Chicago Fire Acquires Midfielder Micheal Azira, 2020 Second-Round Draft Pick from the Montreal Impact
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced today that it has acquired midfielder Micheal Azira and a second-round draft pick in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft from the Montreal Impact. In exchange, the Fire traded defender Jorge Corrales to the Impact. Additionally, the Fire obtained the No. 6 spot in the MLS Allocation Ranking Order from Montreal in exchange for the No. 1 allocation spot. Should the Impact select a player with the No. 1 allocation spot, the Fire will receive an additional $75,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money (GAM) if that player is on an MLS roster for the 2020 season.
Azira is under contract with the Fire through the 2019 season with a Club option for the 2020 season.
"While it is difficult to part with Jorge, who has defended the Club's honor with all his might, acquiring Micheal provides us with more balance and options as we make our push for the playoffs," said Chicago Fire Soccer Club President and General Manager Nelson Rodr?guez.
Azira, an experienced defensive midfielder, has spent the past six seasons playing in MLS, compiling 120 league appearances (97 starts) with Seattle Sounders FC, Colorado Rapids and Montreal Impact. He has also made eight appearances in the MLS Cup Playoffs, starting in three of those matches. At the international level, Azira has earned 10 caps (eight starts) for the Uganda National Team, including six appearances in the Africa Cup of Nations (2017, 2019).
Azira, 31, originally began his professional career in the USL Championship with the Charleston Battery in 2012, spending two seasons with the club, before signing with Seattle Sounders FC in 2013. In three seasons with Sounders FC, Azira made 25 first team appearances (14 starts), helping the club win its fourth Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup trophy in 2014.
Following a move to the Rapids ahead of the 2016 season, Azira made 61 appearances in his first two seasons with Colorado. In 2016, he made a career high 31 appearances (28 starts) and helped lead the club to the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference, marking Colorado's best regular season finish since 2010. Joining the Impact midway through the 2018 season, Azira made 29 appearances (24 starts) across two seasons for the Canadian club.
Azira holds a U.S. Green Card and will not occupy an international spot on the Fire's roster.
Transaction: The Chicago Fire acquires midfielder Micheal Azira and a second-round draft pick in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft from the Montreal Impact in exchange for defender Jorge Corrales. Additionally, the Fire obtains the No. 6 spot in the MLS Allocation Ranking Order from Montreal in exchange for the No. 1 spot. Should the Impact select a player with the No. 1 allocation spot, the Fire will receive an additional $75,000 in 2020 General Allocation Money (GAM) if that player is on an MLS roster for the 2020 season.
Name: Micheal Azira
Weight: 160 lbs.
Date of Birth: Aug. 22, 1987
Birthplace: Kampala, Uganda
Last Club: Montreal Impact
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 7, 2019
- Picturesque Goal from Mason Toye Sends MNUFC to Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United to Face Atlanta United in U.S. Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Defeats Cavalry FC 2-1 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Toronto FC (2) - Ottawa Fury FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Sporting Trades Rowe to Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Acquires MF Kelyn Rowe from Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United Signs Midfielder Thomas Chacon as Young Designated Player - Minnesota United FC
- Forward Brian Rodriguez Joins LAFC as Young Designated Player - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Acquires $250,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo Acquire U.S. National Team FW Christian Ramirez from Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Acquires Ballou Tabla on Loan from FC Barcelona - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Acquires Midfielder Micheal Azira, 2020 Second-Round Draft Pick from the Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- Impact Acquires First Position in MLS Allocation Order from Chicago Fire - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls Add Southampton Winger Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Loan out Centre Back Brendan McDonough to USL Club Charlotte Independence - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Seattle's Lodeiro Reaches Double-Figure Assists in Landmark Third Straight Season: Week 23 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- FC Cincinnati, Levy Partner at West End Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Acquire Norwegian International Ola Kamara - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Acquire Allocation Money from D.C. United and Orlando City SC - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Acquires $200,000 in General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Acquire Emmanuel Boateng from the LA Galaxy - D.C. United
- Spanish Attacking Midfielder Bojan Krkic Joins the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Nashville SC Adds Midfielder Anibal Godoy to 2020 Major League Soccer Roster - Nashville SC
- Earthquakes Trade Anibal Godoy to Nashville SC, Acquire $650k in General Allocation Money - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC to Host Full Team Appearance at adidas Flagship Store in Midtown Manhattan - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Gaston Sauro to Liga MX Side Deportivo Toluca FC - Columbus Crew SC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Fire Stories
- Chicago Fire FC Expand Spanish-Language Content Offering, Launch @VamosFire on Twitter
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Argentine Midfielder Gaston Gimenez as Designated Player
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: February 24 Ã¢ÂÂ March 1
- 2020 Single-Match Tickets Now on Sale for All Chicago Fire FC Matches at Soldier Field
- 3-2-1 ... Hidden Chicago Fire FC Season Tickets & Merchandise Waiting to be "Un-LockedÃ¢ÂÂ Across the City