Rapids Kick off 2021 Season at FC Dallas on Saturday
COMMERCE CITY, Col. - The Colorado Rapids kick off the 2021 MLS regular season on Saturday, April 17, when they visit FC Dallas. Kickoff is set for 6:00 PM at Toyota Stadium. Fans can tune in to Altitude Sports at 5:30 PM and Altitude Sports Radio beginning at 5:45 PM for pregame coverage.
"We're obviously excited to get going again," Rapids head coach Robin Fraser said. "It's been a long break, a longer than usual break, and certainly we feel like coming off what was a decent year for us, somewhat disappointing finish, you have several months to think about getting ready and getting going again. It's great. We had a really good preseason down in Tucson, felt like the team really took some strides forward and really looking forward to getting the season started."
Colorado returns the vast majority of the squad that reached the MLS Cup Playoffs in 2020. The Rapids signed several players to new contracts, including goalkeeper Clint Irwin; defenders Lalas Abubakar, Steven Beitashour, Drew Moor, Auston Trusty, Sam Vines and Danny Wilson; midfielder Collen Warner; and forwards Jonathan Lewis and Diego Rubio.
The Rapids also made key additions in the offseason, acquiring dynamic Colombian winger Michael Barrios from Dallas and signing several Homegrown Players, including 16-year-old Darren Yapi and 19-year-old Oliver Larraz, both Denver natives from the Rapids Academy. The club also completed the permanent transfer of goalkeeper William Yarbrough, who posted 4 clean sheets in 14 league appearances in 2020 while on loan from Liga MX side Club León.
Several Rapids players enjoyed a successful offseason on the international stage. Midfielder Kellyn Acosta made his much-awaited return to the U.S. Men's National Team, making three starts among four appearances since December. Defender Sam Vines continued his rise through the national team pool, picking up an assist and helping the USMNT post two clean sheets in friendly wins over El Salvador and Trinidad & Tobago. Lewis scored his first two career USMNT goals in a 90-minute performance against Trinidad on Jan. 31. Vines, Lewis, Trusty and midfielder Cole Bassett also spent part of preseason with the U.S. U-23 MNT during Concacaf Olympic Qualifying.
In accordance with MLS capacity guidelines and with approval from the Tri-County Health Department, the Colorado Rapids announced on Tuesday that 7,897 fans, or approximately 44 percent of capacity, will be permitted to attend the Rapids 2021 Home Opener at DICK'S Sporting Goods Park against expansion side Austin FC on Saturday, April 24. Kickoff is set for 7:00 PM. Fans can sign up for the single-game ticket priority list at the link here.
News & Notes
Colorado is 7-4-3 on Opening Day since 2007.
The Rapids return 96 percent of their minutes played from 2020, the most in MLS.
Colorado won five games on the road in 2020, tied for the most in MLS.
F Michael Barrios is available for selection to make his Rapids debut in his return to Dallas. The Colombian winger spent six seasons with FC Dallas and is the club's second all-time leader in combined goals and assists.
M Kellyn Acosta returns to Dallas, where he started his career on a Homegrown contract. He scored 9 goals and added 12 assists in 117 games across parts of six seasons before being traded to Colorado in 2018.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 16, 2021
- Earthquakes Drop Opener to Houston Dynamo FC, 2-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Houston Dynamo FC Open Season with 2-1 Win over San Jose - Houston Dynamo FC
- LAFC Hosts Austin FC in 2021 Season Opener Saturday, April 17 at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC and Goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Los Angeles FC
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Luke Singh - Toronto FC
- Inter Miami CF Exercises Offseason Buyout on Matías Pellegrini - Inter Miami CF
- Inter Miami CF Exercise Offseason Buyout on Matias Pellegrini - MLS
- Timbers Open Quarterfinals of 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League vs. Club AmÉrica on April 28 at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sounders FC Finalizes Roster Ahead of 2021 Campaign - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York Red Bulls Introduce Ally Melendez as In-Stadium Host - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF to Kick off 2021 Season at Home against the LA Galaxy - Inter Miami CF
- Atlanta United Loans Efrain Morales to ATL UTD 2 - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Orlando City SC - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Midfielder Yordy Reyna Placed on Injured List - D.C. United
- Open Cup Committee Determines 2021 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Will Not be Held this Spring - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Sign Defender Aedan Stanley and Goalkeeper William Pulisic - Austin FC
- New York Opens 26th MLS Season against Sporting KC at RBA - New York Red Bulls
- Sporting Opens Season Saturday at Red Bulls - Sporting Kansas City
- Rapids Kick off 2021 Season at FC Dallas on Saturday - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire FC Partner with Local Artist Sentrock for Limited-Edition Merchandise and Art Collection - Chicago Fire FC
- Atlanta United signs Rocco Ríos Novo to Short Term Agreement - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Sign Former Black-And-Red Standout Andy Najar - D.C. United
- Timbers Acquire $225,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati - Portland Timbers
- IHeartMedia Philadelphia and Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Agreement for FOX Sports Radio "The Gambler" as Official Radio Broadcast Partner - Philadelphia Union
- FC Cincinnati Acquire International Roster Spot from the Portland Timbers - FC Cincinnati
- MNUFC Announces Roster for 2021 Season Opener - Minnesota United FC
- New England Revolution Open 2021 MLS Season Saturday at Chicago Fire FC - New England Revolution
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Opens Its 2021 MLS Campaign against FC Cincinnati - Nashville SC
- Major League Soccer to Provide More Than 50,000 Tickets to Frontline and Essential Workers During 2021 Season - MLS
- Inter Miami CF Signs Defender Sami Guediri from Fort Lauderdale CF - Inter Miami CF
- Two Earthquakes Players Obtain Green Cards - San Jose Earthquakes
- MSG Networks Announces 2021 New York Red Bulls Telecast Schedule - New York Red Bulls
- Whitecaps FC Team up with MNP for a Strategic Sponsorship - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- D.C. United Acquire Defender Antonio Alfaro - D.C. United
- #DALvCOL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Inter Miami CF to Kick off 2021 Season with New Facebook and Instagram AR Filter - Inter Miami CF
- 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Quarterfinals Schedule Confirmed - Philadelphia Union
- Quarterfinals Schedule Announced for 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League - Atlanta United FC
- Year 2 of the Pareja Era Set to Begin this Saturday - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Opens 2021 MLS Season against Atlanta United FC - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls Further Partnerships with Jersey, Apparel Placements - New York Red Bulls
- Minnesota United FC at Seattle Sounders Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Army-Navy Cup IX Returns to Subaru Park on April 25 - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Rapids Look to Build First Winning Streak of 2021 against Visiting Loons
- Know Your Opponent: Rapids Prepare for 2020 Playoff Rematch against MNUFC
- Youth Update: Rapids Academy Finds Early Success, USL Championship Kicks off 2021 Campaign
- Rubio, Yarbrough Named to MLS Team of the Week, Rubio Nominated for Goal of the Week
- Rapids' May 8 Match against Minnesota United FC to be Livestreamed on ColoradoRapids.Com