Warriors Aim to End Road Trip on High Note in Calgary
February 5, 2023 - Western Hockey League (WHL) - Moose Jaw Warriors News Release
Calgary, AB - A week-long road trip to Alberta comes to an end on Sunday afternoon in Calgary. The Moose Jaw Warriors will battle the Hitmen at the Scotiabank Saddledome.
Moose Jaw is coming off a split of the first two games on the road trip, falling in Lethbridge on Wednesday before knocking off Edmonton on Friday night.
"Friday wasn't our greatest game, we didn't really play a full 60, but we came out with the win, so that's all we're looking for, that's all we wanted, so it's good to come out with the win," Warriors forward Jagger Firkus said.
The win moves the Warriors into third place in the Eastern Conference, one point in front of Saskatoon, who has four games in hand.
Moose Jaw sits 12 points clear of Calgary, who currently holds down sixth place.
This is the fourth and final meeting between these two teams in the regular season with Calgary having won two of the previous three games.
Firkus said Moose Jaw is looking to redeem themselves against the Hitmen.
"We haven't really shown them our best game yet this year, so I'd be happy if we could," Firkus said.
Firkus has been held to a goal and two points in three games against Calgary this season. He feels that he hasn't been at his best in their matchups and wants to change that.
"We need to make sure we go into the game focused and ready," Firkus said. "It's a two o'clock game, so that throws you off a bit, but go into the game making sure you're ready to play."
The Warriors will be keeping a close eye on the Hitmen's active defencemen. Firkus said it comes down to playing a tight defensive game.
"You've got to make sure you're strong on the walls, their D-men jump up and we've got to be ready for that, we should be able to read it," he said.
The Warriors and Hitmen square off at 3 p.m. CST on Sunday.
Tune into all the action on Country 100 and WHL Live, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 2:40 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2023
- Thunderbirds Fire Past Spokane - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Chiefs Drop Seventh Straight, Fall 3-1 to Seattle - Spokane Chiefs
- Royals Lose Close One to Blazers - Victoria Royals
- Giants Back in the Win Column Sunday - Vancouver Giants
- Pats Fall to Tigers 5-1 on Sunday Afternoon - Regina Pats
- Sold Out Crowd Treated To Tigers 5-1 Victory Over Regina - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Silvertips Best Rebels 4-2, Cap off Five-Point Weekend - Everett Silvertips
- Blades Score Four-Unanswered Completing Comeback vs Wheat Kings - Saskatoon Blades
- Blades Comeback to Double up Wheat Kings Sunday - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Calvert Scores Late to Lift Warriors Past Hitmen on Sunday - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Warriors Edge Hitmen 2-1 - Calgary Hitmen
- Dylan Guenther Assigned to Seattle Thunderbirds - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Americans to Wrap up Three-In-Three Weekend in Vancouver - Tri-City Americans
- Winterhawks Clinch Postseason Berth for 12th Consecutive Season - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Day Preview February 5 vs Regina - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Warriors Aim to End Road Trip on High Note in Calgary - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Pats Wrap up Road Trip in Medicine Hat - Regina Pats
- Cowan's Heroics, 45 Saves Not Enough as Chiefs Lose Heartbreaking Shootout to Rebels - Spokane Chiefs
- Rockets Blank Raiders, 4-0 - Kelowna Rockets
- Wheat Kings & Blades Prepare for Sunday Clash - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Blades Melt WHL's Top ICE in Front of Berserk SaskTel Centre - Saskatoon Blades
- Thunderbirds Blanked by Bears - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Winterhawks Clinch 12th Consecutive WHL Playoff Berth - Portland Winterhawks
- Mirwald Stands Tall But Giants Fall to Blazers 4-2 - Vancouver Giants
- Portland Is Playoff Bound After 4-1 Win Over Tri-City - Portland Winterhawks
- Royals' Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Cougars - Victoria Royals
- Raiders Shut Out By Rockets 4-0 To End Bc Road Trip - Prince Albert Raiders
- Saskatoon Slips Past ICE - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Moose Jaw Warriors Stories
- 'There's Something Special About Playoffs': Warriors Ready for Game 1 against the Hurricanes
- Series Preview: (5) Lethbridge Hurricanes vs. (4) Moose Jaw Warriors
- Warriors Honour Award Winners for 2022-23 Season
- Warriors Drop Regular Season Finale Against Saskatoon
- Warriors Knock off Raiders in Prince Albert on Friday