Austin FC Selects Young Players in 2020 MLS Expansion Draft
December 15, 2020 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Austin FC added four current players to its inaugural season roster in the 2020 MLS Expansion Draft on Tuesday night. The newest MLS club traded away its fifth and final pick once the trade window reopened following the event.
With the first pick in the 2020 MLS Expansion Draft, Austin FC selected San Jose Earthquakes forward Danny Hoesen, who has 23 career goals and 12 assists in his four MLS seasons.
Austin FC's second and third picks included a pair of young talents in 24-year-old New York Red Bulls midfielder Jared Stroud, who dished out three assists in his 21 games last season, and 21-year-old Nashville SC goalkeeper Brady Scott, a U.S. Youth International who won U-20 CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying in 2018, also earning Golden Glove as the best goalkeeper at the Concacaf U-20 Championship.
With the fourth pick in the 2020 MLS Expansion Draft, Austin FC added some experience by selecting LA Galaxy midfielder and U.S. international Joe Corona, who comes with Liga MX experience as an influential member of the Club Tijuana side that earned promotion into the Primera División during his tenure. With the Galaxy, Corona's 38 starts in 47 appearances have produced three assists and two goals.
Austin FC selected Orlando City SC defender Kamal Miller, who earned 23 starts in 28 career appearances over his two seasons. Miller was traded to the Montreal Impact once the trade window reopened in an exchange that sent Austin FC $225,000 in General Allocation Money and a first-round pick in MLS SuperDraft 2021 presented by adidas.
PLAYERS SELECTED IN 2020 MLS EXPANSION DRAFT
Draft Order Player
1 Danny Hoesen (San Jose Earthquakes)
2 Jared Stroud (New York Red Bulls)
3 Brady Scott (Nashville SC)
4 Joe Corona (LA Galaxy)
5 Kamal Miller (Orlando City SC)
*Traded to the Montreal Impact for $225,00 in General Allocation Money and a first-round pick (11th overall) in MLS SuperDraft 2021 presented by adidas.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 15, 2020
- Win Doesn't Save Impact - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC Trades Jamal Miller to Montreal - Austin FC
- Austin FC Selects Young Players in 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- LAFC Faces Cruz Azul Tomorrow in SCCL Quarterfinals - Los Angeles FC
- Brady Scott Selected by Austin FC in 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - Nashville SC
- Jared Stroud Selected in MLS Expansion Draft - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Forward Danny Hoesen Selected in 2020 MLS Expansion Draft - San Jose Earthquakes
- Impact Acquires Centre Back Kamal Miller from Austin FC - Club de Foot Montreal
- Austin FC Selects Defender Kamal Miller in 2020 Expansion Draft - Orlando City SC
- 2020 Year in Review: Top Community Moments - Colorado Rapids
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Club America - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC, Kaiser Permanente, adidas and U.S. Soccer Foundation Prepare for Students Eventual Return to Schools with New Futsal Courts - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC to Select up to Five Players in MLS Expansion Draft - MLS
- Orlando City SC, Orlando Pride Named to Front Office Sports' Best Employers in Sports - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Raising $20,000 to Supply Holiday Relief Kits for Farmworker Families in Salinas - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Announces End of Year Awards in Club's 25th MLS Season - FC Dallas
- Charlotte Football Club Names Nick Kelly President - Charlotte FC
- Rapids Sign Club's Two-Time Defender of the Year Lalas Abubakar to New Contract - Colorado Rapids
- FC Cincinnati Hire Meg Ryan as Chief Marketing Officer - FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Signs Four Players to Short-Term Agreements - Atlanta United FC
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe Frisco Bowl Canceled - FC Dallas
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.