Fisher Cats Fall Despite Another Impressive Night for Vlad Jr.
BINGHAMTON, NY - A three-hit, three RBI game for Vladimir Guerrero Jr. wasn't enough for the New Hampshire Fisher Cats (Blue Jays) Wednesday night in a 5-4 walk-off loss to the Binghamton Rumble Ponies (Mets) at NYSEG Stadium.
Vlad's third run batted in came in the ninth inning with the Fisher Cats trailing 4-3. After Pat Cantwell homered to start the frame and cut the deficit to one, Jonathan Davis followed with a one-out single and moved to third on a base hit by Bo Bichette. Guerrero Jr. plated Davis with a sacrifice fly to right field, tying the game 4-4.
Binghamton would win it on a walk-off walk in the bottom of the ninth. With the bases loaded and two outs, Zach Jackson's (L, 1-1) 3-2 pitch to Matt Oberste skipped in the dirt for ball four to force in the winning run.
Vlad Jr. - the top Blue Jays prospect according to MLB.com - tallied two run-scoring singles in the sixth and eighth innings, respectively, to power the offense as part of a three-knock night. Bichette and Cantwell also recorded multiple hits in the losing effort.
With the loss, the Fisher Cats drop their first series of the season after losing two of three to the Rumble Ponies. They still have the league's best record at 12-6.
After an off day on Thursday, New Hampshire returns home on Friday for the first of three with the Trenton Thunder (Yankees). A marquee pitching matchup will see RHP Sean Reid-Foley of New Hampshire take on Trenton's RHP Dillon Tate at Northeast Delta Dental Stadium in Manchester. Coverage begins at 6:15 p.m. and continues with first pitch at 6:35 p.m. on the WGIR Fisher Cats Radio Network.
Highlights of the upcoming homestand include 80s Hits Atlas Fireworks on April 28, Kids Run The Bases presented by the New Hampshire State Liquor Commission, Division of Enforcement on April 29, Tall Boy Tuesday featuring $5 Miller, Coors and Twisted Tea before first pitch on May 1 and Education Day presented by EnergyNorth Propane - featuring a special 10:35 a.m. start - on Wednesday, May 2. Get your tickets today by visiting nhfishercats.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 25, 2018
- Bats Erupt Before Roadtrip - Reading Fightin Phils
- Reading Bats too Much for RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Fisher Cats Fall Despite Another Impressive Night for Vlad Jr. - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Ponies Walk to Victory, 5-4 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Hartford Takes Rain-Shortened Contest, 3-0 in 6 Innings - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rain Not a Damper as Goats Storm to Shortened Sixth Straight Win - Hartford Yard Goats
- Curve Fall in Extras to SeaWolves - Altoona Curve
- Senators Homestand Preview - Harrisburg Senators
- Baysox Sink Squirrels; Sweep Two-Game Set - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 'Wolves Battle Back, Take Down Curve in Extras - Erie SeaWolves
- Akin Dominant as Baysox Top Richmond, 3-2 - Bowie Baysox
- Thunder Offense Stalls in Loss to Harrisburg - Trenton Thunder
- Senators Stop Skid with 4-2 Win in Series Finale - Harrisburg Senators
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (7-9) vs. Fisher Cats (12-5) - 6:35 Pm - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 25th at Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- MiLB.tv: A Service We Like but Want to Love - OSC Original by Paul Reeths
- Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Trenton - Game #18 - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Hampshire Fisher Cats Stories
- Fisher Cats to Host Trick-Or-Treat at the Ballpark October 27
- The Rivalry: Red Sox - Yankees Greats Highlight Granite State Baseball Dinner
- Fisher Cats Win Home Finale with Back-To-Back Homers and Terrific Pitching
- Fisher Cats - Thunder Game Postponed Due to Rain Wednesday
- Fisher Cats Outdueled by Thunder in 2-0 Loss Tuesday Night