Everblades Hang on to Beat Checkers, 4-3
ESTERO, FL - Despite losing a two-goal lead heading into the third period, the Florida Everblades prevailed 4-3 in a shootout over the Charlotte Checkers. Florida's Shea Guthrie was the only goal scorer in the shootout through six rounds. Chris Beckford-Tseu stopped all six shooters in the shootout to post his 19th victory of the season.
The Charlotte Checkers recorded the only goal of the first period on a power play at 12:53. Right wing David Marshall took a pass from Brock Bradford on the right circle and wristed the puck over the left shoulder of Florida netminder Chris Beckford Tseu to give Charlotte the lead. The Everblades pressured the Checkers late in the period and out shot Charlotte 11-6 but went scoreless in the opening 20 minutes.
The Everblades tied the game 1-1 less than a minute into the second period. Milan Gajic blasted a rocket past Charlotte goaltender Garrett Zemlak from just inside the Charlotte blueline. Ross Carlson gave the Everblades their first lead of the game seven minutes later on the power play. Carlson fired a slapshot from the point to record his 28th goal of the season with assists from Ernie Hartlieb and Kevin Baker. The Blades took a two-goal advantage at the 16:17 mark on a Brandon Buck power-play marker set up by Gajic and Cedric Lalonde-McNicoll. Florida finished the period two of six on the power play and peppered Zemlak with 19 shots in the frame to Charlotte's six.
Florida began the third period with a 3-1 advantage, but a tripping penalty on Carlson resulted in a power-play goal by Charlotte. Checkers right wing David Marshall skated in alone, deeked to his backhand and beat Beckford-Tseu cutting the Blades lead in half. The Checkers evened the score to 3-3 with a goal by leading goal scorer Andrew Carroll. The goal was the huge for Charlotte who managed to force overtime and sqeak out the point they needed to claim the American Conference title and #1 seed to start the Kelly Cup Playoffs.
Charlotte out shot Florida four to one in overtime but the game remained tied and headed to a shootout. Shea Guthrie, Florida's sixth shooter, gave Florida a 4-3 win and secured their seventh win over the Checkers this season (7-6-1)
The Florida Everblades and Elmira Jackals will play in the first round of the Kelly Cup Playoffs starting on Tuesday, April 6 in Germain Arena. Tickets are on sale at the TIB Bank box office at Germain Arena Monday through Friday 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. and Saturday 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Tickets can also be purchased online at www.ticketmaster.com. Follow the Blades during the 2010 Kelly Cup Playoffs exclusively on FOX Sports Radio, 1200/1460AM or via their website at www.floridaeverblades.com courtesy of Sportsjuice. The Shoeless Joe's Sports Café pregame show comes your way 25-minutes prior to the drop of the puck. Everblades hockey is presented by Blu Sushi.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 3, 2010
- Royals To Face K-Wings in American Conference Quarters - Reading Royals
- Checkers announce playoff schedule - Charlotte Checkers
- Jackals victorious in Chiefs' final game - Elmira Jackals
- Grizzlies Complete Regular Season With 5-2 Win In Victoria - Utah Grizzlies
- Steelheads fall in Bakersfield - Idaho Steelheads
- Royals Complete Regular Season with Offensive Explosion, 8-4 - Reading Royals
- Playoff Dates - Kalamazoo Wings
- Devils Continue Domination of Elmira, 5-3 - Trenton Devils
- K-Wings Announce 2009-10 Team Awards During Fan Appreciation Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Kalamazoo Scores Three Unanswered to Defeat Toledo - Kalamazoo Wings
- Everblades Hang on to Beat Checkers, 4-3 - Florida Everblades
- Carroll Scores Late Goal To Secure Top Spot For First Time In Franchise History - Charlotte Checkers
- Stingrays Blank Gladiators in Season Finale - Atlanta Gladiators
- Chiefs fall in finale - Johnstown Chiefs
- Robin Bouchard, Jeff Pyle and Don Money on This Week's Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Stingrays Finish Regular Season with 3-0 Win over Gladiators - South Carolina Stingrays
- Cyclones To Play South Carolina In Kelly Cup Playoffs - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cyclones Bid For Division Title Falls Short, 4-1 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Salmon Kings sign forward Jason Bast - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Nailers Top Cyclones 4-1 In Season Finale - Wheeling Nailers
- Devergilio Recalled To AHL - Idaho Steelheads
- Condors Vs. Idaho - Regular Season Finale Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Everblades Sign Lampe, Duffy Recalled - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Return For 19th Season In Wheeling - Wheeling Nailers
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder At Alaska Aces - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Individual Playoff Tickets On Sale Monday - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines And Suspensions - ECHL
- Josh Heidinger And Will Ortiz Sign With Cyclones - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira At Johnstown - Elmira Jackals
- Countdown To Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Linglet Becomes 440th ECHL Player To Reach NHL - ECHL
- Stingrays Gameday: Stingrays Close Regular Season Against Gladiators Tonight - South Carolina Stingrays
- Bates Assist Ties Thunder Single Season Scoring Record - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Wrap Up #3 Seed - Alaska Aces
- Salmon Kings Clinch Playoff Berth - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Bakersfield Claims First-Ever Division Title With 2-1 Win Over Idaho - Bakersfield Condors
- Wranglers Overpower Reign, 2-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Four Score: 'Blades Shut out Swamp Rabbits to Win Fourth Straight
- Preview: 'Blades Return to Home Ice, Host Swamp Rabbits
- Atwal, Maclise Return to 'Blades from AHL
- 'Blades Defenseman Logan Roe Wins MVP of ECHL All-Star Classic
- 'Blades Weekly: Return Home Brings Pair of South Division Foes