Army-Navy Cup IX Returns to Subaru Park on April 25
CHESTER, Pa. - Army-Navy Cup IX Presented by Leidos returns to Subaru Park on Sunday April 25, where the rival academies will kick off at 2:00 p.m. This is the first of two meetings for the academies this season as they approach their 10th anniversary match later this fall.
"Despite the delays, we are happy to bring the Army-Navy rivalry to Subaru Park and provide a great experience for our student-athletes," said Tim O'Donohue, Head Coach, Navy Men's Soccer.
Navy notched a regular season record of 4-1-1 and finished tied for second in the Patriot League South Division with seven points. The Midshipmen started the season with a 3-2 win in an exhibition match over defending national runner-up Virginia and then earned a 2-1 win over North Carolina State to start the regular season. The Midshipmen then rattled off three-straight wins in the Patriot League over Colgate (2-1), Bucknell (1-0) and Lehigh (2-0). During the season, Navy had six different goal scorers and eight different individuals with at least one point.
Additionally, the Midshipmen produced the Patriot League Co-Defensive Player of the Year in Matt Nocita and the Patriot League Rookie of the Year in David Jackson. Navy also led the Patriot League with seven All-League performers in Nocita, Tyler Collins and Jacob Williams on the first team and Jackson, Toni Adewole, Ian Bramblett and Baba Kallie on the third team. This marks the second-straight year the Midshipmen have had seven players selected to the All-Patriot League teams, which is second-most in program history.
"Our gratitude goes out to the Union for creating this competitive opportunity for the players this spring. The Army Navy Cup has been one of the marquee events for our league and the national men's soccer landscape. We are ready to get after it again on April 25th against our rival," said Russell Payne, Head Coach, Army West Point Men's Soccer.
The Black Knights enter the matchup with an overall record of 2-3-1 and are coming off their best showing of the spring, a double-overtime battle at Boston University. Junior midfielder Oscar Pereira is Second Team All-Patriot League selection, leading the team with eight total points on the year with three goals and two assists. Freshman defender Jack Eaton enters the contest fresh off a Patriot League Defensive Player of the Week honor in his first career start at Boston U. Goalkeeper Jacob Suppiah made seven saves on the year as he started all six games in goal.
Subaru Park will be able to host fans at partial capacity for the match, tickets are available for purchase HERE . Fans will enter through Crozer-Premier Gate starting at 1:00 p.m. ET, and those attending the match may park in Lot J, free of charge. During the match, guests can enjoy refreshments from the following cashless concessions: Chickie's and Pete's, P.J. Whelihan's, and the Hot Dog Company, all found on the main concourse.
The Union and Subaru Park continue to follow government regulations, required health and safety protocols, and guidance from medical experts. All attendees must wear a mask at all times in Subaru Park, except when actively eating or drinking, and will receive a temperature check upon arrival at the gate. Additionally, seats have been spaced out throughout the bowl to allow for six feet of distance in all directions for each seated party. For full health and safety protocols at Subaru Park, please click HERE.
Army Navy Cup IX is presented by Leidos and made possible with the support from the following sponsors: Steamfitters Local Union 420, Visit Delco, Monroe Energy, and Eastern Atlantic States Regional Council of Carpenters.
The Philadelphia Union has played host to the Army-Navy Cup since its inaugural match in 2012, with Army currently leading the series at 3-2-3. The last time the academies met in 2019, the match ended in a 1-1 draw in double overtime.
What: Army-Navy Cup IX (Please Click Here To Purchase Tickets)
When: April 25, 2021; kickoff at 2:00 p.m.
Where: Subaru Park
Parking: Free parking in Lot J
Subaru Park Health and Safety Protocols: https://www.philadelphiaunion.com/welcomehome
For more information, please visit www.PhiladelphiaUnion.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 16, 2021
- Earthquakes Drop Opener to Houston Dynamo FC, 2-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Open Season with 2-1 Win over San Jose - Houston Dynamo FC
- LAFC Hosts Austin FC in 2021 Season Opener Saturday, April 17 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC and Goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Los Angeles FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Luke Singh - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Exercises Offseason Buyout on Matías Pellegrini - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF Exercise Offseason Buyout on Matias Pellegrini - MLS
- Timbers Open Quarterfinals of 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League vs. Club AmÉrica on April 28 at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Finalizes Roster Ahead of 2021 Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York Red Bulls Introduce Ally Melendez as In-Stadium Host - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF to Kick off 2021 Season at Home against the LA Galaxy - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Loans Efrain Morales to ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Midfielder Yordy Reyna Placed on Injured List - D.C. United
- Open Cup Committee Determines 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Will Not be Held this Spring - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Sign Defender Aedan Stanley and Goalkeeper William Pulisic - Austin FC
- New York Opens 26th MLS Season against Sporting KC at RBA - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting Opens Season Saturday at Red Bulls - Sporting Kansas City
- Rapids Kick off 2021 Season at FC Dallas on Saturday - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Partner with Local Artist Sentrock for Limited-Edition Merchandise and Art Collection - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United signs Rocco Ríos Novo to Short Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Sign Former Black-And-Red Standout Andy Najar - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire $225,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati - Portland Timbers
- IHeartMedia Philadelphia and Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Agreement for FOX Sports Radio "The Gambler" as Official Radio Broadcast Partner - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Acquire International Roster Spot from the Portland Timbers - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2021 Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- New England Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season Saturday at Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Opens Its 2021 MLS Campaign against FC Cincinnati - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer to Provide More Than 50,000 Tickets to Frontline and Essential Workers During 2021 Season - MLS
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Sami Guediri from Fort Lauderdale CF - Inter Miami CF
- Two Earthquakes Players Obtain Green Cards - San Jose Earthquakes
- MSG Networks Announces 2021 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Whitecaps FC Team up with MNP for a Strategic Sponsorship - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Defender Antonio Alfaro - D.C. United
- #DALvCOL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF to Kick off 2021 Season with New Facebook and Instagram AR Filter - Inter Miami CF
- 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals Schedule Confirmed - Philadelphia Union
- Quarterfinals Schedule Announced for 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League - Atlanta United FC
- Year 2 of the Pareja Era Set to Begin this Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Opens 2021 MLS Season against Atlanta United FC - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Further Partnerships with Jersey, Apparel Placements - New York Red Bulls
- Minnesota United FC at Seattle Sounders Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Army-Navy Cup IX Returns to Subaru Park on April 25 - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Andre Blake gets his 3rd clean sheet of the 2021 MLS regular season, Burke 2nd goal of the regular season proves to be the game winner
- Philadelphia Union Announces Updated Capacity and Safety Guidelines
- Philadelphia Union at Nashville SC Moved to Saturday, July 3 at 8 p.m. ET
- Przybylko scores his first goal of the MLS regular season in draw
- Philadelphia Union Sign Attacking Midfielder Daniel Gazdag