'Wolves Battle Back, Take Down Curve in Extras
The SeaWolves battled from behind and scored six unanswered runs as they took down the Altoona Curve 9-6 in 10 innings at People's Natural Gas Field.
Erie struck first in the top of the fifth against Curve starter Dario Agrazal. Gabriel Quintana led off with a single and moved to second on an error. Quintana would score on a Kade Scivicque sacrifice fly for a 1-0 lead.
Altoona quickly tied the game in the last of the fifth against Erie starter Sandy Baez. Stephen Alemais tripled with two outs and scored on a Christian Kelley double.
The Curve then took the lead in the home half of the sixth. Jason Martin doubled with one out and Will Craig walked, putting an end to the day for Baez. Jeff Thompson entered and struck out Jordan George for the second out of the frame. Logan Hill followed and belted a three-run home run to left, giving Altoona a 4-1 lead.
The SeaWolves clawed their way back into the game in the top of the seventh. Quintana, Josh Lester and Scivicque all singled to load the bases for Harold Castro. Castro lifted a sacrifice fly to center, scoring Quintana to make it 4-2. Troy Montgomery followed with an RBI groundout to it 4-3.
Altoona went back ahead by three runs in the bottom of the seventh. Kelley and Cole Tucker started the inning with back-to-back walks off of reliever Zac Houston. Ke'Bryan Hayes singled home Kelley making it 5-3. Martin then laid down a sacrifice bunt, scoring Tucker for a 6-3 advantage.
The SeaWolves came roaring back in the top of the eighth with two outs. Dominic Ficociello kept the inning alive with a base hit off of Logan Sendelbach. Quintana followed with a two-run home run to left-center, his third of the year making it a 6-5 game. Lester then clubbed a solo blast to straight away center off of Jake Brentz, tying the game. It was the second home run of the season for Lester and the first time the SeaWolves would go back-to-back.
The game remained tied into the top of the 10th inning. Jacob Robson was the SeaWolves free runner on second and he advanced to third on a Sergio Alcantara fly out. Kenny Wilson singled home Robson for a 7-6 lead. Ficociello followed with a two-run home run to right, his first of the season, giving Erie a 9-6 lead.
John Schreiber worked a 1-2-3 bottom of the 10th inning, earning his third save of the season.
Mark Ecker (1-2) earned the win for the 'Wolves tossing a pair of scoreless innings. He allowed one hit with a no walks and a strikeout.
Bret Helton (1-2) took the loss for the Curve allowing three runs, two earned, on two hits in two innings.
The SeaWolves return home to UPMC Park on Friday, April 27 to take on Tim Tebow and the Binghamton Rumble Ponies at 6:05 p.m. Righty Spencer Turnbull (0-2, 5.54 ERA) takes the mound for Erie against RHP Mickey Jannis (1-0, 3.60 ERA).
The first 1,000 fans on Friday night will receive a SeaWolves fleece blanket courtesy of Pepsi. Fans can also enjoy Happy Hour in the Bud Light Beer Garden until first pitch. After the game, fans can get an autograph from C. Wolf and a SeaWolves player at the Team Store thanks to Plyler Entry Systems.
ERIE (7-11) 9-12-0
ALTOONA (9-8) 6-9-1
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 25, 2018
- Bats Erupt Before Roadtrip - Reading Fightin Phils
- Reading Bats too Much for RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Fisher Cats Fall Despite Another Impressive Night for Vlad Jr. - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Ponies Walk to Victory, 5-4 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Hartford Takes Rain-Shortened Contest, 3-0 in 6 Innings - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rain Not a Damper as Goats Storm to Shortened Sixth Straight Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- Curve Fall in Extras to SeaWolves - Altoona Curve
- Senators Homestand Preview - Harrisburg Senators
- Baysox Sink Squirrels; Sweep Two-Game Set - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 'Wolves Battle Back, Take Down Curve in Extras - Erie SeaWolves
- Akin Dominant as Baysox Top Richmond, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- Thunder Offense Stalls in Loss to Harrisburg - Trenton Thunder
- Senators Stop Skid with 4-2 Win in Series Finale - Harrisburg Senators
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (7-9) vs. Fisher Cats (12-5) - 6:35 Pm - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 25th at Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- MiLB.tv: A Service We Like but Want to Love - OSC Original by Paul Reeths
- Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Trenton - Game #18 - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.