July 15 Game Information
Today the Wood Ducks (16-9, 66-29) go for the series sweep against the Dash (10-15, 48-41), when they send lefty John King (2-1, 1.87) to the mound to face off with Winston-Salem righty Kade McClure (1-1, 2.06). First pitch is set for 7 p.m. and the broadcast will begin at 6:50 p.m. on 960AM The Bull, and online at 960thebull.com as well as on the MiLB First Pitch and TuneIn Radio Apps. It's Dogs and Dogs night at Grainger Stadium where fans can enjoy $1 hot dogs and also bring their dogs to the par for just $1. For tickets and more information visit woodducksbaseball.com, or call (252) 686-5172. Complete game notes are attached.
LAST TIME OUT: Sam Huff and Diosbel Arias each hit solo home runs, while Bubba Thompson lined an RBI single in his return to the lineup as Down East topped Winston-Salem, 3-2. Noah Bremer struck out seven in 4.1 innings, allowing just an unearned run, while Joe Kuzia stranded the tying run on second in the ninth to secure his 13th save of the season.
TAKE FIVE: The Wood Ducks have now won five straight games, their sixth winning streak this season of five or more games. Down East won a franchise best 10 straight April 26-May 5, also the longest streak in the Carolina League this year.
MONEY IN THE BANK: Alex Eubanks delivered a quality start for the Wood Ducks Saturday, retiring the final 15 batters he faced. Eubanks, who was named Carolina League Pitcher of the Week July 1-7, be-came the seventh Wood Duck this season to garner a weekly award. Since joining the starting rotation Eubanks is 4-1 with a 1.42 ERA and has allowed just 28 base runners in 38 innings, while striking out 27.
TERRY ON A TEAR: Curtis Terry has now hit safely in 19 of his last 21 games, including ten multi-hit games. He is now sporting a 1.043 OPS since joining Down East, June 21. Within that stretch was a 12-game hit streak (19-44, .432) which came to an end on Saturday, Terry now has 19 home runs on the season combined with his time in Hickory.
MAGNIFICENT MENDEZ: Sal Mendez has been excellent for the Wood Ducks this season, especially since joining the starting rotation. Mendez leads the Carolina League with a 2.14 ERA, and as a starter that mark is just 1.55. Six of Mendez' nine starts have been quality outings, and he has given up just one earned run in 13 innings over two starts in July.
A HALF FOR THE HISTORY BOOKS: The Down East Wood Ducks became just the sixth team in Carolina League history to finish a half with a winning percentage of .700 or better, while their 50 wins are the second most in any half in league history:
1. 1980 Peninsula (1st) 51-19 .729
2. 2019 DOWN EAST (1st) 50-20 .714
T3. 1982 Peninsula (2nd) 49-20 .710
T3. 1983 Lynchburg (1st) 49-20 .710
5. 1994 Wilmington (1st) 48-20 .706
6. 1980 Peninsula (2nd) 49-21 .700
THE FUTURE IS HERE: Sam Huff clubbed a game-tying home run in the seventh inning of the SiriusXM Futures Game on Sunday to take home MVP honors. Huff becomes the second Ranger all-time to take home the award, joining Joey Gallo (2014). Huff followed it up by hitting a home run his first game back in Myrtle Beach, and clubbed another Friday against Lynchburg, and one more Sunday against Winston-Salem.
NO RUNS FOR YOU!: The Wood Ducks 2-0 shutout win over the Pelicans, last Sunday was their 15th on the season, which is tied for the most in all of minor league baseball with the Dunedin Blue Jays of the Florida State League, and the Quad City River Bandits of the Midwest League. Down East's team ERA of 2.66 is also the best in MiLB, with only four teams sporting a mark below 3.00.
CLUTCH TIME!: The walk-off home run from Yanio Perez Thursday was the Wood Ducks fifth walk-off win this season, and second walk-off home run of the year. It was Perez' first home run since April 27 against Fayetteville. The Wood Ducks have now won three times this season when trailing after eight innings. Down East was being no-hit through five innings and won 6-2 in 10 innings, July 6 at Salem, while being one-hit through eight innings July 11 vs Lynchburg.
CUP OF JOE: Joe Kuzia has been tremendous out of the bullpen for the Wood Ducks since joining the club May 9. He has converted all 13 save opportunities in addition to picking up a trio of wins in relief. Kuzia put together a 19-inning scoreless streak from 5/19-6/26. Overall this season he boasts an ERA of 0.56 and a WHIP of 1.00. Kuzia now ranks second in the Carolina League in saves, with all 13 coming since May 26.
ORGANIZATIONAL STRENGTH: It hasn't just been the Wood Ducks who have performed well this season, the Rangers organization as a whole has been among the best
1. Tampa Bay Rays 302-211 .589
2. TEXAS RANGERS 279-214 .566
3. Pittsburgh Pirates 284-223 .560
DEWD ON THE MOVE: Former Wood Duck right-hander Pete Fairbanks was traded by the Rangers to the Tampa Bay Rays Friday. Fairbanks made his MLB debut for Texas June 9, appearing in eight games at the big league level. In return the Rangers received second baseman Nick Solak, who is now the 10th ranked prospect in the system by MLB Pipeline.
SHOWTIME: Former Wood Duck Pedro Payano made his Major League debut for the Rangers, June 6, becoming the eighth Wood Ducks to make it to The Show. Payano delivered a scoreless sixth inning against the Twins. He joins Ricardo Rodriguez, Jeffrey Springs, C.D. Pelham, and Brett Martin, Joe Palumbo, Pete Fairbanks, and Locke St. John. Down East has also had a player go from Adv.-A to the majors in one year in each of the three seasons (Rodriguez-'17, Pelham-'18, Fairbanks-'19).
RAGS AT THE HELM: Corey Ragsdale takes over as skipper for the Wood Ducks in 2019. Ragsdale will remain the Rangers Minor League Field Coordinator, while assuming a managerial seat for the first time since 2015, when he led the Hickory Crawdads to a South Atlantic League Championship, the second of his career.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Birds Shutout Hillcats in Game Three to Win Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash Post Shutout in Monday's Finale at Down East - Winston-Salem Dash
- Birds Blank Lynchburg in Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Nationals Shutout Woodpeckers - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Bowlan No-HIts Carolina as Blue Rocks Finish off Sweep - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodies Shut Out By Dash, As Winning Streak Ends At Five - Down East Wood Ducks
- Cate Shines Again as P-Nats Blank Fayetteville - Potomac Nationals
- Bowlan Fires First Blue Rocks No-Hitter in 19 Years - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 15 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Corcino and Walks Crush Keys - Frederick Keys
- July 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information / Roster Update - Carolina Mudcats
- LHP Manny Rondon promoted to Double-A Tennessee from Myrtle Beach - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 15 vs. Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- July 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Cole Freeman Named Carolina League Player of the Week - Potomac Nationals
- Hanifee Earns CL Pitcher of the Week Honors - Frederick Keys
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Down East Wood Ducks Stories
- Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Coaching Staff
- Down East Wood Ducks Unveil New Copa de la Diversion Identity for 2020 Season
- Stephen Watson Named 2019 Carolina League Turf Manager of the Year
- Down East Wood Ducks Announce 2020 Schedule
- Fayetteville Uses Four Run Seventh To Advance To Championship