Wranglers' 2007 schedule released
AUSTIN-The Austin Wranglers and the Arena Football League announced the 2007 regular season schedule today. Coming off their first playoff berth in franchise history, the Wranglers look to improve on last year's record in their quest for an ArenaBowl title.
Arena Football's hard-hitting, fan-friendly," must be there" sports experience continues on Sunday, March 4 when the Wranglers host the Las Vegas Gladiators at 3 p.m. at the Frank Erwin Center. The 2007 schedule consists of a 16-game regular season over the course of 17 weeks, with each team securing one bye week. This year's playoffs will begin with Wild Card Weekend on June 29 and will conclude with ArenaBowl XXI on Sunday, July 29.
Wranglers Key Games in 2007
-The Austin Wranglers kick off the regular season for the second consecutive year hosting the Las Vegas Gladiators on Sunday, March 4 at 3 p.m. Last year's game saw the Wranglers running over the Gladiators with five rushing touchdowns in the 64-46 win.
-Weeks Four and Six mark the first meetings for the Wranglers against the Nashville Kats and Utah Blaze. The Kats are co-owned by Tennessee Titans owner Bud Adams and country music star Tim McGraw, with kickoff set for 7:30 p.m. on Saturday, March 24. Blaze head coach and former Dallas Cowboy quarterback Danny White returns to Texas on Friday, April 6.
-"The Cattle Drive on I-35" takes place during Week Five when the Wranglers travel to Dallas to face intrastate rivals the Desperados at American Airlines Center on Saturday, March 31 at 7:30 p.m. It was a battle of the unbeatens in last year's game which saw the Wranglers remain perfect thanks to the legs of sensational kick returner Sedrick Robinson in the 56-49 victory.
-Austin welcomes back the New Orleans VooDoo on Saturday, April 21 at 7:30 p.m. After a year off due to Hurricane Katrina, the VooDoo looks to continue where they left off in 2005. New Orleans holds the edge 3-1 in the teams four meetings since they both entered the league in 2004.
-Week 10 proves to be a homecoming of sorts for former Wranglers Tom Briggs, Torrance Marshall and P.J. Winston when the Tampa Bay Storm travels to Austin on Sunday, May 6 at 3 p.m. In one of last season's best games, the Wranglers prevailed 60-59 with a last second Derrick Lewis touchdown and a two-point conversion by quarterback John Fitzgerald.
-A rematch of the Wranglers playoff game last season occurs in Week 13 when Bon Jovi's Philadelphia Soul returns to Austin. The Wranglers will be out to avenge their 52-35 playoff loss to the Soul in 2006. Game time is set for 3 p.m. on Sunday, May 27.
-The Wranglers 2007 regular season concludes with a two-game road trip against Southern Division rivals the New Orleans VooDoo and Tampa Bay Storm during Week 16 and 17. Each year, the Southern Division crown is settled during the final weeks of the regular season, so these games prove to have major playoff implications.
AUSTIN WRANGLERS 2007 REGULAR SEASON SCHEDULE
WEEK. DATE OPPONENT TIME(CST)
1 Sunday, March 4 LAS VEGAS 3 p.m.
2 Sunday, March 11 at Georgia 2:30 p.m.
3 Friday, March 16 at Orlando 6:30 p.m.
4 Saturday, March 24 NASHVILLE 7:30 p.m.
5 Saturday, March 31 at Dallas 7:30 p.m.
6 Friday, April 6 UTAH 7:30 p.m.
7 Saturday, April 14 at Columbus 6 p.m.
8 Saturday, April 21 NEW ORLEANS 7:30 p.m.
10 Sunday, May 6 TAMPA BAY 3 p.m.
11 Saturday, May 12 at Arizona 9 p.m.
12 Saturday, May 20 ORLANDO 3 p.m.
13 Sunday, May 27 PHILADELPHIA 3 p.m.
14 Saturday, June 2 at New York 6 p.m.
15 Saturday, June 9 GEORGIA 7:30 p.m.
16 Sunday, June 17 at New Orleans 5:30 p.m.
17 Saturday, June 23 at Tampa Bay 6:30 p.m.
*Please note - all times are subject to change*
In 49 other states its just football. This is Texas - Football Country. For tickets please call 512.339.3939 or visit the Official Website of the Austin Wranglers at www.austinwranglers.com for additional information.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from November 29, 2006
- Gladiators sign QB Shaun King - Las Vegas Gladiators
- VooDoo announce 2007 schedule - New Orleans VooDoo
- Colorado Crush release 2007 schedule - Colorado Crush
- Storm acquire Toliver from Nashville - Tampa Bay Storm
- Las Vegas Gladiators 2007 season schedule announced - Las Vegas Gladiators
- Dallas Desperados announce 2007 schedule - Dallas Desperados
- SaberCats announce 2007 schedule - San Jose SaberCats
- Soul announce 2007 schedule - Philadelphia Soul
- Rattlers announce 2007 schedule - Arizona Rattlers
- Brigade hosts defending ArenaBowl champs Chicago Rush to open 2007 season - Kansas City Brigade
- Blaze release 2007 season schedule - Utah Blaze
- 2007 Georgia Force Schedule Announced - Georgia Force
- Storm announce 2007 season schedule - Tampa Bay Storm
- Predators announce 2007 schedule - Orlando Predators
- 2007 Rampage Schedule Released - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Los Angeles Avengers announce 2007 schedule - Los Angeles Avengers
- Destroyers Announce 2007 Regular Season Schedule - Columbus Destroyers
- Nashville Kats 2007 Schedule Released by AFL - Nashville Kats
- 2007 Chicago Rush schedule announced - Chicago Rush
- Dragons 2007 season schedule announced - New York Dragons
- 2007 season begins March 1 - AFL I
- Wranglers' 2007 schedule released - Austin Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.