Aces Wrap Up #3 Seed
ANCHORAGE, Alaska - Curtis Fraser opened the scoring 35 seconds into the game and Alaska utilized the energy from the crowd of 5,263 at Sullivan Arena to extract a 3-2 verdict from Stockton and clinch the #3 seed in the upcoming National Conference playoffs.
The Aces (35-28-8) play host to the first two games of their opening round series at the Menard Center in Wasilla Monday and Tuesday night at 7:30 p.m. AT. Alaska will be seeded behind only Brabham Cup champion Idaho and Pacific Division winner Bakersfield. If form holds in the first round, the Aces would meet the Condors in the best-of-seven conference semifinals, while the Steelheads await the winner of the #4-#5 match-up.
All seven playoff spots have been sealed with Victoria's 9-2 rout of Utah Friday, but seeding remains a question mark heading into tomorrow night, when Alaska concludes its regular season with a rematch against Stockton at 7:15 p.m. The game will be broadcast live on KFQD 750 AM, with Peanut Farm Pre-Game Show coverage getting underway at the top of the hour.
Former Ace Matt Robinson answered Fraser's goal 22 seconds later with his 31st of the year, and sixth in seven games against his old club. Tied at 1-1 after one minute of play, the Thunder took the lead when Jason Pitton deflected Steve Vanoosten's shot over Alaska goalie Billy Sauer with 5:06 left in the first period. A hustling Nick Mazzolini tied the game when he took advantage of a Stockton turnover, beat two defenders to a loose puck, and flicked home the equalizer (his third goal in as many games and 27th of the year) at 7:44 of the second period.
The game remained in a 2-2 deadlock despite a 19-6 shots on goal advantage over the final 20 minutes and overtime for the Aces, who for the second straight game, limited their opponent to just 17 shots. In the shootout, Sauer turned aside all three Thunder attempts while Jarrett Konkle, Brock McBride, and Mazzolini scored in succession against Stockton goalie Andrew Perugini, who had stopped 32 shots in 65 minutes.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2010
- Royals To Face K-Wings in American Conference Quarters - Reading Royals
- Checkers announce playoff schedule - Charlotte Checkers
- Jackals victorious in Chiefs' final game - Elmira Jackals
- Grizzlies Complete Regular Season With 5-2 Win In Victoria - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads fall in Bakersfield - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Complete Regular Season with Offensive Explosion, 8-4 - Reading Royals
- Playoff Dates - Kalamazoo Wings
- Devils Continue Domination of Elmira, 5-3 - Trenton Devils
- K-Wings Announce 2009-10 Team Awards During Fan Appreciation Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo Scores Three Unanswered to Defeat Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Hang on to Beat Checkers, 4-3 - Florida Everblades
- Carroll Scores Late Goal To Secure Top Spot For First Time In Franchise History - Charlotte Checkers
- Stingrays Blank Gladiators in Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Chiefs fall in finale - Johnstown Chiefs
- Robin Bouchard, Jeff Pyle and Don Money on This Week's Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Stingrays Finish Regular Season with 3-0 Win over Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones To Play South Carolina In Kelly Cup Playoffs - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cyclones Bid For Division Title Falls Short, 4-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Salmon Kings sign forward Jason Bast - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Nailers Top Cyclones 4-1 In Season Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Devergilio Recalled To AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- Condors Vs. Idaho - Regular Season Finale Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Everblades Sign Lampe, Duffy Recalled - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Return For 19th Season In Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Individual Playoff Tickets On Sale Monday - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines And Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Heidinger And Will Ortiz Sign With Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira At Johnstown - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown To Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Linglet Becomes 440th ECHL Player To Reach NHL - ECHL
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays Close Regular Season Against Gladiators Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bates Assist Ties Thunder Single Season Scoring Record - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Wrap Up #3 Seed - Alaska Aces
- Salmon Kings Clinch Playoff Berth - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Bakersfield Claims First-Ever Division Title With 2-1 Win Over Idaho - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Overpower Reign, 2-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.