Chiefs Finally Fall to PawSox
Pawtucket, RI (August 17, 2015) - The Syracuse Chiefs dropped the series opener to the Pawtucket Red Sox, 6-1, Monday night at McCoy Stadium. The PawSox scored four runs in the sixth inning, three with two outs, to snap a ten-game losing skid to the Chiefs.
Pawtucket (48-76) started the scoring in the fourth inning off Paolo Espino. Carlos Rivero singled to lead off the inning, moved to second on a single, and advanced to third on a double-play groundout. Rivero scored on Sandy Leon's RBI single to give the PawSox a 1-0 lead.
The Red Sox opened the game up in the sixth. Rivero hit his first home run as a PawSox this year with one out to stretch the lead to 2-0. Then after a fly out, Chris Marrero singled to reach with two outs. Espino walked Leon, then walked Marco Hernandez on 11 pitches to load the bases. Syracuse went to the bullpen, and P.J. Walters walked Jemile Weeks to bring in the third PawSox run. Jonathan Roof followed with a two-run single to push the lead to 5-0.
Syracuse (54-70) got on the board in the seventh. Caleb Ramsey singled off PawSox reliever Jorge Marban. Two batters later, Emmanuel Burriss doubled to left field, scoring Ramsey to cut the lead to 5-1.
The PawSox answered the Chiefs run with one of their own in the bottom of the seventh. Quintin Berry walked and scored two batters later on Allen Craig's single to extend the lead back to five at 6-1.
Syracuse and Pawtucket return to McCoy Stadium for the second game of a three-game set Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. Richard Bleier is scheduled to start for the Chiefs opposite Shawn Haviland for the PawSox.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 17, 2015
- Toledo's Comeback Falls Short in Extra Innings - Toledo Mud Hens
- Alvarez Boosts Tides by Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Davidson Homers, Knights Fall 10-6 Monday - Charlotte Knights
- Buffalo Falls Short to vs. Red Wings, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- PawSox Open Homestand with 6-1 Win over Chiefs - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bulls Big Inning Drops Bats, 9-3 - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs Finally Fall to PawSox - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Rally to Beat Bisons 4-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- Blue Jays Promote All-Star Matt Hague - Buffalo Bisons
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Durham Bulls
- Blue Jays Recall Bisons' All-Star Matt Hague, Option Hutchison, Loup to Herd - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Reveal 2016 Schedule for All-Star Season at BB&T Ballpark - Charlotte Knights
- Pompey, Sanchez Star Wars Jersey Auction - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2016 Schedule and Game Times - Buffalo Bisons
- Buxton Named Batavia Downs Player of the Week - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Chris Jones Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Norfolk Tides
- Bulls Back for Five Games as Season Enters Home Stretch - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Mets Stories
- Syracuse Mets See Huge Jump in Attendance During the 2019 Season
- Syracuse Mets End Season with Heartbreaking 14-13 Loss to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders in One-Game Playoff
- Mets Beat Red Wings, 8-4, to Force One-Game Playoff for North Division Title
- Syracuse Keeps Playoff Hope Alive with 7-3 Win against Rochester
- Mets Lose to Red Wings, 5-3, on Saturday Night