Earthquakes Raising $20,000 to Supply Holiday Relief Kits for Farmworker Families in Salinas
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes, with support from West Valley College men's soccer team, are raising $20,000 to supply holiday care kits for farmworker families in Salinas. The care kits will be handed out at 2 p.m. on Thursday in Salinas by the United Farm Workers and UFW Foundation. The Quakes Foundation, the charitable arm of the club, is funding the giveaway of the holiday care kits to an estimated 300 families at the UFW/UFWF's Central Coast Farm Worker Center, 118 East Gabilan St., Salinas 93901.
"We have been aware that the issues around food security are very complex, and that supporting our farm-working community is a critical component of tackling food insecurity," said Earthquakes director of community relations Rahul Devaskar. "Farmworkers are everyday heroes who are overlooked, especially during these unprecedented times. That's why this holiday season, with support from our team partners, the Quakes are proud to extend our philanthropic giving with the UFW Foundation by delivering care kits to farmworker families in need."
The recent order by the State of California makes a gathering with farmworkers and team staff members inadvisable, so the groups are opting for the Thursday distribution of packages, which contain cultural food products, sports equipment, winter clothing and debit gift cards. The Earthquakes are teaming up with three team sponsors-Arteagas, SoccerKraze , and LuxBus America-to make the effort happen.
"Farmworkers are being devastated by the COVID-19 pandemic as essential laborers on the frontlines keeping America fed," said UFW Foundation Executive Director Diana Tellefson Torres. "That is why we are grateful for the generous donation the San Jose Earthquakes are making to the UFW Foundation. This aid will help us continue to provide vital emergency relief assistance to farm-working communities who are suffering from economic and food insecurity."
"The Earthquakes' generosity could not be timelier as Salinas Valley farmworkers labor to supply the fresh fruits and vegetables Americans will enjoy on their holiday tables," added UFW President Teresa Romero. "What a tragic irony in this time of crisis that the people who produce this great abundance of food frequently don't have enough to feed their own families."
In efforts to assist 100 more families, the Quakes Foundation has created a GoFundMe page to raise an additional $10,000 by Dec. 17. Donations will help cover the cost of extra family care kits.
This campaign is another effort as part of Pledge74, the ongoing company-wide initiative to combat hunger in the South Bay. Pledge 74 has now raised over $230,000 and committed over 740 volunteer hours.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 15, 2020
- Win Doesn't Save Impact - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC Trades Jamal Miller to Montreal - Austin FC
- Austin FC Selects Young Players in 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- LAFC Faces Cruz Azul Tomorrow in SCCL Quarterfinals - Los Angeles FC
- Brady Scott Selected by Austin FC in 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - Nashville SC
- Jared Stroud Selected in MLS Expansion Draft - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Forward Danny Hoesen Selected in 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Acquires Centre Back Kamal Miller from Austin FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC Selects Defender Kamal Miller in 2020 Expansion Draft - Orlando City SC
- 2020 Year in Review: Top Community Moments - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Club America - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC, Kaiser Permanente, adidas and U.S. Soccer Foundation Prepare for Students Eventual Return to Schools with New Futsal Courts - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC to Select up to Five Players in MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride Named to Front Office Sports' Best Employers in Sports - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Raising $20,000 to Supply Holiday Relief Kits for Farmworker Families in Salinas - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Announces End of Year Awards in Club's 25th MLS Season - FC Dallas
- Charlotte Football Club Names Nick Kelly President - Charlotte FC
- Rapids Sign Club's Two-Time Defender of the Year Lalas Abubakar to New Contract - Colorado Rapids
- FC Cincinnati Hire Meg Ryan as Chief Marketing Officer - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Signs Four Players to Short-Term Agreements - Atlanta United FC
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl Canceled - FC Dallas
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Announce Local Broadcast Information for 2021 MLS Season
- Earthquakes Announce Wondo Way Street Name
- Earthquakes Announce Time Change for Match vs. D.C. United
- Earthquakes Partner with LAFC, LA Galaxy, Oakland Roots SC, and Sacramento Republic FC to Support California Farm Workers on Cesar Chavez Day
- Quakes Soccer Camps to Kick off this Summer