Columbus Crew SC Transfers Gaston Sauro to Liga MX Side Deportivo Toluca FC
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced that it has transferred defender Gaston Sauro to Deportivo Toluca FC of Mexico's Liga MX. Sauro, 29, departs Crew SC after five seasons in Black & Gold in which he made 39 regular-season appearances (37 starts).
"We would like to thank Gaston for his professionalism and commitment to Columbus Crew SC during his time with the Club," said Crew SC President and General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "Gaston was an inspiration to his teammates with his perseverance in overcoming an injury to play soccer again. We want to wish him all the best in this next stage of his career."
Sauro joined Crew SC from FC Basel of Switzerland's First Division on August 6, 2015. The defender made four regular-season appearances (all starts) in 2015, his debut season. Sauro also made four playoffs appearances that year, helping the Crew win the 2015 Eastern Conference Championship, as well as reach the 2015 MLS Cup. In 2016, Sauro made 13 regular-season appearances (12 starts), before suffering a left knee injury which forced him to undergo surgery and miss the entire 2017 season.
The Argentine defender returned to action during a 2018 road match against Sporting Kansas City (May 27), his first appearance since October 1, 2016. Sauro went on to make seven regular-season appearances (six starts) and two playoffs appearances (both starts) in 2018. In 2019, Sauro made 15 regular-season appearances (all starts) for the Black & Gold, scoring two goals - an equalizer against the New York Red Bulls (March 2) and a game-winning goal against FC Dallas (March 16).
A 10-year veteran, Sauro played for Boca Juniors from 2009-2012, before joining FC Basel of the Swiss Super League. The defender played for FC Basel from 2012-2015, helping Basel win back-to-back league titles (2012-2013, 2013-2014). Sauro spent the 2014-2015 season on loan with Calcio Catania of Italy's Serie B.
Up next, Crew SC hosts FC Cincinnati in a home match at MAPFRE Stadium on Saturday, August 10 [7:30 p.m. ET / FOX Sports Ohio, FOX Sports GO (Stream) / 97.1 The Fan & 971TheFan.com (English); ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)].
TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew SC transfers defender Gaston Sauro to Deportivo Toluca FC of Mexico's Liga MX on August 7, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 7, 2019
- Picturesque Goal from Mason Toye Sends MNUFC to Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United to Face Atlanta United in U.S. Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Defeats Cavalry FC 2-1 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Toronto FC (2) - Ottawa Fury FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Sporting Trades Rowe to Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Acquires MF Kelyn Rowe from Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United Signs Midfielder Thomas Chacon as Young Designated Player - Minnesota United FC
- Forward Brian Rodriguez Joins LAFC as Young Designated Player - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Acquires $250,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo Acquire U.S. National Team FW Christian Ramirez from Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Acquires Ballou Tabla on Loan from FC Barcelona - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Acquires Midfielder Micheal Azira, 2020 Second-Round Draft Pick from the Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- Impact Acquires First Position in MLS Allocation Order from Chicago Fire - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls Add Southampton Winger Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Loan out Centre Back Brendan McDonough to USL Club Charlotte Independence - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Seattle's Lodeiro Reaches Double-Figure Assists in Landmark Third Straight Season: Week 23 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- FC Cincinnati, Levy Partner at West End Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Acquire Norwegian International Ola Kamara - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Acquire Allocation Money from D.C. United and Orlando City SC - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Acquires $200,000 in General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Acquire Emmanuel Boateng from the LA Galaxy - D.C. United
- Spanish Attacking Midfielder Bojan Krkic Joins the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Nashville SC Adds Midfielder Anibal Godoy to 2020 Major League Soccer Roster - Nashville SC
- Earthquakes Trade Anibal Godoy to Nashville SC, Acquire $650k in General Allocation Money - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC to Host Full Team Appearance at adidas Flagship Store in Midtown Manhattan - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Gaston Sauro to Liga MX Side Deportivo Toluca FC - Columbus Crew SC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts Toronto FC at Mapfre Stadium Tomorrow
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Returns to Mapfre Stadium Tonight to Host FC Cincinnati
- 2020 Columbus Crew SC Season Ticket Memberships on Sale Now
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Allocation Money in Trade with the Houston Dynamo
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Allocation Money Via Trade with D.C. United