Buffalo Falls Short to vs. Red Wings, 4-3
The lead changed three times over the course of the Monday night's series opener against the Red Wings game, but a late-inning home run by Rochester was what sealed Buffalo's fate at Frontier Field. The Red Wings scored three unanswered runs to rally past the Herd 4-3.
After a solo homer from Xavier Avery and a tying RBI ground out from Jon Berti, the Bisons took a one-run lead in the top of the third inning.
In the fourth inning, Buffalo would take advantage of a struggling Taylor Rogers. Following three straight lead-off singles and the bases loaded, Rochester walked Josh Thole. Jonathan Diaz would bring in another run with the help of a sacrifice fly to right, scoring Andy Burns and taking the 3-1 lead.
It didn't take long for the Red Wings to retaliate. In the bottom of the fifth, Rochester's James Beresfold hit an RBI double to left field to cut the deficit to one. Reynaldo Rodriguez would drive in another run for the Red Wings to tie the game. Jose Martinez sent a deep solo homerun over to left field to bring home the go-ahead run for Rochester.
Although Bisons' starter Randy Wolf earned his second loss of the season, the southpaw was impressive through seven innings of work. Wolf struck out seven batters before being relieved by Aaron Loup in the eighth. The veteran lefty is still tied for most wins with the Bisons this season (nine wins, Copeland).
The Bisons continue their road trip against Rochester on Tuesday at 7:05.
Prior to Monday's matchup, the Blue Jays announced that they would recall Matt Hague back to Toronto. With 161 hits on the season, #MattVP has six more hits than any other player in all of affiliated baseball, Major Leagues and minor leagues. Hague leads the International League with a .348 average (35 points higher than next closest)... Toronto also announced that they optioned RHP DREW HUTCHISON and LHP Aaron Loup to the Bisons... RHP Gregory Infante also was transferred to the Fisher Cats.
Images from this story
Buffalo Bisons Pitcher Randy Wolf
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 17, 2015
- Toledo's Comeback Falls Short in Extra Innings - Toledo Mud Hens
- Alvarez Boosts Tides by Tribe - Indianapolis Indians
- Davidson Homers, Knights Fall 10-6 Monday - Charlotte Knights
- Buffalo Falls Short to vs. Red Wings, 4-3 - Buffalo Bisons
- PawSox Open Homestand with 6-1 Win over Chiefs - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bulls Big Inning Drops Bats, 9-3 - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs Finally Fall to PawSox - Syracuse Mets
- Wings Rally to Beat Bisons 4-3 - Rochester Red Wings
- Blue Jays Promote All-Star Matt Hague - Buffalo Bisons
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Durham Bulls
- Blue Jays Recall Bisons' All-Star Matt Hague, Option Hutchison, Loup to Herd - Buffalo Bisons
- Knights Reveal 2016 Schedule for All-Star Season at BB&T Ballpark - Charlotte Knights
- Pompey, Sanchez Star Wars Jersey Auction - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2016 Schedule and Game Times - Buffalo Bisons
- Buxton Named Batavia Downs Player of the Week - Rochester Red Wings
- Bisons Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- International League Names Players of the Week - IL
- Chris Jones Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Norfolk Tides
- Bulls Back for Five Games as Season Enters Home Stretch - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.