Rain Not a Damper as Goats Storm to Shortened Sixth Straight Win
HARTFORD- Not even the rain could dampen the red-hot Hartford Yard Goats, who used perfect timing to win a rain-shortened 3-0 game over the Portland Sea Dogs Wednesday night at soggy Dunkin' Donuts Park. The Yard Goats concluded their first undefeated home stand (6-0) against back-to-back teams in franchise history with the victory. The Goats (10-9) won their sixth straight game, seventh straight at home and tenth in their last 13 contests.
Held to one hit through five innings by Sea Dogs right hander Mike Shawaryn, the Yard Goats broke the scoreless deadlock, as the rain grew steadier in the last of the sixth inning. Ryan Metzler started the inning with a single to center and moved all the way to third, when third baseman Josh Tobias was unable to catch a bloop bunt by Omar Carrizales. Wes Rogers followed with a run-scoring single to center. Garrett Hampson then attempted to advance both runners with a sacrifice bunt, but Shawaryn hit Hampson with the wet baseball, enabling Carrizzales to score the second run. When first baseman Josh Ockimey dropped a ground ball hit by Dom Nunez, Rogers scored the third run. That's when the skies opened with the heaviest downpour of the night, leading the umpires to call for the tarpaulin.
The game was played in a mist or steady rain from the first pitch, as Hartford's Jesus Tinoco and Shawaryn locked horns. Tinoco notched his team-leading third victory (3-1) with his longest outing of the season, six innings. He allowed three hits, walked one and struck out four. Shawaryn retired the first 12 batters, before Sam Hilliard reached him for a single to start the fifth. He struck out a season-high seven for Portland (6-12), losers of four straight.
Following a 45 minute rain delay, the umpires called the game, assuring the Yard Goats a spot in the team record books.
Following a day off on Thursday, the Yard Goats start a six-game road trip in Richmond, VA on Friday night with a 7:05 game against the Richmond Flying Squirrels at The Diamond. RHP Peter Lambert will pitch for the Goats against RHP Cory Taylor for the San Francisco Giants affiliate. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com.
WP- Jesus Tinoco (3-1) LP- Mike Shawaryn (1-2)
T- 1:34 A- 3,375
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 25, 2018
- Bats Erupt Before Roadtrip - Reading Fightin Phils
- Reading Bats too Much for RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Fisher Cats Fall Despite Another Impressive Night for Vlad Jr. - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Ponies Walk to Victory, 5-4 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Hartford Takes Rain-Shortened Contest, 3-0 in 6 Innings - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rain Not a Damper as Goats Storm to Shortened Sixth Straight Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- Curve Fall in Extras to SeaWolves - Altoona Curve
- Senators Homestand Preview - Harrisburg Senators
- Baysox Sink Squirrels; Sweep Two-Game Set - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 'Wolves Battle Back, Take Down Curve in Extras - Erie SeaWolves
- Akin Dominant as Baysox Top Richmond, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- Thunder Offense Stalls in Loss to Harrisburg - Trenton Thunder
- Senators Stop Skid with 4-2 Win in Series Finale - Harrisburg Senators
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (7-9) vs. Fisher Cats (12-5) - 6:35 Pm - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 25th at Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- MiLB.tv: A Service We Like but Want to Love - OSC Original by Paul Reeths
- Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Trenton - Game #18 - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Yard Goats to Host Winter FanFest at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Trick Or Treat this Sunday
- Yard Goats to Host Connecticut's Largest Halloween Trick Or Treat Community Event
- Hartford Yard Goats Recognized as Top Promotional Club in Eastern League in 2018
- Yard Goats Named 2018 Commitment to Charity Award Winner by Ballpark Digest