Sporting Opens Season Saturday at Red Bulls
A pair of MLS charter members will raise the curtains on a highly anticipated and long-awaited 2021 season Saturday night when Sporting Kansas City visits the New York Red Bulls for a 7 p.m. CT showdown at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey.
Saturday's inter-conference clash will be shown live on Bally Sports Kansas City and Bally Sports Midwest in Mid-Missouri and Iowa with three hours of live coverage beginning at 6:30 p.m. CT. The match will be joined in progress on Bally Sports Midwest Plus in the St. Louis area following St. Louis Blues hockey.
Fans within the Bally Sports Midwest footprint can also stream the action live on FOX Sports GO, while supporters elsewhere across the U.S. can watch on ESPN Plus. Sports Radio 810 WHB and La Grande 1340 AM will air local radio broadcasts and the official Sporting KC app will provide additional in-game updates.
In conjunction with Saturday's opener, Sporting fans are invited to attend an outdoor watch party at Children's Mercy Park when the club hosts its Season Kickoff presented by Michelob Ultra. Supporters can secure their free ticket to the Season Kickoff at SeatGeek.com or the SeatGeek app, with stadium gates opening at 5:30 p.m. CT and select concessions and SportingStyle locations open to guests. The watch party will utilize distanced outdoor seating in the stadium bowl with the match shown on the north and south videoboards. Face coverings will be mandatory for all in attendance.
The Season Kickoff presented by Michelob Ultra will also serve as the first opportunity for Season Ticket Members to pick up their STM gift packages, which includes a copy of the commemorative hardback book "One Club: The First 25 Years of Major League Soccer in Kansas City."
Led by 13th-year manager Peter Vermes, the longest-tenured head coach in MLS history, Sporting finished atop the Western Conference last season with a 12-6-3 record and a club-record 1.86 points per game. Newly designated captain Johnny Russell, striker Alan Pulido and midfielder Gadi Kinda bagged six goals apiece in the regular season, while the likes of 18-year-old Gianluca Busio, fellow Academy product Jaylin Lindsey and winger Khiry Shelton enjoyed their best MLS campaigns to date.
Sporting returns a veteran core this year -- including heralded goalkeeper Tim Melia and defender Graham Zusi, who in his 13th season has become the longest-tenured active player with a single club in MLS. Vermes has added a crop of high-profile newcomers, namely center back Nicolas Isimat-Mirin and midfielder Remi Walter from France, while also promoting from within. Sporting has an MLS-high 12 Homegrown Players on its current roster, five of whom have signed within the last six months.
Vermes will utilize his squad's depth in Week 1, as five Sporting players will miss Saturday's contest through injury: Zusi, defender Amadou Dia and goalkeepers Melia, Kendall McIntosh and Brooks Thompson. Pulido, Russell and Walter will be available for selection after working back from their own preseason injuries. In Melia's absence, 19-year-old John Pulskamp is slated to make his MLS debut and become the youngest goalkeeper to feature for Sporting in an MLS match.
On the opposite sideline, the Red Bulls have won three Supporters' Shield titles over the last eight seasons and own an 11-year playoff streak, the second-longest active run in MLS. New York endured an up-and-down campaign in 2020, parting ways with head coach Chris Armas in September before appointing Austrian manager Gerhard Struber and placing sixth in the East with a 9-9-5 record. Struber and New York fell to eventual MLS Cup champion Columbus Crew SC in the first round of the 2020 postseason.
Known for their signature high-pressing style of play -- the Red Bulls have led MLS in duels won for six straight seasons -- New York enters the weekend with a clean bill of health. The club's roster is highlighted by U.S. international center back Aaron Long, dynamic outside back Kyle Duncan, Austrian winger Daniel Royer and newly acquired No. 9 Fabio, a talented 23-year-old on loan from Brazilian side Oeste.
Both teams will be encouraged by past history in season-opening encounters. Sporting's 14 season-opening wins and nine victories in road openers are the most in MLS history. Conversely, the Red Bulls boast a league-high 16 home-opening wins, including a 16-4-5 record in their first home matches of the season.
