Warriors Edge Hitmen 2-1
February 5, 2023 - Western Hockey League (WHL) - Calgary Hitmen News Release
Calgary, AB - The Calgary Hitmen closed a run of five straight games at home with a 2-1 loss to the Moose Jaw Warriors on Sunday afternoon at Scotiabank Saddledome.
After a scoreless first period, the Hitmen jumped out to a 1-0 lead on defenceman Grayden Siepmann's ninth goal of the season. The advantage was short lived however as the Warriors answered 41 seconds later on a tally from Ryder Korczak to draw even.
The game stayed tied until the late stages of the third period when Atley Calvert tucked in rebound shot with 3:43 remaining to give the Warriors a lead they would not relinquish.
Both goaltenders took centre stage on this day as Connor Ungar made 35 saves for Moose Jaw while Brayden Peters turned aside 23 shots in the Hitmen net.
The Hitmen will now play their next five games on the road beginning with a three-game East Division trip that opens with a doubleheader in Winnipeg featuring games against the ICE on Wednesday, Feb 8 and Thursday, Feb. 9. The journey wraps up in Brandon on Saturday, Feb. 11. It is then off to Lethbridge (Feb. 15) and Edmonton (Feb. 18) before Calgary's next home game on Sunday, Feb. 19 against the Kamloops Blazers at Seven Chiefs Sportsplex. Game time is 2:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2023
- Thunderbirds Fire Past Spokane - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chiefs Drop Seventh Straight, Fall 3-1 to Seattle - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals Lose Close One to Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Giants Back in the Win Column Sunday - Vancouver Giants
- Pats Fall to Tigers 5-1 on Sunday Afternoon - Regina Pats
- Sold Out Crowd Treated To Tigers 5-1 Victory Over Regina - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Silvertips Best Rebels 4-2, Cap off Five-Point Weekend - Everett Silvertips
- Blades Score Four-Unanswered Completing Comeback vs Wheat Kings - Saskatoon Blades
- Blades Comeback to Double up Wheat Kings Sunday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calvert Scores Late to Lift Warriors Past Hitmen on Sunday - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Warriors Edge Hitmen 2-1 - Calgary Hitmen
- Dylan Guenther Assigned to Seattle Thunderbirds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Americans to Wrap up Three-In-Three Weekend in Vancouver - Tri-City Americans
- Winterhawks Clinch Postseason Berth for 12th Consecutive Season - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Day Preview February 5 vs Regina - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Warriors Aim to End Road Trip on High Note in Calgary - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Pats Wrap up Road Trip in Medicine Hat - Regina Pats
- Cowan's Heroics, 45 Saves Not Enough as Chiefs Lose Heartbreaking Shootout to Rebels - Spokane Chiefs
- Rockets Blank Raiders, 4-0 - Kelowna Rockets
- Wheat Kings & Blades Prepare for Sunday Clash - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Melt WHL's Top ICE in Front of Berserk SaskTel Centre - Saskatoon Blades
- Thunderbirds Blanked by Bears - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Winterhawks Clinch 12th Consecutive WHL Playoff Berth - Portland Winterhawks
- Mirwald Stands Tall But Giants Fall to Blazers 4-2 - Vancouver Giants
- Portland Is Playoff Bound After 4-1 Win Over Tri-City - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals' Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Raiders Shut Out By Rockets 4-0 To End Bc Road Trip - Prince Albert Raiders
- Saskatoon Slips Past ICE - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.