D.C. United Acquire Emmanuel Boateng from the LA Galaxy
WASHINGTON - D.C. United have acquired LA Galaxy midfielder Emmanuel Boateng in exchange for $250,000 in Targeted Allocation Money. Boateng has a Green Card and will not occupy an International Roster Spot for the Black-and-Red.
"Adding Emmanuel gives us another dynamic option from wide areas," Dave Kasper, D.C. United General Manager and VP of Soccer Operations, said. "His ability to stretch the field and get behind the opponent's defensive line will give us an additional attacking threat as we enter the final stages of the regular season."
Boateng joins the Black-and-Red after spending the previous four seasons with the LA Galaxy in MLS. In 2019, Boateng has scored one goal and recorded one assist in 21 appearances (seven starts, 879 minutes). His goal came in a 2-0 win against FC Cincinnati on June 22, 2019 at Nippert Stadium.
During the 25-year-old's four years in Los Angeles, he has scored nine goals and 11 assists in 108 appearances. In 2016, Boateng appeared in both playoff matches for the Galaxy and scored two goals during that stretch. The Ghana-native had his most productive season for the Galaxy in 2018, scoring four goals, recording two assists and playing 2,321 minutes.
Boateng is a product of the Right to Dream Academy in Ghana and moved to the United States to play for the University of California, Santa Barbara, in NCAA Division I. In his first season in collegiate soccer in 2012, he appeared in 18 games, scoring four goals and recording four assists. He signed his first professional soccer contract in 2013 with USL League Two side, the Ventura County Fusion. He made five appearances before departing to Sweden to play for Swedish Allsvenskan side Helsingborgs IF. He played three seasons with the Swedish side (2013-2016), making 37 appearances before being acquired by the LA Galaxy on Jan. 14, 2016.
Player: Emmanuel Boateng
Birthplace: Accra, Ghana
Previous Club: LA Galaxy
Status: Domestic (Green Card)
Transaction: D.C. United acquired midfielder-forward Emmanuel Boateng from the LA Galaxy in exchange for $250,000 in TAM
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 7, 2019
- Picturesque Goal from Mason Toye Sends MNUFC to Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United to Face Atlanta United in U.S. Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Defeats Cavalry FC 2-1 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Toronto FC (2) - Ottawa Fury FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Sporting Trades Rowe to Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Acquires MF Kelyn Rowe from Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United Signs Midfielder Thomas Chacon as Young Designated Player - Minnesota United FC
- Forward Brian Rodriguez Joins LAFC as Young Designated Player - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Acquires $250,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo Acquire U.S. National Team FW Christian Ramirez from Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Acquires Ballou Tabla on Loan from FC Barcelona - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Acquires Midfielder Micheal Azira, 2020 Second-Round Draft Pick from the Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- Impact Acquires First Position in MLS Allocation Order from Chicago Fire - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls Add Southampton Winger Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Loan out Centre Back Brendan McDonough to USL Club Charlotte Independence - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Seattle's Lodeiro Reaches Double-Figure Assists in Landmark Third Straight Season: Week 23 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- FC Cincinnati, Levy Partner at West End Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Acquire Norwegian International Ola Kamara - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Acquire Allocation Money from D.C. United and Orlando City SC - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Acquires $200,000 in General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Acquire Emmanuel Boateng from the LA Galaxy - D.C. United
- Spanish Attacking Midfielder Bojan Krkic Joins the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Nashville SC Adds Midfielder Anibal Godoy to 2020 Major League Soccer Roster - Nashville SC
- Earthquakes Trade Anibal Godoy to Nashville SC, Acquire $650k in General Allocation Money - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC to Host Full Team Appearance at adidas Flagship Store in Midtown Manhattan - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Gaston Sauro to Liga MX Side Deportivo Toluca FC - Columbus Crew SC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent D.C. United Stories
- Audi Field to Host U.S. Men's National Team in Inaugural Match in CONCACAF Nations League on October 11 against Cuba
- D.C. United Fall to Vancouver at BC Place, 1-0
- Post-Match Facts | D.C. United V. LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Announce Audi Field Sellout against LA Galaxy on August 11
- D.C. United Acquire $50,000 in TAM from Columbus Crew SC