Whitecaps FC Loan out Centre Back Brendan McDonough to USL Club Charlotte Independence
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC announced on Wednesday that the club has loaned centre back Brendan McDonough to United Soccer League Championship club Charlotte Independence. McDonough will be on loan for the duration of the 2019 USL schedule and will be eligible to rejoin Whitecaps FC following the current 2019 MLS season.
"This is a good opportunity for Brendan to continue his development and play close to home," said Whitecaps FC head coach Marc Dos Santos. "We'll track his progress closely."
McDonough, 22, was selected 35th overall in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft in January and signed an MLS contract in March. The 6-foot-2 defender made one start with the first-team, at FC Dallas on June 26, and was an unused substitute in four matches. As a member of the Whitecaps FC Development Squad, McDonough made seven starts and scored one goal, including international trips to face competition in England and South Korea.
Charlotte Independence currently sit in 11th place in the USL Championship Eastern Conference and visit Loudoun United this Friday.
TRANSACTION: Vancouver Whitecaps FC loan centre back Brendan McDonough for the remainder of 2019 to USL Championship club Charlotte Independence on August 7, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 7, 2019
- Picturesque Goal from Mason Toye Sends MNUFC to Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United to Face Atlanta United in U.S. Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Defeats Cavalry FC 2-1 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Toronto FC (2) - Ottawa Fury FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Sporting Trades Rowe to Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Acquires MF Kelyn Rowe from Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United Signs Midfielder Thomas Chacon as Young Designated Player - Minnesota United FC
- Forward Brian Rodriguez Joins LAFC as Young Designated Player - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Acquires $250,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo Acquire U.S. National Team FW Christian Ramirez from Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Acquires Ballou Tabla on Loan from FC Barcelona - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Acquires Midfielder Micheal Azira, 2020 Second-Round Draft Pick from the Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- Impact Acquires First Position in MLS Allocation Order from Chicago Fire - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls Add Southampton Winger Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Loan out Centre Back Brendan McDonough to USL Club Charlotte Independence - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Seattle's Lodeiro Reaches Double-Figure Assists in Landmark Third Straight Season: Week 23 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- FC Cincinnati, Levy Partner at West End Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Acquire Norwegian International Ola Kamara - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Acquire Allocation Money from D.C. United and Orlando City SC - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Acquires $200,000 in General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Acquire Emmanuel Boateng from the LA Galaxy - D.C. United
- Spanish Attacking Midfielder Bojan Krkic Joins the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Nashville SC Adds Midfielder Anibal Godoy to 2020 Major League Soccer Roster - Nashville SC
- Earthquakes Trade Anibal Godoy to Nashville SC, Acquire $650k in General Allocation Money - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC to Host Full Team Appearance at adidas Flagship Store in Midtown Manhattan - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Gaston Sauro to Liga MX Side Deportivo Toluca FC - Columbus Crew SC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Yordy Reyna's curler helps 'Caps battle past D.C. United
- Whitecaps FC to Hire Sporting Director; Global Search Underway
- Bair nets first MLS goal, but 'Caps fall in wild Cascadia battle
- Whitecaps FC Sign Canadian Forward Tosaint Ricketts
- Whitecaps FC Loan out Centre Back Brendan McDonough to USL Club Charlotte Independence