Portland Is Playoff Bound After 4-1 Win Over Tri-City
February 5, 2023 - Western Hockey League (WHL) - Portland Winterhawks News Release
The Winterhawks returned to winning ways with a 4-1 victory over the Americans, sealing their place in the 2023 WHL Playoffs later this spring.
Game #48: Portland (4) vs Tri-City (1)
SOG: POR (43) - TC (26)
PP: POR (0/2) - TC (0/3)
Saves: Giannuzzi (25/26) - Avakyan (39/43)
COMPLETE BOX SCORE
POR - 5:11 - Second Period - Marcus Nguyen (15) from Kyle Chyzowski and Gabe Klassen
TC - 8:57 - Second Period - Adam Mechura (16)
POR - 13:30 - Second Period - Gabe Klassen (28) from Kyle Chyzowski and Ryder Thompson
POR - 17:26 - Second Period - Aidan Litke (12) from Luca Cagnoni and Ryder Thompson
POR - 3:57 - Third Period - Diego Buttazzoni (4) from Nick Johnson and Luke Schelter
A scoreless first period gave way to three second-period strikes for the home team as the Winterhawks (35-10-2-1) knocked off the Tri-City Americans (25-17-4-1) 4-1 on Saturday night. Dante Giannuzzi finished with 25 saves to pick up the win for the hosts.
With the win, Portland officially clinches a berth in the 2023 WHL Playoffs. The Winterhawks have qualified for the postseason in 12 consecutive campaigns.
As he did last night, Marcus Nguyen got the Winterhawks on the board first, albeit a period later tonight. After sustaining some pressure in the offensive zone with Kyle Chyzowski and Gabe Klassen, Nguyen collected a loose puck at the blue line and fired a shot off the blocker of Nick Avakyan which deflected up and over the Americans' netminder and into the net for a Portland lead at 5:11 of the period.
Three minutes later, Adam Mechura got Tri-City on the board on a shorthanded breakaway, but the Winterhawks responded with a pair of tallies before the end of the frame. Klassen grabbed the first at 13:30, finishing off a pretty tic-tac-toe play from Ryder Thompson at the right point, to Chyzowski at the bottom of the right circle and over to the Hawks' captain on the back door for a tap-in. Portland doubled its lead four minutes after that when Luca Cagnoni rushed down the right wing, held up in the offensive zone and floated a perfect seam pass to a streaking Aidan Litke for a quick wrist shot under Avakyan's glove.
Portland continued to pour it on in the third period, boosting the lead to three on Diego Buttazzoni's fourth of the year 3:57 into the final frame. After Cagnoni kickstarted a rush from his own zone, Luke Schelter chipped it ahead to a streaking Nick Johnson, whose rebound was batted in by Buttazzoni in front. With a 4-1 lead, Giannuzzi and the Hawks held it down in their own zone to seal the win.
The Winterhawks are back in action on home ice Tuesday night at 7:00 P.M. against the Red Deer Rebels.
QUOTE OF THE NIGHT presented by BBF TECHNOLOGIES:
"It's a nice relief and it's good to see that we've clinched now. I think now it's about that second step to push to be at the top, to get that higher seed in the playoffs, but it's nice to know you're in and have that little bit of breathing room."
Winterhawks forward Kyle Chyzowski
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2023
- Thunderbirds Fire Past Spokane - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chiefs Drop Seventh Straight, Fall 3-1 to Seattle - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals Lose Close One to Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Giants Back in the Win Column Sunday - Vancouver Giants
- Pats Fall to Tigers 5-1 on Sunday Afternoon - Regina Pats
- Sold Out Crowd Treated To Tigers 5-1 Victory Over Regina - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Silvertips Best Rebels 4-2, Cap off Five-Point Weekend - Everett Silvertips
- Blades Score Four-Unanswered Completing Comeback vs Wheat Kings - Saskatoon Blades
- Blades Comeback to Double up Wheat Kings Sunday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calvert Scores Late to Lift Warriors Past Hitmen on Sunday - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Warriors Edge Hitmen 2-1 - Calgary Hitmen
- Dylan Guenther Assigned to Seattle Thunderbirds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Americans to Wrap up Three-In-Three Weekend in Vancouver - Tri-City Americans
- Winterhawks Clinch Postseason Berth for 12th Consecutive Season - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Day Preview February 5 vs Regina - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Warriors Aim to End Road Trip on High Note in Calgary - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Pats Wrap up Road Trip in Medicine Hat - Regina Pats
- Cowan's Heroics, 45 Saves Not Enough as Chiefs Lose Heartbreaking Shootout to Rebels - Spokane Chiefs
- Rockets Blank Raiders, 4-0 - Kelowna Rockets
- Wheat Kings & Blades Prepare for Sunday Clash - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Melt WHL's Top ICE in Front of Berserk SaskTel Centre - Saskatoon Blades
- Thunderbirds Blanked by Bears - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Winterhawks Clinch 12th Consecutive WHL Playoff Berth - Portland Winterhawks
- Mirwald Stands Tall But Giants Fall to Blazers 4-2 - Vancouver Giants
- Portland Is Playoff Bound After 4-1 Win Over Tri-City - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals' Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Raiders Shut Out By Rockets 4-0 To End Bc Road Trip - Prince Albert Raiders
- Saskatoon Slips Past ICE - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Winterhawks Stories
- Five Winterhawks Alumni Earn Medals at IIHF World Championships
- Darby Brothers Look Forward to Potential Future in Portland
- 'I Play Big in Big Games': Get to Know Morgan Stickney
- Winterhawks Select 11 Players in 2023 WHL Prospects Draft
- Morgan Stickney Becomes First Female American Selected in WHL Draft