The series between Sporting and New York dates back to the inaugural 1996 MLS campaign and has seen the clubs take 21 wins and 13 draws apiece in regular season play. The most recent meeting took place in April 2019 when Russell and Busio tallied goals in an entertaining 2-2 draw at Children's Mercy Park. Russell has scored in both career appearances against New York, including a 3-2 setback in July 2018 when Sporting last visited Red Bull Arena.
Saturday at New York Red Bulls
Kickoff at Red Bull Arena slated for 7 p.m. CT with coverage on
Bally Sports Kansas City, Sports Radio 810 WHB and La Grande 1340 AM
Sporting Kansas City at New York Red Bulls
2021 MLS Regular Season | Match 1
Saturday, April 17, 2021 | 7 p.m. CT
Red Bull Arena | Harrison, New Jersey
English TV | Bally Sports Kansas City
English TV | Bally Sports Midwest (Mid-Missouri & Iowa)
English TV | Bally Sports Midwest Plus (joined in progress in St. Louis)
Streaming | FOX Sports GO or ESPN Plus
English Radio | Sports Radio 810 WHB
Spanish Radio | La Grande 1340 AM
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 16, 2021
- Earthquakes Drop Opener to Houston Dynamo FC, 2-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Open Season with 2-1 Win over San Jose - Houston Dynamo FC
- LAFC Hosts Austin FC in 2021 Season Opener Saturday, April 17 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC and Goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Los Angeles FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Luke Singh - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Exercises Offseason Buyout on Matías Pellegrini - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF Exercise Offseason Buyout on Matias Pellegrini - MLS
- Timbers Open Quarterfinals of 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League vs. Club AmÉrica on April 28 at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Finalizes Roster Ahead of 2021 Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York Red Bulls Introduce Ally Melendez as In-Stadium Host - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF to Kick off 2021 Season at Home against the LA Galaxy - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Loans Efrain Morales to ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Midfielder Yordy Reyna Placed on Injured List - D.C. United
- Open Cup Committee Determines 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Will Not be Held this Spring - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Sign Defender Aedan Stanley and Goalkeeper William Pulisic - Austin FC
- New York Opens 26th MLS Season against Sporting KC at RBA - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting Opens Season Saturday at Red Bulls - Sporting Kansas City
- Rapids Kick off 2021 Season at FC Dallas on Saturday - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Partner with Local Artist Sentrock for Limited-Edition Merchandise and Art Collection - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United signs Rocco Ríos Novo to Short Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Sign Former Black-And-Red Standout Andy Najar - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire $225,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati - Portland Timbers
- IHeartMedia Philadelphia and Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Agreement for FOX Sports Radio "The Gambler" as Official Radio Broadcast Partner - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Acquire International Roster Spot from the Portland Timbers - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2021 Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- New England Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season Saturday at Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Opens Its 2021 MLS Campaign against FC Cincinnati - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer to Provide More Than 50,000 Tickets to Frontline and Essential Workers During 2021 Season - MLS
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Sami Guediri from Fort Lauderdale CF - Inter Miami CF
- Two Earthquakes Players Obtain Green Cards - San Jose Earthquakes
- MSG Networks Announces 2021 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Whitecaps FC Team up with MNP for a Strategic Sponsorship - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Defender Antonio Alfaro - D.C. United
- #DALvCOL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF to Kick off 2021 Season with New Facebook and Instagram AR Filter - Inter Miami CF
- 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals Schedule Confirmed - Philadelphia Union
- Quarterfinals Schedule Announced for 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League - Atlanta United FC
- Year 2 of the Pareja Era Set to Begin this Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Opens 2021 MLS Season against Atlanta United FC - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Further Partnerships with Jersey, Apparel Placements - New York Red Bulls
- Minnesota United FC at Seattle Sounders Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Army-Navy Cup IX Returns to Subaru Park on April 25 - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.