Woodies Shut Out By Dash, As Winning Streak Ends At Five
Kinston, N.C. - The Wood Ducks fell 3-0 to the Winston-Salem Dash Friday, snapping their five game winning streak.
It was just the third shutout loss of the year for the Wood Ducks (16-10, 66-30) who had not been shut out since May 16 against Potomac. Down East went 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position, stranding eight in the contest.
Kade McClure (win, 2-1) pitched well for the Dash (11-15, 49-41) scattering six hits over five scoreless innings, while striking out five. He did not walk a batter in the contest.
The Dash got on the board in the first inning when they strung together three consecutive one-out singles, with Craig Dedelow driving home Mitch Roman to make it 1-0.
Winston-Salem added a run in the sixth. Steele Walker singled through the right side, and after a groundout pushed him to second base, Carlos Perez singled to center to plate Walker and make it 2-0.
Then in the eighth, Dedelow reached on a two-out walk, and scored on a dropped popout one batter later to extend the Dash advantage to 3-0.
The Wood Ducks were unable to cash in with runners on. They had two on base with one out in the third and could not convert, and then had two in scoring position in the fourth inning, and again could not capitalize. Yohel Pozo did have a three hit game for the Woodies in the loss, while Tyler Depreta-Johnson enjoyed a two-hit night.
John King (loss, 2-2) suffered the tough luck loss, giving up two runs on eight hits in six innings. He walked one and struck out four.
Jose Nin (save, 8) came out of the bullpen to fire the final two scoreless innings for the Dash.
After 26 consecutive games following the all-star break, the Wood Ducks will have an off day tomorrow, before embarking on a six game road trip beginning on Wednesday against the Red Sox. Game time is set for 7:05 p.m. from Salem, and the pregame show will begin at 6:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online on 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio App.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Birds Shutout Hillcats in Game Three to Win Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash Post Shutout in Monday's Finale at Down East - Winston-Salem Dash
- Birds Blank Lynchburg in Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Nationals Shutout Woodpeckers - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Bowlan No-HIts Carolina as Blue Rocks Finish off Sweep - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodies Shut Out By Dash, As Winning Streak Ends At Five - Down East Wood Ducks
- Cate Shines Again as P-Nats Blank Fayetteville - Potomac Nationals
- Bowlan Fires First Blue Rocks No-Hitter in 19 Years - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 15 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Corcino and Walks Crush Keys - Frederick Keys
- July 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information / Roster Update - Carolina Mudcats
- LHP Manny Rondon promoted to Double-A Tennessee from Myrtle Beach - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 15 vs. Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- July 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Cole Freeman Named Carolina League Player of the Week - Potomac Nationals
- Hanifee Earns CL Pitcher of the Week Honors - Frederick Keys
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks Statement on Delay of 2020 Season
- Down East Wood Ducks to Host ECU vs UNCW Baseball Game, April 14
- Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year