Alaska takes season series from Thunder in wild 7-5 loss to Aces
STOCKTON, Calif. - The Stockton Thunder (17-39-14, 48 points) and Alaska Aces (52-11-7, 111 points) combined for 12 goals in a high-scoring affair, as the Thunder saw its five-game unbeaten streak snapped in a 7-5 loss in front of 6,296 fans at Stockton Arena on Wednesday night.
The Thunder jumped out to an early lead, as Mike Lalonde intercepted the puck near the Alaska blueline and beat Aces' goaltender Matt Underhill on the stick side for the first goal of the game at 4:51. Lance Monych gave the Thunder a two-goal lead when he knocked in a rebound on an Aaron MacInnis slapshot at 12:18 in the first. Alaska's Barret Heisten started the Aces comeback, scoring with just 8.9 seconds remaining in the period.
The second period was all Alaska, as they outshot the thunder 20-5 in the period. The Aces tied the game 3:11 into the second when Mike Scott scored the first of the Aces' three third period goals. Vladimir Novak and the ECHL leading scorer Alex Leavitt added goals to give Alaska a 4-2 lead going into the third period.
The Aces extended their lead as Scott added his second goal of the game 2:46 into the third period. Monych picked up his second goal of the game on a slapshot 3:52 into the third period, after Geno Parrish intercepted a pass at the Alaska blueline. Kimbi Daniels added a shorthanded goal for the Aces at 8:33 to push their lead to 6-3. Joel Irwin followed with two goals for the Thunder from the doorstep, the first 30 seconds later on an Aaron MacInnis slapshot and the second when he knocked in a Jason Metcalfe rebound, making the score 6-5. Leavitt banged in a rebound to ice the game for Alaska at 17:14 to end the scoring.
MacInnis collected a career-high three assists on the night, giving him a total of eight assists in his last eight games. Thunder goaltender Jake Moreland came up with 41 saves on the night, the 14th time this season he has stopped 40 or more shots.
The Thunder continues its season-ending four-game homestand with a Friday 7:30 p.m. PT game against the Bakersfield Condors at Stockton Arena. The game can be heard live on the internet (free-of-charge) and is available for viewing at a $6 "pay-per-view" rate at www.stocktonthunder.com, courtesy of B-2 Networks. Thunder season tickets, individual tickets, and mini packages are on-sale now. Individual tickets can be purchased in person at Stockton Arena's Ticket Office, online at www.stocktontickets.com, or by phone at (209) 373-1700. For more information about tickets, merchandise, or other inquiries contact the Stockton Thunder offices at (209) 373-1500 or visit www.stocktonthunder.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from April 6, 2006
- Bonk Named Runner-Up for ECHL Player of the Month - Bakersfield Condors
- Falcons vs. Gulls - First Round Kelly Cup Playoffs - Fresno Falcons
- Hurricanes hit Victoria - Victoria Salmon Kings
- Thunder Sets Up For Blade-Beating Weekend - Stockton Thunder
- Playoff Dates For Round One Announced - San Diego Gulls
- Passmore nets runner up honors for Player of the Month - Augusta Lynx
- San Diego Hosts Final Regular Season Home Game At ipayOne Center - San Diego Gulls
- More Honors For Drew - Toledo Walleye
- Chiefs to Auction St. Patty's Day Jerseys - Johnstown Chiefs
- Toledo's MacIntyre RBC Financial Group ECHL Saver Of The Month - ECHL
- Hrdel Reassigned to Chiefs - Johnstown Chiefs
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Checkers to Play at home on April 11th - Charlotte Checkers
- Stepp Called up to AHL Chicago - Atlanta Gladiators
- Grrrowl change time of first playoff game - Greenville Grrrowl
- Lynx to relaunch website - Augusta Lynx
- Saviano receives ECHL Sportsman of the Year Award - Florida Everblades
- Florida's Saviano Wins ECHL Sportsmanship Award - ECHL
- Idaho's McConvey Named CCM TACKS ECHL Player Of The Month - ECHL
- Ernst Honored For ECHL Referee Career - ECHL
- Falcons Sign Goaltender Jeff Van Nynatten - Fresno Falcons
- 2006 CCM Man of the Year Voting Begins - Fresno Falcons
- Royals' Fifth Annual Fans' Choice Awards Banquet A Big Hit - Reading Royals
- NHL Network Game Of The Week Is Greenville At Florida - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- MacIntyre Back With Storm - Toledo Walleye
- Aces repel Thunder, 7-5 - Alaska Aces
- Alaska takes season series from Thunder in wild 7-5 loss to Aces - Stockton Thunder
- Surprise: another overtime for Gulls - San Diego Gulls
- Steelheads close out regular season with 4-3 shootout win over Gulls - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Thunder Stories
- Final Weather Report: All the News and Notes from the Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Announce End of the Year Equipment Sale
- Thunder Win Final ECHL Game in front of Sold Out Crowd
- Final Thunder Home Game at Stockton Arena at 7:30 p.m.
- Larocque Scores in Second Straight against Bakersfield but Team Falls