Real Salt Lake Acquires MF Kelyn Rowe from Sporting Kansas City
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake has acquired MF Kelyn Rowe in a trade with Sporting Kansas City ahead of the close of the secondary transfer window, the club announced today. In exchange for the eighth-year MLS veteran, RSL will send an international roster slot for 2019 and $75,000 in Targeted Allocation Money split between 2019 and 2020.
Sporting will retain $171,856 of Rowe's 2019 budget charge. Real Salt Lake will be responsible for the remaining $100,000 of his budget charge this season. He is scheduled to join the team in training on Monday.
"Kelyn adds experience and depth to our midfield and can play in several positions," RSL General Manager Craig Waibel said. "He is someone we have sought to acquire for some time and will certainly be a player that can press for time on the field. He is very experienced in our league and will be a great addition in the locker room."
Rowe, 27, has 29 goals and 42 assists in 220 MLS regular season matches. Originally drafted third overall by the New England Revolution in the 2012 MLS SuperDraft, he played seven seasons at Gillette Stadium before an off-season trade landed him with Sporting Kansas City prior to the 2019 season. After a solid rookie season in 2012, he had a breakthrough in 2013, notching seven goals and eight assists in 33 matches in his second MLS campaign. In a four-year stretch from 2013-2016, he totaled 24 goals and 26 assists in 126 matches, playing 33 matches in three of the four seasons. The versatile midfielder lead New England to the playoffs in three straight seasons from 2013-2015, reaching the MLS Cup Final in 2014.
"I'm excited for a new opportunity with Real Salt Lake," Rowe said. "The have an exciting group of players that have come together well this year and I'm looking forward to what I can contribute."
In addition to his time in MLS, he also earned four caps for the U.S. National Team in 2017, scoring his first goal in a friendly with Nicaragua on July 15, 2017.
A native of Federal Way, Wash., Rowe played two years at UCLA before embarking on his professional career. Off the field, Rowe has been an active member of the community in New England and Kansas City, earning the Revolution's Humanitarian of the Year award four years running from 2014-2017. Rowe's primary philanthropic work came through the Jessie Rees Foundation - an organization that helps children with cancer - by hosting his own initiative, "Kelyn's NEGU Crew" (Never, Ever Give Up) at every Revolution home match, giving each child a memorable experience as they continue to fight cancer.
Rowe joins a Real Salt Lake side currently sixth in the Western Conference at 10-9-4 (34 points). RSL plays against Rowe's former team, Sporting Kansas City, on Saturday at Children's Mercy Park with kickoff scheduled for 6:30 p.m. MT.
TRANSACTION: Real Salt Lake acquires midfielder Kelyn Rowe from Sporting Kansas City in exchange for an International Roster Slot in 2019 and $75,000 in Targeted Allocation Money split between 2019 and 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 7, 2019
- Picturesque Goal from Mason Toye Sends MNUFC to Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United to Face Atlanta United in U.S. Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Defeats Cavalry FC 2-1 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Toronto FC (2) - Ottawa Fury FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Sporting Trades Rowe to Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Acquires MF Kelyn Rowe from Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United Signs Midfielder Thomas Chacon as Young Designated Player - Minnesota United FC
- Forward Brian Rodriguez Joins LAFC as Young Designated Player - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Acquires $250,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo Acquire U.S. National Team FW Christian Ramirez from Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Acquires Ballou Tabla on Loan from FC Barcelona - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Acquires Midfielder Micheal Azira, 2020 Second-Round Draft Pick from the Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- Impact Acquires First Position in MLS Allocation Order from Chicago Fire - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls Add Southampton Winger Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Loan out Centre Back Brendan McDonough to USL Club Charlotte Independence - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Seattle's Lodeiro Reaches Double-Figure Assists in Landmark Third Straight Season: Week 23 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- FC Cincinnati, Levy Partner at West End Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Acquire Norwegian International Ola Kamara - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Acquire Allocation Money from D.C. United and Orlando City SC - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Acquires $200,000 in General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Acquire Emmanuel Boateng from the LA Galaxy - D.C. United
- Spanish Attacking Midfielder Bojan Krkic Joins the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Nashville SC Adds Midfielder Anibal Godoy to 2020 Major League Soccer Roster - Nashville SC
- Earthquakes Trade Anibal Godoy to Nashville SC, Acquire $650k in General Allocation Money - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC to Host Full Team Appearance at adidas Flagship Store in Midtown Manhattan - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Gaston Sauro to Liga MX Side Deportivo Toluca FC - Columbus Crew SC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-0 against League Leaders LAFC
- Real Salt Lake Hosts League-Leading Los Angeles FC Saturday in Sandy
- Real Salt Lake Dismantles Seattle Sounders FC 3-0
- Real Salt Lake Opens Three-Match Home Stand Wednesday against Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Terminates Contract of Head Coach Mike Petke