Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC
ATLANTA - Atlanta United returns to action Saturday against Orlando City SC in the club's Major League Soccer season opener at Exploria Stadium. The match is set to kick-off at 3 p.m. ET and will be nationally broadcast on UniMás and live streamed in English on Twitter.
For all statistics and media information, please visit our Media Resources page and Game Notes. MLS Media Assets can be found here.
Atlanta owns an all-time record of 6-2-4 against Orlando in MLS play and is 4-1-1 on the road in the series. This is the first of three meetings between the clubs in 2021 and all will be nationally televised: at Orlando on July 30 (8 p.m., ESPN) and at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Sept. 10 (7 p.m., FS1).
Head coach Gabriel Heinze will make his MLS managerial debut against Oscar Pareja's side. The Colombian manager is in his second season with Orlando and holds a career record of 114-83-64 in nine seasons in MLS.
Josef Martinez leads Atlanta with seven career goals against Orlando in six matches, the most regular season goals he has scored against any opponent.
Since joining the league in 2017, Atlanta is tied for the most road wins in MLS with 22.
Atlanta advanced to the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League quarterfinals for the third consecutive season on Tuesday, defeating Costa Rican leaders LD Alajuelense 2-0 on aggregate with goals from Ezequiel Barco and Jurgen Damm. Atlanta will host Philadelphia Union in the first leg on April 27 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium before traveling to Subaru Park for the return leg on May 4.
Saturday, April 17 | Exploria Stadium, Orlando, FL | 3 p.m. (ET)
Atlanta United (0-0-0, 0 points) vs. Orlando City SC (0-0-0, 0 points)
TV | UniMás
English Radio | Sports Radio 92.9 The Game
Spanish Radio | La Mejor
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 16, 2021
- Earthquakes Drop Opener to Houston Dynamo FC, 2-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Open Season with 2-1 Win over San Jose - Houston Dynamo FC
- LAFC Hosts Austin FC in 2021 Season Opener Saturday, April 17 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC and Goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Los Angeles FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Luke Singh - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Exercises Offseason Buyout on Matías Pellegrini - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF Exercise Offseason Buyout on Matias Pellegrini - MLS
- Timbers Open Quarterfinals of 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League vs. Club AmÉrica on April 28 at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Finalizes Roster Ahead of 2021 Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York Red Bulls Introduce Ally Melendez as In-Stadium Host - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF to Kick off 2021 Season at Home against the LA Galaxy - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Loans Efrain Morales to ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Midfielder Yordy Reyna Placed on Injured List - D.C. United
- Open Cup Committee Determines 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Will Not be Held this Spring - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Sign Defender Aedan Stanley and Goalkeeper William Pulisic - Austin FC
- New York Opens 26th MLS Season against Sporting KC at RBA - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting Opens Season Saturday at Red Bulls - Sporting Kansas City
- Rapids Kick off 2021 Season at FC Dallas on Saturday - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Partner with Local Artist Sentrock for Limited-Edition Merchandise and Art Collection - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United signs Rocco Ríos Novo to Short Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Sign Former Black-And-Red Standout Andy Najar - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire $225,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati - Portland Timbers
- IHeartMedia Philadelphia and Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Agreement for FOX Sports Radio "The Gambler" as Official Radio Broadcast Partner - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Acquire International Roster Spot from the Portland Timbers - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2021 Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- New England Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season Saturday at Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Opens Its 2021 MLS Campaign against FC Cincinnati - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer to Provide More Than 50,000 Tickets to Frontline and Essential Workers During 2021 Season - MLS
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Sami Guediri from Fort Lauderdale CF - Inter Miami CF
- Two Earthquakes Players Obtain Green Cards - San Jose Earthquakes
- MSG Networks Announces 2021 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Whitecaps FC Team up with MNP for a Strategic Sponsorship - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Defender Antonio Alfaro - D.C. United
- #DALvCOL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF to Kick off 2021 Season with New Facebook and Instagram AR Filter - Inter Miami CF
- 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals Schedule Confirmed - Philadelphia Union
- Quarterfinals Schedule Announced for 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League - Atlanta United FC
- Year 2 of the Pareja Era Set to Begin this Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Opens 2021 MLS Season against Atlanta United FC - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Further Partnerships with Jersey, Apparel Placements - New York Red Bulls
- Minnesota United FC at Seattle Sounders Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Army-Navy Cup IX Returns to Subaru Park on April 25 - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York City FC
- Gabriel Heinze to miss Wednesday's match, Mariano Toedtli to serve as replacement
- Atlanta United Draws 2-2 vs. Philadelphia Union
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Philadelphia Union
- Catie Griggs to Depart Atlanta United in July