Akin Dominant as Baysox Top Richmond, 3-2
BOWIE, Md. - LHP Keegan Akin tossed six shutout innings and the Bowie Baysox (11-7) held on for a 3-2 win over the Richmond Flying Squirrels (12-7) on Wednesday morning at Prince George's Stadium in Bowie.
Akin (2-2) surrendered three hits to go along with two walks and five strikeouts over his six innings of work. RHP Ryan Meisinger (2.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 K) and LHP Paul Fry (1.0 IP, 2 K) combined to close things out for Bowie as Fry recorded his first save of the year.
Akin has allowed just one earned run over his last 12.0 IP and is 2-0 during that span.
Richmond led off the eighth with a solo shot from Ali Castillo to cut the lead to 3-2 and had the potential tying run at third with one out in the frame, but Meisinger was able to get Aramis Garcia to ground to short and Jerry Sands lined to center to end the threat.
The Baysox grabbed a run in the fourth as Austin Hays reached with a one-out double, took third on an infield single and scored on Aderlin Rodriguez's RBI fielder's choice.
Bowie extended the lead to 2-0 in the fifth with Cedric Mullins' solo shot off of Richmond starter Matt Gage. The home run was Mullins' team-leading fourth of the year.
Gage (0-2) gave up the two runs on six hits while walking one and fanning three in 6.0 IP.
Jonah Arenado put Richmond on the board in the top of the seventh and cut the lead in half with a solo home run.
The Baysox quickly answered back in the home half of the frame when Rodriguez led off with a single, went to second on a single, advanced to third on a sac bunt and scored on Erick Salcedo's sac fly to make it a 3-1 game for the time being.
Hays (2-4, 2B, R) and Mullins (2-3, 2B, HR, RBI, R) both had multi-hit games for manager Gary Kendall's squad.
The Baysox will enjoy an off day on Thursday before opening a three-game set with the Akron RubberDucks on Friday night at Canal Park in Akron. First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m. with RHP Hunter Harvey (0-0, 2.08) on the mound for Bowie against Akron RHP Shao-Ching Chiang (1-0, 1.76).
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 25, 2018
- Bats Erupt Before Roadtrip - Reading Fightin Phils
- Reading Bats too Much for RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Fisher Cats Fall Despite Another Impressive Night for Vlad Jr. - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Ponies Walk to Victory, 5-4 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Hartford Takes Rain-Shortened Contest, 3-0 in 6 Innings - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rain Not a Damper as Goats Storm to Shortened Sixth Straight Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- Curve Fall in Extras to SeaWolves - Altoona Curve
- Senators Homestand Preview - Harrisburg Senators
- Baysox Sink Squirrels; Sweep Two-Game Set - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 'Wolves Battle Back, Take Down Curve in Extras - Erie SeaWolves
- Akin Dominant as Baysox Top Richmond, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- Thunder Offense Stalls in Loss to Harrisburg - Trenton Thunder
- Senators Stop Skid with 4-2 Win in Series Finale - Harrisburg Senators
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (7-9) vs. Fisher Cats (12-5) - 6:35 Pm - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 25th at Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- MiLB.tv: A Service We Like but Want to Love - OSC Original by Paul Reeths
- Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Trenton - Game #18 - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.