Earthquakes Trade Anibal Godoy to Nashville SC, Acquire $650k in General Allocation Money
SAN JOSE, Calif. - The San Jose Earthquakes announced today that the club will acquire $650,000 of General Allocation Money (GAM) from Nashville SC in exchange for midfielder Anibal Godoy, effective Jan. 1, 2020. Godoy will remain with the Earthquakes through the 2019 season before joining Nashville SC ahead of their inaugural Major League Soccer campaign next year.
"While Godoy's trade value represents a new benchmark for our club, more importantly it underlines how we want to manage our roster in a proactive manner in the years to come with a succession plan in place ahead of all transactions," said Earthquakes general manager Jesse Fioranelli. "Anibal has been a great leader for us on and off the field and we wanted to ensure that the club and the player could seek a win-win situation while not negatively affecting the locker room. This deal was also made possible because we have worked hard to build a deeper roster that is filled with confidence and optimism. Much of the credit for that has to go to Matias and his coaching staff for their efforts this year. I'd also like to say thank you to Nashville SC's general manager Mike Jacobs for his professionalism during this process."
Godoy, 29, has made 99 MLS appearances for San Jose since joining in the summer of 2015, including 13 appearances this season. He has tallied five goals, four game-winning goals, and seven assists in his MLS career.
"I would like to thank the Earthquakes organization for helping me secure my future beyond 2019 and Nashville SC for believing in me as a player," said Godoy. "I'm excited for my future with Nashville SC and helping the club make an immediate impact in MLS. Right now, I am very focused on achieving success with my teammates in San Jose this season."
Transaction: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS) - Earthquakes trade M Anibal Godoy to Nashville SC (USL-C) in exchange for $650k in GAM, effective Jan. 1, 2020.
Images from this story
San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Anibal Godoy
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 7, 2019
- Picturesque Goal from Mason Toye Sends MNUFC to Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Minnesota United to Face Atlanta United in U.S. Open Cup Final - Minnesota United FC
- Impact Defeats Cavalry FC 2-1 at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Toronto FC (2) - Ottawa Fury FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Sporting Trades Rowe to Real Salt Lake - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Acquires MF Kelyn Rowe from Sporting Kansas City - Real Salt Lake
- Minnesota United Signs Midfielder Thomas Chacon as Young Designated Player - Minnesota United FC
- Forward Brian Rodriguez Joins LAFC as Young Designated Player - Los Angeles FC
- LAFC Acquires $250,000 in Allocation Money from Houston Dynamo - Los Angeles FC
- Houston Dynamo Acquire U.S. National Team FW Christian Ramirez from Los Angeles FC - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Acquires Ballou Tabla on Loan from FC Barcelona - Montreal Impact
- Chicago Fire Acquires Midfielder Micheal Azira, 2020 Second-Round Draft Pick from the Montreal Impact - Chicago Fire
- Impact Acquires First Position in MLS Allocation Order from Chicago Fire - Montreal Impact
- New York Red Bulls Add Southampton Winger Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Whitecaps FC Loan out Centre Back Brendan McDonough to USL Club Charlotte Independence - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Seattle's Lodeiro Reaches Double-Figure Assists in Landmark Third Straight Season: Week 23 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- FC Cincinnati, Levy Partner at West End Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- D.C. United Acquire Norwegian International Ola Kamara - D.C. United
- LA Galaxy Acquire Allocation Money from D.C. United and Orlando City SC - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City SC Acquires $200,000 in General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- D.C. United Acquire Emmanuel Boateng from the LA Galaxy - D.C. United
- Spanish Attacking Midfielder Bojan Krkic Joins the Impact - Montreal Impact
- Nashville SC Adds Midfielder Anibal Godoy to 2020 Major League Soccer Roster - Nashville SC
- Earthquakes Trade Anibal Godoy to Nashville SC, Acquire $650k in General Allocation Money - San Jose Earthquakes
- New York City FC to Host Full Team Appearance at adidas Flagship Store in Midtown Manhattan - New York City FC
- Columbus Crew SC Transfers Gaston Sauro to Liga MX Side Deportivo Toluca FC - Columbus Crew SC
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.