Bowlan No-HIts Carolina as Blue Rocks Finish off Sweep
WILMINGTON, DE - Wilmington's Jonathan Bowlan spun a no-hitter while leading the Blue Rocks to a sweep clinching 3-0 victory versus the Mudcats on Monday night at Frawley Stadium in Wilmington, DE. Bowlan struck out nine and threw just 98 pitches while becoming the first Carolina League starter to pitch through a no-hitter this season.
Carolina (13-13, 52-43) had just one base runner in the game as outfielder Wes Rogers reached on a throwing error in the second. That throwing error was all that kept Bowlan (W, 4-1, 1.59) from a perfect game as faced only 28 batters over his brilliant nine-inning outing.
The Blue Rocks (13-12, 57-37) spotted their starter with an early 2-0 lead after scoring twice in the second against Carolina's Christian Taugner. They also scored once more in the seventh after knocking Taugner (L, 4-6, 4.99) out of the game.
Taugner worked through a quality start in Monday's series finale as he worked through six and 1/3 innings with three runs (all earned) allowed on seven hits. He also struck out four, and like Bowlan, did not issue a walk in his start.
Wilmington's two run second began with a double by Nick Pratto and continued with a sacrifice bunt from Cristian Perez. Carolina attempted to catch Pratto at third on the Perez sac bunt, but Pratto beat the throw and both runners ended up reaching safely. Sebastian Rivero then singled in Pratto to break the scoreless tie and a double play hit into by Kyle Kasser scored Perez as the Blue Rocks went up 2-0.
Perez and Rivero struck again in the seventh as they singled and doubled respectively before knocking Taugner out of the game. Reliever Matt Hardy followed and went on to give up a single to Kasser to bring in Wilmington's third and final run of the game. Perez scored on Kasser's hit, but outfielder Rob Henry caught Rivero at the plate for the second out of the inning. Hardy pitched through an inning and 2/3 with a hit allowed, one walk and one strikeout.
Perez went 2-for-3 with two runs while batting seventh in the game for the Blue Rocks. Rivero also went 2-for-3 with a double and a RBI. Pratto was 1-for-3 with a double and a RBI.
The no-hitter was the fourth thrown against the Mudcats in franchise history. It was also the first no-hitter in the Carolina League this season.
Monday's game was the finale of Carolina's six game road trip. The Mudcats finished at just 1-5 on the trip and were swept for the third time in a series in the second half with Monday's loss. The loss also came at the very end of a stretch of 26 consecutive days with a game for Carolina.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Birds Shutout Hillcats in Game Three to Win Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash Post Shutout in Monday's Finale at Down East - Winston-Salem Dash
- Birds Blank Lynchburg in Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Nationals Shutout Woodpeckers - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Bowlan No-HIts Carolina as Blue Rocks Finish off Sweep - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodies Shut Out By Dash, As Winning Streak Ends At Five - Down East Wood Ducks
- Cate Shines Again as P-Nats Blank Fayetteville - Potomac Nationals
- Bowlan Fires First Blue Rocks No-Hitter in 19 Years - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 15 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Corcino and Walks Crush Keys - Frederick Keys
- July 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information / Roster Update - Carolina Mudcats
- LHP Manny Rondon promoted to Double-A Tennessee from Myrtle Beach - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 15 vs. Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- July 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Cole Freeman Named Carolina League Player of the Week - Potomac Nationals
- Hanifee Earns CL Pitcher of the Week Honors - Frederick Keys
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Carolina Mudcats Stories
- Mudcats and Minor League Baseball's #MiLBAtHomeOpener Begins Tomorrow
- Annual Job Fair Rescheduled for Thursday, February 27 at Five County Stadium
- Annual Job Fair Set for Thursday, February 20 at Five County Stadium
- Mudcats Individual Game Tickets Now on Sale
- Manager Joe Ayrault Returns as Brewers Announce 2020 Mudcats Staff