week's Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Stingrays Finish Regular Season with 3-0 Win over Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones To Play South Carolina In Kelly Cup Playoffs - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cyclones Bid For Division Title Falls Short, 4-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Salmon Kings sign forward Jason Bast - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Nailers Top Cyclones 4-1 In Season Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Devergilio Recalled To AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- Condors Vs. Idaho - Regular Season Finale Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Everblades Sign Lampe, Duffy Recalled - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Return For 19th Season In Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Individual Playoff Tickets On Sale Monday - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines And Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Heidinger And Will Ortiz Sign With Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira At Johnstown - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown To Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Linglet Becomes 440th ECHL Player To Reach NHL - ECHL
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays Close Regular Season Against Gladiators Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bates Assist Ties Thunder Single Season Scoring Record - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Wrap Up #3 Seed - Alaska Aces
- Salmon Kings Clinch Playoff Berth - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Bakersfield Claims First-Ever Division Title With 2-1 Win Over Idaho - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Overpower Reign, 2-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Salmon Kings Stories
- Royals' Pink In The Rink Almost Sold Out
- Former Salmon Kings' General Manager & Head Coach Named to Winnipeg Jets' AHL Staff
- Salmon Kings Withdraw from ECHL
- Salmon Kings' Season Ends with Game 4 Loss
- Alaska takes 3-0 series lead with 6-2 victory over Victoria