Win Doesn't Save Impact
ORLANDO, Florida - The Montreal Impact won 1-0 against CD Olimpia in the return leg of the Concacaf Champions League quarterfinals, Tuesday night at Exploria Stadium, but was eliminated because of the away goals scored by the Honduran team in the combined score of 2-2. Amar Sejdic (57') was the only scorer for Montreal in the game.
MTL - Amar Sejdic 57'
MTL - Luis Binks 25'
MTL - Mustafa Kizza 42'
MTL - Romell Quioto 51'
MTL - Zachary Brault-Guillard 70'
CDO - Deybi Flores 74'
MTL - Gk-Clément Diop; D-Mustafa Kizza, Luis Binks, Rudy Camacho, Zachary Brault-Guillard; M-Amar Sejdic, Samuel Piette (Jean-Aniel Assi 83'), Victor Wanyama; F-Mason Toye (Anthony Jackson-Hamel 56'), Orji Okwonkwo, Romell Quioto
Subs not used: James Pantemis, Jonathan Sirois, Joel Waterman, Karifa Yao, Keesean Ferdinand, Nathan-Dylan Saliba, Rida Zouhir, Sean Rea, Tomas Giraldo
CDO - Gk-Edrick Menjivar; D-Elvin Oliva Casildo, Javier Arnaldo Portillo, Johnny Leveron, Maylor Nunez; M-Carlos Pineda, Deybi Flores, Edwin Rodriguez (Diego Reyes 84'), Marvin Bernardez (Josman Figueroa 58'); F-Jerry Bengtson (Eddie Hernandez 76'), Yustin Arboleda (Samuel Cordova 83')
Subs not used: Harold Fonseca, André Orellana, German Mejia, Jorge Alvarez, José Reyes, Matias Garrido, José Pinto, Michaell Chirinos
"We are obviously sad to be out. We beat a team that didn't lose in a very long time, but we didn't score the second goal. I'm proud of my team. We didn't train for two weeks, guys were missing, and we performed. They tried and they battled. When I arrived in Montreal, I said that this team was going to fight and try to play. And we did against everyone. We have to keep on doing that, but better."
"Moments like this you need to review the game and learn from. At the end of the day, the focus is on next season. Preparation is key. Tonight, we created chance after chance and we were in their half. At the end of the day, you can't say that we didn't leave it all there. It's a weird feeling because after the MLS playoffs we had the two weeks quarantine and one week to prepare for this game. Unfortunately, a few things didn't go our way. You can take an optimistic point of view and say that there's a good foundation to build on for 2021."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 15, 2020
- Win Doesn't Save Impact - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC Trades Jamal Miller to Montreal - Austin FC
- Austin FC Selects Young Players in 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- LAFC Faces Cruz Azul Tomorrow in SCCL Quarterfinals - Los Angeles FC
- Brady Scott Selected by Austin FC in 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - Nashville SC
- Jared Stroud Selected in MLS Expansion Draft - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Forward Danny Hoesen Selected in 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Acquires Centre Back Kamal Miller from Austin FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC Selects Defender Kamal Miller in 2020 Expansion Draft - Orlando City SC
- 2020 Year in Review: Top Community Moments - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Club America - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC, Kaiser Permanente, adidas and U.S. Soccer Foundation Prepare for Students Eventual Return to Schools with New Futsal Courts - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC to Select up to Five Players in MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride Named to Front Office Sports' Best Employers in Sports - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Raising $20,000 to Supply Holiday Relief Kits for Farmworker Families in Salinas - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Announces End of Year Awards in Club's 25th MLS Season - FC Dallas
- Charlotte Football Club Names Nick Kelly President - Charlotte FC
- Rapids Sign Club's Two-Time Defender of the Year Lalas Abubakar to New Contract - Colorado Rapids
- FC Cincinnati Hire Meg Ryan as Chief Marketing Officer - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Signs Four Players to Short-Term Agreements - Atlanta United FC
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl Canceled - FC Dallas
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Club de Foot Montreal Stories
- CF Montréal Tops HFX Wanderers FC 3-1
- CF Montréal Takes on the HFX Wanderers FC Wednesday Night in Halifax
- CF Montréal Announce Three Additions to the First Team Coaching Staff
- CF Montréal Take 2-0 Win over Chicago
- CF Montréal Faces Chicago Fire FC Sunday Afternoon at Stade Saputo