Ads Battle Back to Earn Point in Shoot-Out Loss
LOVELAND, CO - For a second straight night, Jayson Megna scored a shootout winning goal to lift the Colorado Eagles to a 4-3 victory over the Milwaukee Admirals.
Trailing 3-2 at the 6:27 mark of the third period, the Admirals benefitted from a 5-minute major boarding penalty against Colorado's Dalton Smith. Cole Schneider scored his team-leading 13th goal of the season near the end of the extended power play to tie the game at 3-3. Schneider's goal (11:28) was a rebound off an initial shot by Rocco Grimaldi and was his fifth power play goal of the season.
In the shootout, David Farrance scored in the second round to give the Admirals the lead, but Jordan Gross tied it in the bottom of the third. Megna scored the winner in the bottom of the next round.
Grimaldi had a goal and an assist for the Admirals, and Egor Afanasyev notched a pair of assists. The Admirals were 2-for-6 on the power play and outshot the Eagles 42-39. Devin Cooley made 36 saves for Milwaukee.
Following a 1-1 first period, the Eagles netted the first two of the second. Nearly six minutes into the period, a Shane Bowers wrist shot from the left circle got past a diving Cooley inside the far post to give the Eagles a 2-1 lead. A 5-on-3 man advantage later in the second allowed the Eagles to extend the lead to two goals, when Megna ripped a one-time shot past Cooley at the 12:24 mark to extend the lead to 3-1.
Five seconds after the Eagles killed the Admirals' third power play chance, Josh Healey hit Grant Mismash in stride on a rink-wide stretch pass, and Mismash's hard wrist shot from the left circle beat Annunen high to cut the lead to 3-2 with 2:58 left in the second period.
Sampo Raanta got the scoring started at 11:10 of the first period, when he was able to score the rebound off his own initial shot, knocking in a puck that ricocheted off of Cooley's stick and straight up into the air. Six minutes later, Grimaldi gave the Admirals a power play goal for the second straight game, when Afanasyev played a neat pass from the left circle to the right, and Grimaldi sent his wrist shot over the glove of Annunen to tie the game at 1-1 at 17:09.
The Admirals continue their three-game roadtrip on Monday afternoon, when they visit the Iowa Wild for a 2 p.m. CT face off.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 16, 2022
- Reichel and Mitchell Return to IceHogs; Morris and Hardman Join Blackhawks - Rockford IceHogs
- Phantoms Snag Standings Point to Close Weekend - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Three Head to Detroit's Taxi Squad - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Islanders Doubled up at Providence - Bridgeport Islanders
- Penguins Pull off Gutsy, 2-1 Win over Hershey - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Asselin's Hat Trick Leads P-Bruins to Third Consecutive Victory in 6-3 Win over Bridgeport Islanders - Providence Bruins
- Gersich Scores in 2-1 Setback at Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Hershey Bears
- Rangers Assign Anthony Greco to Wolf Pack - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Stars Top Checkers 6-5 in Sunday's Matinee - Texas Stars
- Checkers Drop Back-And-Forth Contest 6-5 - Charlotte Checkers
- Iowa Wild Complete Roster Moves - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Wild Recalls Hunter Jones and Kyle Rau from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Bridgeport Islanders Continue Road Trip in Providence - Bridgeport Islanders
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Jean-Francois Berube to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Penguins, 3:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Marlies Travel to Allentown for Tilt with the Phantoms - Toronto Marlies
- IceHogs Celebrate 11th Annual Autism Awareness Night on Saturday, January 22 at BMO Harris Bank Center - Rockford IceHogs
- Roadrunners Fall 4-1 On The Road - Tucson Roadrunners
- Silver Knights Fall to Ontario, 5-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Gulls Soar Past Canucks in San Diego - Abbotsford Canucks
- Gulls Bounce back with Win over Abbotsford - San Diego Gulls
- Reign Share the Wealth to Beat Henderson - Ontario Reign
- Condors Claw Barracuda 5-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Heat Start Home Stand with 4-1 Win - Stockton Heat
- Win Streak Reaches Five, as Eagles Top Milwaukee, 4-3 - Colorado Eagles
- Ads Battle Back to Earn Point in Shoot-Out Loss - Milwaukee Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.