Wings Rally to Beat Bisons 4-3
Jose Martinez hit a home run in the sixth inning, helping the Rochester Red Wings to a 4-3 comeback win over the Buffalo Bisons Monday night at Frontier Field. The victory moved the Wings into a second place tie with the Bisons.
The Thruway Series with Buffalo continues Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m.; it's another Fan 4-Pack Night with four tickets, hot dogs, drinks and a yearbook for $36 ($40 day of game), and fireworks follow the game. Complete promotion details below...
Tuesday featured a pitching rematch from August 12 in Buffalo, when Randy Wolf beat the Wings and Taylor Rogers getting the loss in a 6-5 Bisons victory.
Rogers allowing just a single over the first two innings, and in the bottom of the second the Wings took the lead. With two outs, Xavier Avery connected for a solo home run - his fifth homer in 21 games since joining the Red Wings.
Buffalo battled back in the top of the third with a lead-off single by Jonathon Diaz. After a throwing error and sacrifice bunt that put Bison runners on second and third with one out, Johnathon Berti pushed across Diaz with a ground out RBI to tie the score at 1-1. Rogers escaped further damage with an inning ending fly out.
The Wings' lefty continued to struggle in the top of the fourth. Buffalo hit back-to-back-to-back singles to load the bases with no outs. Rogers followed with a walk to Josh Thole that surrendered the lead, 2-1 Bisons. Buffalo tacked on another run via sacrifice fly that propelled the lead to 3-1. Rogers ended the rally with a ground out and swinging strikeout.
With two outs in the bottom of the fifth, Red Wing bats responded against the Buffalo ace. Eric Farris collected a base hit and James Beresford smacked a double to put runners at second and third. Reynaldo Rodriguez cleared the bases with a two-RBI base hit to tie the score at 3-3.
The offense continued in the bottom of the sixth for the Wings. After a lead-off fly out, Martinez crushed his fourth home run of the season to give Rochester a 4-3 lead. It was Martinez's first homer since July 5th at Lehigh Valley.
Rogers' night ended after 6 2/3 innings. He allowed 10 hits, three runs, two earned runs, one walk, three strikeouts. Rogers (9-10) threw 96 pitches, 65 for strikes. Cole Johnson entered the game to take over for the Wings' lefty, and caught Andy Burns looking at strike three.
Johnson got the first out of the eighth inning, then was relieved by Aaron Thompson. The Bisons picked up a single, but Thompson got a pair of flyball outs - one on a fine play by Martinez, reaching over the railing of the Bisons dugout to make a snag - to keep the 4-3 lead.
Wolf (9-2) was relieved by Aaron Lute after seven innings on the mound. Wolf allowed seven hits and four earned runs, striking out seven. He threw 101 pitches, 71 for strikes; the two homers allowed by Wolf Tuesday matched the total he had allowed all season so far. Wolf had not allowed a homer since June 23.
Michael Tonkin worked the ninth inning for the Red Wings. Facing the top of the order, Tonkin struck out two to set down the side and earn his 13th save.
NOTES: OF Byron Buxton has been named the Batavia Downs Gaming and Racetrack Player of the Week, and International League Batter of the Week. Click here to read the story... RHP Michael Tonkin has been added after being optioned from the Twins, and LHP David Hurlbut has been transferred to Double-A Chattanooga.
8/18 BUF 7:05pm LHP Logan Darnell (2-1, 3.93) vs. LHP Jeff Francis (5-1, 1.54)
8/19 BUF 1:35pm LHP Pat Dean (9-10, 3.10) vs. RHP Phillipe Aumont (3-5, 2.78)
8/21 @SWB 7:05pm RHP Jose Berrios (2-1, 3.93) vs. TBA
8/22 @SWB 7:05pm RHP Michael Bowden (9-3, 2.57) vs. TBA
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 17, 2015
- Toledo's Comeback Falls Short in Extra Innings - Toledo Mud Hens
- Alvarez Boosts Tides by Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Davidson Homers, Knights Fall 10-6 Monday - Charlotte Knights
- Buffalo Falls Short to vs. Red Wings, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- PawSox Open Homestand with 6-1 Win over Chiefs - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bulls Big Inning Drops Bats, 9-3 - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs Finally Fall to PawSox - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Rally to Beat Bisons 4-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- Blue Jays Promote All-Star Matt Hague - Buffalo Bisons
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Durham Bulls
- Blue Jays Recall Bisons' All-Star Matt Hague, Option Hutchison, Loup to Herd - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Reveal 2016 Schedule for All-Star Season at BB&T Ballpark - Charlotte Knights
- Pompey, Sanchez Star Wars Jersey Auction - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2016 Schedule and Game Times - Buffalo Bisons
- Buxton Named Batavia Downs Player of the Week - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Chris Jones Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Norfolk Tides
- Bulls Back for Five Games as Season Enters Home Stretch - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.