Forward Brian Rodriguez Joins LAFC as Young Designated Player
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today that the Club has agreed to terms with forward Brian Rodriguez as a Young Designated Player. Rodriquez arrives from Club Atlético Peñarol of Uruguay's Primera División and will be added to LAFC's roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P1 Visa.
"Brian is an exciting and dynamic player who is one of the top talents in South America," LAFC EVP & General Manager John Thorrington said. "Acquiring a player of Brian's quality in this window is another powerful statement from LAFC about our commitment to winning and building a Club that excites our supporters."
The 19-year-old forward joins LAFC after spending his professional career coming up the ranks of Uruguayan giants Peñarol. This season, Rodriguez tallied one goal and four assists in nine league contests. He also started five of the six group stage matches he appeared in during the 2019 Copa Libertadores, registering three assists in 439 minutes.
In addition to acquiring Rodriguez, LAFC and Peñarol have entered into a significant partnership that includes an exhibition match between the teams in 2020, and an exchange of coaching, academy and player resources.
"We're very excited to bring Brian to LAFC," said LAFC head coach, Bob Bradley. "He is an exciting player that will fit in with our style of football, and we can't wait to work with him."
Last year, the Uruguayan international saw action in two league matches, including his first team league debut on March 28, 2018. Rodriguez also played in four games during the Torneo Intermedio, notching one goal in 124 minutes. In all, Rodriguez would register three goals and nine assists in 26 matches across all competitions for Peñarol.
Internationally, Rodriguez most recently represented Uruguay at the U-20 FIFA World Cup this past summer in Poland, starting three of the team's four matches. He scored and assisted during Uruguay's 3-1 win over Norway in the first group match, before adding his second of the tournament during the 2-0 victory over New Zealand.
Rodriguez made his international debut for the U-17 side during an international friendly against France on October 9, 2018. He would make another appearance for the U-17s during the 2017 South American Championship before joining the U-20 side in 2018. Overall, Rodriguez has scored six goals in 19 international matches.
TRANSACTION: Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) agrees to terms with 19-year-old forward Brian Rodriguez to a Young Designated Player contract.
Full Name: Paul Brian Rodríguez Bravo
Weight: 150 lbs.
Birthplace: Tranqueras, Uruguay
Last Club: Club Atlético Peñarol
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 7, 2019
- Picturesque Goal from Mason Toye Sends MNUFC to Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United to Face Atlanta United in U.S. Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Defeats Cavalry FC 2-1 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Toronto FC (2) - Ottawa Fury FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Sporting Trades Rowe to Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Acquires MF Kelyn Rowe from Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United Signs Midfielder Thomas Chacon as Young Designated Player - Minnesota United FC
- Forward Brian Rodriguez Joins LAFC as Young Designated Player - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Acquires $250,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo Acquire U.S. National Team FW Christian Ramirez from Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Acquires Ballou Tabla on Loan from FC Barcelona - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Acquires Midfielder Micheal Azira, 2020 Second-Round Draft Pick from the Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- Impact Acquires First Position in MLS Allocation Order from Chicago Fire - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls Add Southampton Winger Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Loan out Centre Back Brendan McDonough to USL Club Charlotte Independence - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Seattle's Lodeiro Reaches Double-Figure Assists in Landmark Third Straight Season: Week 23 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- FC Cincinnati, Levy Partner at West End Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Acquire Norwegian International Ola Kamara - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Acquire Allocation Money from D.C. United and Orlando City SC - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Acquires $200,000 in General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Acquire Emmanuel Boateng from the LA Galaxy - D.C. United
- Spanish Attacking Midfielder Bojan Krkic Joins the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Nashville SC Adds Midfielder Anibal Godoy to 2020 Major League Soccer Roster - Nashville SC
- Earthquakes Trade Anibal Godoy to Nashville SC, Acquire $650k in General Allocation Money - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC to Host Full Team Appearance at adidas Flagship Store in Midtown Manhattan - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Gaston Sauro to Liga MX Side Deportivo Toluca FC - Columbus Crew SC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Back for Season 3
- LAFC, Estrella Media Announce Spanish-Language Broadcast TV Partnership
- LAFC Falls to Club Leon in Round of 16 of Concacaf Champions League
- LAFC Signs Two-Time Golden Boot Winner Bradley Wright-Phillips
- LAFC Acquires up to $1.25 Million in Allocation Money from Nashville SC in Exchange for Walker Zimmerman