Cate Shines Again as P-Nats Blank Fayetteville
Fayetteville, NC - The Potomac Nationals (12-13, 42-50) got another strong start from LHP Tim Cate as they took their series against the Fayetteville Woodpeckers (12-13, 43-51) on Monday night with a 3-0 shutout win.
Cate (W, 2-2) tossed 6.0 scoreless innings on 78 pitches, scattering three hits with five strikeouts to earn his second win. The lefty hasn't allowed an earned run over his last 16.0 innings, and has turned in three consecutive quality starts.
Potomac scored their first run in the fourth when CF Cole Freeman hit a leadoff triple off RHP Austin Hansen (L, 2-2). The reigning Carolina League Player of the Week was still at third with two outs when LF Jack Sundberg drew a walk, setting in motion a double steal that saw Freeman slide safely across the plate. It was the first of two stolen bases for Freeman, who swiped seven on the six-game road trip to give him 25 on the year.
Cate escaped a bases-loaded jam in the fourth with a double play off the bat of C Michael Papierski, and benefitted from a pair of stellar defensive plays from SS Gilbert Lara to complete six innings.
LHP Aaron Fletcher took over for Cate in the seventh, and issued a leadoff walk to DH Corey Julks before a stolen base and wild pitch put the tying run at third with no outs. Fletcher kept the ball in the infield with a groundout, strikeout and popout to preserve the 1-0 lead.
In the eighth, the P-Nats got some needed insurance as RHP Nivaldo Rodriguez struggled with his control. RF Gage Canning's leadoff walk came around to score on a Freeman bunt single and scoring error, and after two more walks another run scored on a Sundberg double play to make the score 3-0.
Fletcher worked a quiet eighth before RHP Frankie Bartow (S, 3) retired the Woodpeckers in order in the ninth for his third save.
The P-Nats will enjoy their first scheduled off day in more than three weeks on Tuesday before returning to action on Wednesday night against Frederick. LHP Carson Teel faces off against RHP David Lebron in the opener against the Keys. First pitch from Northwest Federal Field is set for 7:05 pm, with the P-Nats Leadoff Show starting at 6:50 on potomacnationals.com or the TuneIn Radio App.
The Potomac Nationals of the Carolina League play at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia, and are the Carolina League affiliate of the Washington Nationals. The Potomac Nationals have claimed five Carolina League Championship titles (1982, 1989, 2008, 2010, and 2014) and 10 CL Northern Division Championships. Sponsorship opportunities for the P-Nats' 2019 season and beyond are available, as well as all-inclusive corporate picnic outings to watch the future stars of the Washington Nationals at The Pfitz. 2019 Potomac Nationals season tickets and mini plans are now on sale. For more information on Potomac Nationals 2019 season tickets, mini plans, group outings, picnic packages, fundraisers, and all things Red, White, and Blue, visit the P-Nats online at www.potomacnationals.com, follow the P-Nats on Facebook (@PotomacNationals), Twitter (@PNats42), and Instagram (@pnats42), or call the Potomac Nationals' Extreme Custom Collision Ticket Office at 703-590-2311.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 15, 2019
- Birds Shutout Hillcats in Game Three to Win Series - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Dash Post Shutout in Monday's Finale at Down East - Winston-Salem Dash
- Birds Blank Lynchburg in Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Nationals Shutout Woodpeckers - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Bowlan No-HIts Carolina as Blue Rocks Finish off Sweep - Carolina Mudcats
- Woodies Shut Out By Dash, As Winning Streak Ends At Five - Down East Wood Ducks
- Cate Shines Again as P-Nats Blank Fayetteville - Potomac Nationals
- Bowlan Fires First Blue Rocks No-Hitter in 19 Years - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winston-Salem Dash: Game Notes (July 15 at Down East) - Winston-Salem Dash
- Corcino and Walks Crush Keys - Frederick Keys
- July 15 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information / Roster Update - Carolina Mudcats
- LHP Manny Rondon promoted to Double-A Tennessee from Myrtle Beach - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans Game Notes: July 15 vs. Lynchburg - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- July 15 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
- Cole Freeman Named Carolina League Player of the Week - Potomac Nationals
- Hanifee Earns CL Pitcher of the Week Honors - Frederick Keys
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- Potomac Nationals Players Recognized in 2019 Minor League Awards
- 2019 Potomac Nationals Season in Review
- Fredericksburg Baseball Team Gets a Name
- Carson Teel Named Carolina League Player of the Month
- Fredericksburg Baseball Hires Nick Hall as New Executive Vice President and General Manager; Bryan Holland and Aaron Johnson Promoted to Vice Presidents