Year 2 of the Pareja Era Set to Begin this Saturday
Oscar Pareja's first year in Orlando was a resounding success by any measure.
The final of the MLS is Back Tournament. A fourth-place finish in the Eastern Conference. The club's first-ever MLS Cup Playoffs game, at home, won in perhaps the most memorable fashion in the league's history.
Is that enough for Papi? Not even close.
"Last year we had a lot of joy in achieving many objectives," said Pareja at his weekly press conference on Tuesday, "but at the same time we understand that we were short on the final prize in the league, something we want so bad to give to the community and to the Club. With the energy the boys have, the desire, the dreams and the commitment that we all have with this Club, we're expecting...[to] just keep going and keep competing."
Orlando City won't be sneaking up on anyone in 2021. The Lions were picked to reach the playoffs by every analyst in MLSSoccer.com's preseason preview and are expected to be top contenders for MLS Cup, the Supporters' Shield and Leagues Cup, a tournament with Liga MX in which Orlando will compete for the first time this summer.
For Pareja, though, the goals have not differed.
"Despite that it was a surprise for many, thinking that we could fight for trophies or fight for the first places, our approach hasn't changed. I think it's the commitment and the responsibility that a coach has to have with his players and the Club that we represent.
"You won't hear from me any other objective than win. That's the final one, the ultimate goal, for any team that I play with or defend or am involved with, is just to ask the players to give the max and to be able to provide to our supporters the final objective, which is winning."
Orlando City wrapped up preseason last weekend with a 3-2 win over Minnesota United and has spent this week deep in preparation for the season opener against Atlanta United, presented by Orlando Health (Saturday, 3 p.m. ET, UniMás/TUDN/Twitter). The Lions will be without midfield fulcrum Mauricio Pereyra, who is suspended for the first two games of the season.
"It's not an easy thing to lose any player, especially in the first game of the season," said Pareja, "but we knew...that Mauricio couldn't play in the first two [games], and we've prepared the team without him, trying to see some possibilities that may adjust our team to the same model that we had, and also some variations that we have tried during the offseason planning and during this preseason."
Even with his No. 10 sidelined, Pareja has the implicit trust of his roster.
"Oscar is an amazing guy," said new striker Alexandre Pato. "When you have some question or maybe a problem, he comes to you and he speaks to you, he explains to you everything you want to know. So when I think when the coach has this feeling with the players, that's the best way to get something very special...He pushes every player, old or young. Every player is happy to have him in this Club."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 16, 2021
- Earthquakes Drop Opener to Houston Dynamo FC, 2-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Open Season with 2-1 Win over San Jose - Houston Dynamo FC
- LAFC Hosts Austin FC in 2021 Season Opener Saturday, April 17 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC and Goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Los Angeles FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Luke Singh - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Exercises Offseason Buyout on Matías Pellegrini - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF Exercise Offseason Buyout on Matias Pellegrini - MLS
- Timbers Open Quarterfinals of 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League vs. Club AmÉrica on April 28 at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Finalizes Roster Ahead of 2021 Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York Red Bulls Introduce Ally Melendez as In-Stadium Host - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF to Kick off 2021 Season at Home against the LA Galaxy - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Loans Efrain Morales to ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Midfielder Yordy Reyna Placed on Injured List - D.C. United
- Open Cup Committee Determines 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Will Not be Held this Spring - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Sign Defender Aedan Stanley and Goalkeeper William Pulisic - Austin FC
- New York Opens 26th MLS Season against Sporting KC at RBA - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting Opens Season Saturday at Red Bulls - Sporting Kansas City
- Rapids Kick off 2021 Season at FC Dallas on Saturday - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Partner with Local Artist Sentrock for Limited-Edition Merchandise and Art Collection - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United signs Rocco Ríos Novo to Short Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Sign Former Black-And-Red Standout Andy Najar - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire $225,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati - Portland Timbers
- IHeartMedia Philadelphia and Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Agreement for FOX Sports Radio "The Gambler" as Official Radio Broadcast Partner - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Acquire International Roster Spot from the Portland Timbers - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2021 Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- New England Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season Saturday at Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Opens Its 2021 MLS Campaign against FC Cincinnati - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer to Provide More Than 50,000 Tickets to Frontline and Essential Workers During 2021 Season - MLS
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Sami Guediri from Fort Lauderdale CF - Inter Miami CF
- Two Earthquakes Players Obtain Green Cards - San Jose Earthquakes
- MSG Networks Announces 2021 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Whitecaps FC Team up with MNP for a Strategic Sponsorship - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Defender Antonio Alfaro - D.C. United
- #DALvCOL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF to Kick off 2021 Season with New Facebook and Instagram AR Filter - Inter Miami CF
- 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals Schedule Confirmed - Philadelphia Union
- Quarterfinals Schedule Announced for 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League - Atlanta United FC
- Year 2 of the Pareja Era Set to Begin this Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Opens 2021 MLS Season against Atlanta United FC - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Further Partnerships with Jersey, Apparel Placements - New York Red Bulls
- Minnesota United FC at Seattle Sounders Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Army-Navy Cup IX Returns to Subaru Park on April 25 - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.