Wolves Suffer First Loss in a Month
ROCKFORD, ILLINOIS - The Chicago Wolves' six-game winning streak came to a halt Wednesday night as former Wolves standout Brandon Pirri posted a hat trick to lead the host Rockford IceHogs to a 4-3 victory.
Despite the Wolves losing to Rockford for the first time in nine games dating back to last season, Wolves forward Tanner Jeannot extended the American Hockey League's longest active point streak to 12 games and his personal goal streak to eight games as he and rookie forward Phil Tomasino took turns setting up each other.
Tomasino (G, 2A) also set up Dominik Bokk for a power-play goal as the 19-year-old registered his second 3-point effort of his 16-game career.
For the fourth game in a row, the Wolves (14-3-0-1) allowed the first goal as Rockford's MacKenzie Entwistle sprung free for a breakaway and scored exactly seven minutes into the first period.
Unlike the previous three games, Rockford (7-12-1-0) also earned the game's second goal Pirri wired home a wrister from the high slot at 7:40.
The Wolves slashed their deficit to 2-1 at 4:07 of the second when Jeannot intercepted a pass in the neutral zone, drove down the right wing and dished a backhand pass to Tomasino for a quick redirect just outside the crease.
Chicago had opportunities to pull even, but Pirri helped the IceHogs pull away as he delivered at 7:53 and 14:50 of the second to register his first American Hockey League hat trick since Dec. 8, 2018 - when Pirri was playing for the Wolves on Rockford's home ice.
Jeannot cut the margin to 4-2 at 3:53 of the third when Tomasino, working down the right wing, led Jeannot with a sauce pass toward the left post. Jeannot stretched his stick as far as he could reach and redirected it into the net.
Wolves goaltender Beck Warm (5-2-0), playing for the first time since March 13, posted 13 saves. Rockford's Matt Tomkins (3-7-1) stopped 30 shots in the win.
The Wolves travel to Des Moines to face the Iowa Wild at 7 p.m. Friday and 6 p.m. Saturday. Chicago's next game at the Wolves Training Facility is slated for Wednesday, April 21, versus Rockford.
ICEHOGS 4, WOLVES 3
Chicago 0 1 2 -- 3
Rockford 2 2 0 -- 4
First Period-1, Rockford, Entwistle 3 (Barratt, Busdeker), 6:58; 2, Rockford, Pirri 3 (Slavin, Carlsson), 7:40.
Penalties-Slavin, Rockford (tripping), 11:33; Cotton, Chicago (tripping), 15:03.
Second Period-3, Chicago, Tomasino 6 (Jeannot), 4:07; 4, Rockford, Pirri 4 (Beaudin, Slavin), 7:53; 5, Rockford, Pirri 5 (Altybarmakian, McLaughlin), 14:50.
Penalties-Fitzgerald, Chicago (holding), 8:24; Richard, Chicago (high-sticking), 15:27.
Third Period-6, Chicago, Jeannot 10 (Tomasino, Harper), 3:53; 7, Chicago, Bokk 6 (Tomasino, Warsofsky), 8:07 pp.
Penalties-Warsofsky, Chicago (slashing), 12:13.
Shots on goal-Chicago 13-8-12-33; Rockford 8-6-3-17. Power plays-Chicago 1-2; Rockford 0-4. Goalies-Chicago, Warm (13-17); Rockford, Tomkins (30-33). Referees-Sean Fernandez and Jarrod Ragusin. Linesmen-Tyler Gregory and Jonathan Sladek.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 7, 2021
- Henderson Topped by San Jose, 4-2, in Back-To-Back Game - Henderson Silver Knights
- Belleville Edges Moose, 3-2 - Manitoba Moose
- Amerks Fall in Overtime to Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Bears Beat Devils Again, Fire 50 Shots in 3-2 Victory - Hershey Bears
- Brodeur Stops 47 in 3-2 Loss to Bears - Binghamton Devils
- Crunch Edge Amerks, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolves Suffer First Loss in a Month - Chicago Wolves
- "Eagles Fight Cancer Night" Set for Saturday, April 10th - Colorado Eagles
- Phantoms Power Play - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Gettinger, Wolf Pack Scorch Bridgeport in Third for 7-2 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Defense Fails Sound Tigers in 7-2 Loss - Bridgeport Islanders
- Devils Sign Goaltender Mareks Mitens to ATO - Binghamton Devils
- Condors Host Henderson Friday in AHL Facebook Watch Game of the Week - Bakersfield Condors
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Moose, April 7th - Belleville Senators
- Gov. Pritzker Joins Blackhawks and Rockford Officials to Announce $23 Million BMO Harris Bank Center Capital Renovation - Rockford IceHogs
- Andreoff and Sandin to Phantoms, Twarynski to Taxi Squad - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Daniel Walcott from Syracuse Crunch to Taxi Squad - Syracuse Crunch
- Game Preview: Bears at Devils, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Sound Tigers Duel with Wolf Pack at 1 p.m. - Bridgeport Islanders
- Bakersfield Tops Reign in OT - Ontario Reign
- Stars Fall in Road Trip Opener - Texas Stars
- Kaut's Two-Goal Night Leads Colorado to 5-4 Win over Stars - Colorado Eagles
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.